1/35 Trumpeter K5 Railroad gun "Leopold"

I agree with Mike's comment about there being something about rail guns that make them so fascinating. Definitely something Jules Verne-ish about the subject and your build is a really fine example.

Nice work sir!

Tony

I'm another suffer of the affliction, I've got the 1/72 version of this one and keep dreaming of finding the rolling stock to go with it so I can build Anzio Annie skulking in her tunnel between salvoes. The firing site is still pretty much as it was in 1943-44 and plenty of images are available online.

Following your build with much interest now that I've discovered it. :coolio:

thanks guys

Here is this weekend's worth of work

Starting with the gun barrel. I repainted the metal part and it looks so much better. The new colour of choice: Gunze Metal Black

IMG_3836_zpsnzpgit9d.jpg

IMG_3837_zps1ecwveff.jpg

Then the wooden decks are finished. The first pic is just the base wood colors and then the second pic shows after the grey has been sprayed on and rubbed away using the hairspray technique:

IMG_3840_zpswpk313du.jpg

IMG_3847_zps4dmv9f1g.jpg

And all together:

IMG_3843_zpsouuxsavd.jpg

IMG_3844_zpsylgnativ.jpg

IMG_3845_zpsysg10nwg.jpg

and the front truck has also been started (and almost finished)

IMG_3853_zpsupf58mqs.jpg

IMG_3856_zpsfscu2smw.jpg

IMG_3858_zpswghy6mm5.jpg

Well, that's it for now.. I'll work on it some more tonight and will hope to have this done in the next few days

Thanks for looking

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 5

thanks guys

Well, the gun itself etc is pretty much done now. I'm not going to weather it like I've seen some because it just looks too much. I've just gone for rail dust/grime and some water marks down the sides etc. No rusting

I'll post some proper RFI shots once the base is finished

IMG_3868_zps5u9ruvay.jpg

IMG_3887_zps5rk8o3pt.jpg

IMG_3886_zpsiyprxsfp.jpg

IMG_3883_zps6u0krvo6.jpg

IMG_3881_zpsjrxdvpc0.jpg

IMG_3882_zpsieyakdkb.jpg

IMG_3880_zpsbyol6ljt.jpg

IMG_3879_zpsr9rgzaew.jpg

IMG_3875_zpsv6dwc0bk.jpg

IMG_3877_zpsrz6uivwg.jpg

IMG_3866_zps7cyl9orw.jpg

IMG_3878_zps1kzrd1r0.jpg

Well, that's pretty much it for the K5. Just need to finish the base off and that won't take too long

As always, thanks for watching

MH

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Si,

good that you are not over-weathering it. Most people exaggerate way beyond reality (especially the tanks - a real shame). Always remember the gestapo and SS death squads... If you wasted, misused or maltreted your expensive machinery, your life was at risk. The K5s probably rested inside tunnels 95% of the time, so there would not be a lot of rust in the first place, except for this Flugrost stuff...

it is great as it is! And on the diorama, it is always possible to throw homeopathic amounts of dust at it.

/Stefan