Chieftain Mk3

Etienne

Hello gents,

30 years ago, my last model kit was a Tamiya motorized Chieftain so for my come back in the world of modellers, I decided to build the very same kit (without the motor of course ;) )

My first surprise was the very large choice of tools, aftermarket kits and so on available on the market whereas in the past you did with what you had in hands, not so much in my case ... so I decided to enhance the kit with the Eduard PE set, a very extensive kit for a rather old kit (from the 70s, if I remember correctly).

Being on a british forum, I won't offend you describing the inaccuracy of the supposedly Mk5 Chieftain but after many hours trying to understand the differences between the different Marks ... so much informations on the net, in available books, wahou !! ... I then decided to build a Mk3, mainly because other Mks are available from Takom.

Here are the first steps of the build ... the turret with PE added, not always very accurate but a great addition to the kit. I also tried to represent the mantlet with a piece of latex from an old tubular tyre, the GMPG and light cables and many other details.

100_4610.jpg
100_4613.jpg
100_4614.jpg
100_4612.jpg
100_4611.jpg

• Like 9

Then came the hull ... many things to do, and much PE here also mur.gif

> the lower hull :

being initialy a motorized kit, the hull is very "open" so I tried to close the gaps with plasticard. The result is not to bad but I need to climb the learning curve a bit further.

100_4615.jpg

> and the upper hull ... I tried to make it clean and neat as everything's visible there. Not perfect, but correct.

Some modifications and add-ons, to complete the PE : electric cables for the lights, the box behind the storage compartment on the right, the tow cables (made from shifting cable, from my bike's spares box), etc.

100_4621.jpg
100_4619.jpg
100_4620.jpg
100_4618.jpg
100_4616.jpg
100_4617.jpg
100_4622.jpg
100_4623.jpg
100_4629.jpg
100_4624.jpg
100_4627.jpg
100_4625.jpg

> and the bazooka plates : all the handles were replaced with electric wire ... a long but rewarding process, looks better than the molded ones perturbe.gif

100_4626.jpg
100_4628.jpg

Next step, priming ... my first airbrush attempt, let's see :hmmm:

• Like 9

Here it is ... I used Stynylrez primer, so easy to use and the result is very nice in my opinion. I made some tests before airbrushing the kit, of course, I didn't want to ruin my work.

100_4631.jpg

Next steps very soon.

Best regards, E

• Like 7

Hello,

thanks for your comments ...

before applying the base color, I experimented pre-shading (sorry, no pics) and then applied a very nice green (Vallejo gunship green, I think I found the reference on this forum).

The result is quite interesting, slightly more visible on the hull, more subtle on the turret ... the green is rather vibrant but in line with what I found on photos of early Chieftains, mainly Mk2.

The base color will probably tone down with weathering anyway huh.gif

100_4632.jpg
100_4633.jpg

Next step ... black disruptive camouflage, I had to find some good illustrations of the camo scheme and inspiration to imagine what is not visible on photos :mental:

E

• Like 4

I read that the tank crews had by regulation to cover 33% of the surface with black paint to create a disruptive camo scheme ... let me tell you that I didn't even try to verify if I was right, as I had a hard time masking the beast without messing everything, the PE firstly !!

Here is the result on the hull ... big patches of camo paint, often seen on early Chieftains, the camo scheme becoming a little more subtle with the years, on Mk5 then Mk10-11 tanks.

100_4635.jpg

100_4634.jpg

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 3

Hello again,

here is the last completed step of my build ... let's be clear, it took me 3 months to achieve what I displayed these days blush.png I'm not a fast guy, I take my time ...

So, the base color and camo are completed, next step will be detail painting before decals and weathering.

Took me days to find the right color for the thermal sleeve, and still not sure ...

100_4637.jpg100_4636.jpg

Regards, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 5

Hello,

thanks for your comments ... in order to avoid ending up with a total mess after so much hard work, I decided to post-pone the weathering until I'll have some experience on a cheap model (a Zvezda BMP-1).

So, next steps in a couple of weeks ...

@Mattlow : Stynylrez doesn't need thinning, it flows easily through my Iwata 0,5 needle.

Cheers' E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

Lovely job, I like that you went to the trouble of putting all the handles on the bazooka plates! I love the green/black paint scheme too.

Thanks, Tristan ! ... the bazooka plates handles were so poorely molded that I though I should do something ...

E

• 1 month later...

Hello gents,

back to the bench with the Chieftain ... after learning weathering techniques on a Zvezda BMP-1, I made the leap and tried not to ruin all my efforts :unsure:

The drivetrain was upgraded with Friul tracks ... worth the effort !!

Here is the result ... I tried not to overdo the pin washes and filters, I am pretty satisfied. Still have to work on the upper hull and the turret, with subtle dirt and dust weathering ...

img_0110.jpg
img_0111.jpg
img_0112.jpg
img_0113.jpg
img_0114.jpg
img_0115.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 6

On 21/09/2016 at 8:39 PM, Jusjay said:

Looks fantastic, I don't envy you doing a camo pattern on armour, I've yet to try that one!! Keep up that great work :) 

Thanks Jusjay, the camo pattern was not so difficult to achieve ... PE was far more tricky !!

E

• Like 1