Airbrush a must?

ZitchDog

So I have just come to painting the externals of my first build and it's looking like an airbrush is a must to achieve the best results? It could be my distinct lack of skill but I've just done my first coat on the underside with Enamel paint and it's quite poor, very obvious brush strokes. Is an airbrush the best way to go or am I just pants?

Cheers :)

I've been agonising about this for decades.

Small models such as say a 1/72 Spitfire I think can quite easily be painted by brush, whilst say a 1/48 Spitfire is marginal 'do I need an airbrush?' One member here, Tony O'Toole, defies fate and produces super models in the larger scales. I have brush envy!

Invest in good quality brushes, chisel head and round, broad and pointed. Clean thoroughly after each use.

You don't say what size model you have done but in any event when brushing, stir well and brush thin layers, building up as necessary. Acrylics usually need more than one coat to build up 'density' of colour. Over painting wet layers causes drag and that's to be avoided - if using acrylics about an hour between layers should see you safe.

Uneven layers can be flattened using micro mesh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Mesh-Cushioned-Abrasive-Polishing-6x3-Inch/dp/B003RTABUK

This will gloss up matt paint for applying the transfers/decals.

Practice your technique on an old model to perfect your technique.

On the other hand, if using the larger scales, spray cans can give good results before investing in an air brush.

Hope this helps!

Trevor

• Like 2

No you're not pants. I will say get an airbrush. You will never look back. We've all been there - brush painting - wondering how we can make our models look half as good as the ones on display on this site. If you can, go to a show and try one out. Like all things, they take practice. But the practice is fun, and the results, when you mix the paint right is awesome.

Do some research, buy one (and a compressor) and enjoy a whole new world of modelling.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 2

Depends on your personal preferences

Both ways have pros and cons

With an airbrush you get a nice "feathered" edge while with an brush it's sharp; vice versa its hard to achieve it while it's possible with many thin coats with an brush or masking when airbrushing.

To the brush strokes:

I didn't know if you do so already but try to thin the paint and several thin coats

I personally would use acrylics that are water thinable fir the beginning

As you said it is your first model I wouldn't buy an airbrush already

Maybe use some paint of an spraycan as a primer

Hope I could help

But I would say that you should still get some other opinions

Regards

Levin

Edited by Levin

An airbrush is absolutely not a "must". There is little I can add to what Trevor has said. Owning an airbrush is certainly not going to make you a better modeller. Like any tool, it is only as good as the person using it. Once upon a time, there were no such things but, we modellers managed. I used to have one and even got quite proficient with it but, after a few months I got rid of it. Never looked back. One of my better decisions.

Apart from the endless chore of cleaning, inordinate amounts of masking and, having to mix/thin often silly little batches of paint I decided that brush painting was a lot more fun and a lot less fuss. One thing an airbrush will never do is give the sense of achievement you get from a good brushed finish. Try brush painting a 1/72 B-52 & you will get what I mean. However, ultimately the choice is yours. Practice as ever makes perfect.

Scale should not be a bar to brush painting. I have brush painted the 1/32 Mosquito you mention and, brush painted all of the Airfix 1/24 kits. Some colours, notably primary colours like white,yellow or red are notoriously difficult get a good finish with so, I tend to use spray cans if there is a large area to cover

You say this is your first build? I wouldn't worry about it. My first efforts were truly horrendous but then, I was very young and didn't care!! They were MY models! Didn't take long to improve and I do not regret my decision to ditch the airbrush and I will never use one of them again. However you do it,have fun!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

An airbrush and compressor is the best £70 quid of modelling kit I have bought since coming back to the hobby. I got a cheap compressor that came with a Badger copy airbrush. 18 months later I am still using the airbrush for priming and varnishing. As max suggests micro mesh is a good investment for brushes and airbrushes. I would spend another £12 on Ultimate thinners and cleaner as they work with all acrylic paints and last ages.

An airbrush REALLY offers something else. It also comes with added complexity, though if you learn stuff, then I suppose things will be manageable.

My biggest gripe, is sort of having to add a gloss coat, which is something I am not sure how to best do with an airbrush (except for when modeling submarine kits).

Things I can do with an airbrush:

• adding a layer of primer, no problem

• adding layers of colors, no problem

• using masking tape, no problem

• adding gloss coat layer(s), problematic

• adding a layer of matte or satin finish, no problem

• adding panel line color, on top of gloss coat, ok, but not perfect (I guess I should use something other than Tamiya panel line color, inconsistent consistency)

• cleaning airbrush, no problem

Whether airbrush or traditional brush, you will need lots of practice with different techniques to get good results. One useful tip is to have a "mule", a gash model that you can use to practise these techniques. You can of course use plastic sheets or any gash shape, but somehow it works better with a real shape, possibly because they present real problems.

Personally I model in 1/72, 1/76 and 1/700 with a traditional brush, and see no good reason to change. In particular, the thought of doing WW2 camouflage patterns on a 1/700 destroyer with a airbrush is horrendous (and perhaps rather stupid). However, I do have an airbrush, compressor, fan booth etc, which get used for specific purposes such as mottling the fuselage sides on Luftwaffe aircraft. I would also recommend the airbrush for larger models, or indeed for large 1/72 types with large areas of a single colour, and for fading of large areas. It isn't a must, without which modelling is impossible, but it is a very useful tool. It won't automatically produce good results - you will have to invest time and effort..

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

On balance, I think Graham might be right. An airbrush might not be a "must have". I use mine for priming and first coats, but I have found that for most other stuff I prefer a brush. I model 700 and 1200 scale ships, you can prime them, and put the standard grey on them with an airbrush, but the detailed stuff requires a paintbrush and steady hand, unless you want to spend ages masking and taping the model. In addition, if you know what you are doing, and use thin coats, the finish with a brush can be just as good as an airbrush.

I suppose it's "horses for courses", the best thing to do is learn to us both well, and not be tied exclusively to one or the other.

Best Wishes,

Will.

• Like 1

One impression I get from all the helpful comment on here is that some paints will only airbrush well and not brush while others are the opposite. Being an oldie I have to say the old Humbrol enamels circa 1980's were great for brush painting

• Like 1

It's not a must have, but not having one is probably going to limit you.

Someone who's good with an airbrush will achieve a superior finish and be able to achieve more effects than someone who is good with a brush will be able to, in the same way that a good rear wheel drive car is preferred by far more driving enthusiasts than good front wheel drive cars.

A reasonable dual action airbrush and a compressor is easily the best thing I ever bought for modelling.

• Like 1

As JT above, and cleaning is no more a hassle than cleaning brushes to me.Don't think you have to strip it down to it's individual components to clean it after every use, you simply don't.

• Like 2

Wow, a lot of great comments and advice, thanks everyone. It is definitely something I am going to invest in, and will be spending a lot of time practicing.

Thanks again. :)

A great decision. I would recommend checking out youtube. There are loads of hints and tips videos to get you started.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

I started out brush painting. I brush painted a 1/48 Spitfire which turned out ok finish wise. Then I did a Red Arrows Folland Gnat with a red gloss which turned out with horrendous brush stroke marks.

I invested in an airbrush with the idea that it would give me a better finish and ultimately it has however i went through a model or two getting used to using it and getting the right paint consistancy etc.

I'd say finding a paint that works for you is the key thing as good results can be obtained with either hairy stick or airbrush.

• Like 1

I've seen modellers doing everything including the wildest WW2 Luftwaffe schemes using a paintbrush, so I'd say that an airbrush is not a must have.

However, my feeling (based on my personal experience) is that an average modeller will achieve better results using an airbrush and that learning to do the same with the hairy stick will require more practice and some talent. Now the problem is that practice is something everyone can do, talent is something that not everyone has, for example I don't.

The airbrush allows a large number of colour schemes and effects to be applied without having to become a master. Of course learning to use an airbrush properly also requires plenty of practice and owning an airbrush requires a good degree of work to clean and maintain the tool.

At the same time I also agree with others who have mentioned how different paint jobs may be better suited to one or the other. Good brushes are therefore a vital tool for any modellers, regardless of the use or not of an airbrush.

It's debatable if it's best to invest in an airbrush at the very beginning of a modeller "career", most arrive at these tools after having mastered some more basic skills, in any case the cost of some airbrushes and compressors today is way lower than it used to be when I first approached the hobby so maybe it's worth doing this from the start.

One thing of which I'm sure though is that it's better to spend a little more today on a better quality airbrush (and compressor) rather than starting too cheap and then becoming disappointed. A good quality airbrush can now be bought for £60 or so, I'd buy one of these any time instead of a £30 chinese clone. When properly maintained, an airbrush will last for 2 or 3 decades, investing a few more £ today is IMHO the best option.

Spray cans also have a place, however today they are not really that great value for money IMHO. A good quality spray can is not cheap and is useless for doing little more than applying a solid coat of paint. Granted, some use them to great effect but they don't allow the kind of flexibility of an airbrush.

And speaking of value for money, get a good compressor for your airbrush, never get tempted by compressed air cans ! They may seem cheap but in the end they are more expensive than a compressor

• Like 1

Depends on what you want from the hobby, I have no interest in upgrading, maybe I will hit a quality ceiling with a brush but i don't care, I'm happy with what I do produce and having an airbrush would kill the fun of it. But if your not easiliy satisfied and intended to take finished models to shows, competition etc then yes an airbrush is a must have tool.

• Like 1

With an airbrush, you can add multiple layers of paint, and it will look ok.

I think it is reasonable to say that with a hairy brush, it will look worse and worse the more paint you add.

Using masking tape together with paint applied with a hairy brush, will probably lead to some noticeable edges I think.

Whether airbrush or traditional brush, you will need lots of practice with different techniques to get good results. One useful tip is to have a "mule", a gash model that you can use to practise these techniques. You can of course use plastic sheets or any gash shape, but somehow it works better with a real shape, possibly because they present real problems.

Excellent advice, Graham.

I'm dedicated to using an airbrush for as much of the painting of my models as I can. I feel that they give a better paint finish that is thinner, smoother, and you don't have any worries about brush-marks or losing detail under successive layers of paint. I've seen some fabulous models that have been brush-painted, but I prefer to take the easy way out and airbrush my models. You also get the opportunity to do soft-edged camo, squiggle, mottling and other effects without resorting to fancy tricks. Practice, practice, practice is the best advice if you decide to go for it though, which is where Graham's mule idea comes into play. :)

• Like 1

Airbrush is NOT a must, I have 3 and find that as a paint job becomes necessary I stockpile all models until I have enough to spray all at once.....its a chore cleaning them up after you have finished with them, you sometimes get blockages, spillage and sometimes the things don't work.........I hate using a brush also, leaves brushmarks, possibly hairs drop out the brush, I prefer the airbrush for the finish you get from it.

If you look hard enough on Brit Modeller, you will see a fair few models all painted with a brush and to look at them you would think they have been spray painted.

I bought the spray brush as a luxury item, I keep upgrading them...........remember to consider spray booths, this increases the cost, I use a cardboard box with a hole cut in the back, even just spray outside or in the garage.

Its nice to have the option to own one(or two or more)but I as mentioned earlier, we do have some good modellers on britmodeller that put some spray painters to shame

• Like 1

A cheap spray booth can be made from a kitchen extractor hood inverted and fitted with a melamine board surround, evacuating through the nearest wall/window. Mine cost £30 plus the cost of the board, which is dirt cheap. Might have to replace the hood soon, as it's getting on a bit (8+ years) and sounding like the bearings are going, but it has served me well, and I've not exploded due to the vapours getting into the motor. Afterall, they wouldn't put a source of ignition in a cooker hood that might be over a gas hob, would they? :smartass:

• Like 1