North American OV-10A Bronco, Da Nang, 1969

Cheers Jesper, I`ll be looking at that when an up to date kit comes out !

Splendid B)

While I am 'at it'; these books abouts FAC's may interest you too?

And if I may tire you a bit more, a few Vietnam War books

Take care

J

Edited by JesperCFS2
  • Like 1

Beautiful work Russ, care to share any work you did to bring that kit to life? I've been dying to do an accurate Bronco however I don't feel like dishing out $100 US for a Paragon set when they pop up for sale from time to time.

• Like 1

Beautiful work Russ, care to share any work you did to bring that kit to life? I've been dying to do an accurate Bronco however I don't feel like dishing out $100 US for a Paragon set when they pop up for sale from time to time.

Cheers Whiskey,

It`s been a while but here`s what I remember:....Interior was completely scratch built, the wing is off a Testors issue to correct the span but ignored the engine spacing as it`s only a few mm, added the extra intake on the engine from a piece of drop tank, made the wing root fairings from card and filler, the bulge on the rear fuselage is a slice off a drop tank off something ?, the tail boom fairings are card and filler, the fillets for the vertical fin are card, I had to angle the fuselage sponsons down as they were horizontal on the kit ( which appears to be a prototype ), scratch built exhausts, reworked the main wheel hubs, boxed in U/C bays, refined the U/C legs a bit but hard to take upside down photo`s due to all the aerials. Oh and scratch built windscreen wiper.

The rest was easy....................... You`d be better off starting with the Testors kit though and not the Hawk as some of the work will be done for you.

Hope this helps, good luck, Cheers Russ.

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice job Russ. Have you looked at the Testors 1/48 Bronco? I've got 1 or 2 in my stash but have not started on anything. I know we can always find something wrong with kits but don't remember hearing much about Testors. Just wondering.

Thom

• Like 1

Really nice job Russ. Have you looked at the Testors 1/48 Bronco? I've got 1 or 2 in my stash but have not started on anything. I know we can always find something wrong with kits but don't remember hearing much about Testors. Just wondering.

Thom

Cheers Thom, the Testors kit is the Hawk kit modified to more resemble an operational airframe. They added an extension to the mainplane to correct the span but not the engine spacing ( though it`s only a few millimtres, so I didn`t bother ) they also angled down the weapons sponsons, added exhausts and added fillets to the fins/tail booms.

You still have to scratch build an interior or at least another seat for the back, add the extra intake on top the big one, add a fillet to the mainplane/fuselage join, box in the wheel wells, add the bulge on the top rear fuselage and as many details as you see fit.

Hope this helps............

• Like 1

Hi Russ-

Thanks for the info. Most of the models I build to "look cool". I'm a little gunshy of the rivet-counter lifestyle. That's one of the reasons I'm so impressed with the works of art on this website! All you guys are amazing! And it does encourage me to try to step up to the next level, I'm just glad no one is looking over my shoulder laughing! And you guys are all so willing to help other modelers! I feel like I should be paying admission. Uh oh, don't want to give the boss any ideas!

Thanks again,

Thom

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Russ,

I've returned to this thread for renewed inspiration having discovered my 'find of the year' in the recent SMW16 Kit Swap. I managed to snag a 1:48 scale OV-10 package, which included the Donor Kit, Paragon Update set, SAC metal undercarriage and Caracal decals for £25 !. I arrived late so I'm not sure how others overlooked this absolute steal but then maybe they are not all into COIN aircraft. Taking into account that the majority of your work was performed with scratch building, if I can do half as much justice with this OV-10 package I will be very happy. I am still mightily impressed with what you have produced here (and, of course, all your other COIN aircraft).

Cheers

Mark    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Russ,

I've returned to this thread for renewed inspiration having discovered my 'find of the year' in the recent SMW16 Kit Swap. I managed to snag a 1:48 scale OV-10 package, which included the Donor Kit, Paragon Update set, SAC metal undercarriage and Caracal decals for £25 !. I arrived late so I'm not sure how others overlooked this absolute steal but then maybe they are not all into COIN aircraft. Taking into account that the majority of your work was performed with scratch building, if I can do half as much justice with this OV-10 package I will be very happy. I am still mightily impressed with what you have produced here (and, of course, all your other COIN aircraft).

Cheers

Mark    

Hi Mark, that`s a great bargain you got there, look forward to seeing it completed