Hawker Typhoon SW399 HH*K. Self sealing tank colour?

(ex)Sgtrafman

Evening everyone

A question for all you typhoon phanatics. I'm building SW399 HH*K, am I right in thinking she had a four bladed prop and tempest tail? Also was she a 'bombphoon' or did she carry rockets?

Many thanks in advance

Iain

Yes Iain you are right, SW399 was built with large tailplanes and the 4 blade prop. It would also have had the belly-mounted dust filter (provided in the Airfix 1/72 and 1/24 kits). If you are modelling it with red spinner with yellow spinner back-plate, as in the Xtradecals set with this serial, this was based on a photo taken in July 1945, and the aircraft also had the inner landing gear doors decorated (top 1/3 yellow, middle 1/3 red, bottom 1/3 yellow), and also the 'cuckoo-doors' of the filter for the intake in the centre of the radiator were red with a yellow outline. Source: 2nd Tactical Airforce Vol. 4 p.671, by Shores and Thomas.

175 Sqn was a rockets-only squadron from Mar/Apr 1944 until the end of the war.In the July 1945 photo it shows SW399 with the aluminium Mk. 3 rocket rails (if you're building the 1/72 Airfix- or Brengun, or Academy- the type supplied are Mk.I; aftermarket rails are available).

• Like 1

Yes Iain you are right, SW399 was built with large tailplanes and the 4 blade prop. It would also have had the belly-mounted dust filter (provided in the Airfix 1/72 and 1/24 kits). If you are modelling it with red spinner with yellow spinner back-plate, as in the Xtradecals set with this serial, this was based on a photo taken in July 1945, and the aircraft also had the inner landing gear doors decorated (top 1/3 yellow, middle 1/3 red, bottom 1/3 yellow), and also the 'cuckoo-doors' of the filter for the intake in the centre of the radiator were red with a yellow outline. Source: 2nd Tactical Airforce Vol. 4 p.671, by Shores and Thomas.

175 Sqn was a rockets-only squadron from Mar/Apr 1944 until the end of the war.In the July 1945 photo it shows SW399 with the aluminium Mk. 3 rocket rails (if you're building the 1/72 Airfix- or Brengun, or Academy- the type supplied are Mk.I; aftermarket rails are available).

Hi Ben

Brilliant thanks mate.

Regards

Iain

Hi everyone

Another quick question. I want to display my model as though it's under going some maintenance with panels removed. Would the fuel tank in front of the ip be resealable and if so would it have been in a red colour?

Again thanks in advance

Iain