The A-Team of the 60's

I brought think kit at a show last weekend:

28746200201_5963efb4cc_c.jpg

I couldn't put my finger on why I liked the look of it so much until it hit me that it has the same wheels as the A-Team van. And well, I think you can guess where my brain headed off to then.

Yep a what-if 50's A-Team van, that is until I noticed that the kit has the wrong engine for the Truck. It actually comes with a 427 Cobra engine which didn't exist until 1965. So I'm going with the idea that all the start up money the WWII vets could scrounge was enough for the latest hot big block from Shelby and a 10 year old Truck with a knackered engine lol.

In keeping with the hot rod sort of theme I'm going with I've decided to go with a smoothed bumper delete:

28208046753_e9c54248f9_c.jpg

28746198741_1a08c4ee1c_c.jpg

I've also added a filler piece (blue plastic) to enclose the grill section fully like the real truck has, which monogram decided to leave out:

28717810142_b794294034_c.jpg

I sanded the molded on details off the bulkhead in keeping with the smoothed look. And filled the join between the piece and the shell:

28822734495_9a61906453_c.jpg

A quick look at the look of it so far;

28746197831_385bfc38ef_c.jpg

28538420090_441ca69b40_c.jpg

28717807452_25acf5b482_c.jpg

Spoiler Alert!!!

28538418000_c99442394a_c.jpg

28746200481_48737fe3d7_c.jpg

The spoiler is from the spares box and comes from a Hasegawa Lancer Evo 1.

A quick look at how it'll all look together:

28538418950_71cdfb5eff_c.jpg

The grill is going to be body coloured so wont be as Gangsta looking as it is being gold lol:

28746195801_043b5c4faf_c.jpg

Since then I've also removed the molded on badge on the bonnet and have washed it all ready for some primer.

This is also another stress relief build to go along side my Nascar one, so progress will likely be slow.

TTFN Ashley

• Like 7

Great body work on this one so far Ashley. I ended up sanding hood emblem off too on an F-100 I built as I didn't like the molded in look for it. You should be able to have a blast in the engine compartment as that engine bay is HUGE!

• Like 1

Great body work on this one so far Ashley. I ended up sanding hood emblem off too on an F-100 I built as I didn't like the molded in look for it. You should be able to have a blast in the engine compartment as that engine bay is HUGE!

I don't know about the engine bay. When I opened the box for the first time I was taken aback with how big the truck itself was lol.

I managed to get some primer on it last night. Will post pics when I've got the colours on.

Ashley

Looking good Ashley.

Thanks mate :)

Nice idea and work.

Bleach should get rid of the gold on the grill.

Probably too late, but the wing? I thought of

splicing two ailerons from 1/48th Sabres? together.

:popcorn:

Thank but it's too late for the spoiler. Plus I don't have any aircraft kits lol. But I get the gist of what you mean and I think that would look good. Probably suits the era more than the one I'm using too lol.

And too late for the gold plating too. Wilko's £1 oven cleaner does the trick within minutes. Though the gold took about an hour and half to come off. Must be a different plating lol.

Ashley

• Like 1

Great start to an interesting what if project looking forward to seeing this progress

(Pace vehicle for your NASCAR theme build?)

Roger

Thanks Roger. No not a pace car sadly. Just something I couldn't wait to start amd makes an interesting change when I get a bit bored with the nascars lol.

Nice van,Great so far.

Richard

Thanks Richard :)

I really like the look of this, something properly different. Also noticed that you dnt like taking the easy option with your most recent builds lol.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun. I liked it as soon as I saw the kit. I find it more interesting than the usual pickup version.

And what do you mean don't like the easy option? ;)lol. Although I've put a bit of work into the body I still find it more relaxing than decaling a whole livery lol.

Ashley

Oh no don't get me wrong Ashley I ment it as a good thing, recently you haven't been doing oob builds there's been a lot of differences like with this the a-team and with your big nascar builds

Shaun

• Like 1

Oh no don't get me wrong Ashley I ment it as a good thing, recently you haven't been doing oob builds there's been a lot of differences like with this the a-team and with your big nascar builds

Shaun

I didn't take it in a bad way Shaun :) I see what you mean but don't worry. The Capri I'm building is completely oob ;)lol

Ashley

Quick update on this.

I got the bonnet and shell primed, painted the red and masked for the black.

Decided to got all black instead of the black and dark grey two tone.

Anyway I removed the masking today with a few small bleeds. Unfortunately wet sanding to try and remove them ended up ruining the paint job, so I've decided the best thing to do is to strip it and start again. The problem is I have no money to buy the chemicals I prefer so it'll have to wait a couple weeks until the end of the month.

Sorry chaps, I know this was a popular build :(

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

Try oven cleaner and a plastic bag overnight.

We can wait though!

Oven cleaner doesn't work for me. Prefect on chrome plated parts but just refuses to shift the paint. I've found that 99% IPA mixed with brake fluid will do the job in around 12hrs lol.

Ashley

Ashley there is a very good and pretty cheap way to strip paint. Ipa (not the drink) it's about a tenner from eBay delivered for a couple of litres

Shaun

Yep i use IPA. The 99% type but I don't have any money at all left, so it'll have to wait till the end of the month lol. I have found however that the IPA on its own will take a few days to strip the paint and even then it'll leave some paint residue behind. But if you mix in a bottle of brake fluid as well, it'll strip it back to near bare plastic within 12hrs ;)

I haven't perfected my ratios yet but I used a 500ml bottle of IPA and an opened 1L bottle of brake fluid. I'm going to try a 1:1 ratio of 500ml quantities and see where it gets me lol.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

Yep i use IPA. The 99% type but I don't have any money at all left, so it'll have to wait till the end of the month lol. I have found however that the IPA on its own will take a few days to strip the paint and even then it'll leave some paint residue behind. But if you mix in a bottle of brake fluid as well, it'll strip it back to near bare plastic within 12hrs ;)

I haven't perfected my ratios yet but I used a 500ml bottle of IPA and an opened 1L bottle of brake fluid. I'm going to try a 1:1 ratio of 500ml quantities and see where it gets me lol.

Ashley

Ashley the alchemist :evil_laugh:

• Like 1

Ok so here's some pics of the body fresh from masking:

29015452216_cac45402eb_c.jpg

28943095722_7ef7e7e9f9_c.jpg

28943091612_1be96ea56c_c.jpg

29015447316_959b759508_c.jpg

Some of the paint bleeds can be seen and this pic is the result of trying to sand them out :(

Notice the white spot on the roof.

29015446236_57420ffe97_c.jpg

Excuse the dust but it's been sitting a while, waiting patiently to be stripped.

And to prove that I'm actually still working on this project. Here's the engine:

28943090262_c6a25a93ae_c.jpg

Still plodding away lol

TTFN Ashley

• Like 1