Halcyon Power loader restoration

This is the kit I bought in the early nineties which,to be brutally honest,I cocked up in fine style,didn't prime it,painted it in gloss enamels,(So it ended up looking like a JCB that had ideas above its station) over did it with the weathering,and really,really hated the so-called Ripley figure which it came with(an almost legendary lack of any resemblance to the character ) Perhaps mindful that at the time it was an expensive kit, I didn't, thankfully, bin it.

Fast forward a couple of decades,and I was checking out the Neca range of figures,and had ordered the Alien 3 Ripley figure with a view to scratch building a base and filling the joins and giving it a repaint,When i received it it struck me that it was only about 1.5 cm taller than the figure supplied with the Power loader (I actually ordered the Ripley figure that was a tribute to the toy line released in the mid nineties,it was basically the same figure as the Aliens Ripley,but with a basic paint job,a neck scarf and a smart gun,and considerably cheaper too!

The Power loader went into an over cleaner bath which stripped most of the paint away,and I added about a 1 cm plastic block to heighten the main body,the Ripley figure was shortened by removing the ball joints from the legs and the legs pushed further up into the cavity.

And so we ended up with this.

pwl1_zpsxfygzvac.jpg

Which,admittedly,looks very "toy like"

But after a filling and sanding(although not up to Hunter roses spidey conversion efforts)and a few light coats of primer,we have this.

pwl2_zpsugsdbwrp.jpg

Which,for the first time in about 25 years,I'm actually happy with!

Sorry about all the waffle,future updates should thankfully be shorter :)

Cheers

Andy

• Like 12

After a couple of days fettling this is were I am.Sprayed humbrol metal over the whole kit,then using a few old bushes, stippled with Maskol,applied about 37,000 coats of light yellow,masked off and added the stripes,then rubbed off the Maskol.

pwl%203_zps4txojbnp.jpg

Yellows about the worst colour to apply to anything I reckon!

Andy

• Like 7

At least you actually built yours.

Mine is still in the box ('cause I hated the"Ripley" figure too).

Nice, keep beating the hell out of it and I reckon you'll have a proper piece of construction gear.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Tzulscha

Just in case anyone has any doubts about how bad the original Ripley figure was,I give you

ploader3_zpsjsja2hl6.jpg

*Random photo from the internet,The original builder did the best he could with what he had!

A couple of relaxing days weathering and attaching various hydraulic lines and added a few extras like the hydraulic lines to the feet and connections made from cut down Q-tips,much to the bewilderment of my Wife and Daughter :)

pwl%204_zpsd2mjxk1b.jpg

Time to move onto the figure.

Andy

• Like 5

Cheers!

Progress on the figure,nearly done,just need to make up a safety harness and try to get her to fit into the power loader!

pwl5_zpsr7m28w72.jpg

Ta for looking in.

• Like 4

Thanks All

Well,just hit the "Proof of concept" wall and have had a nervous 30 minutes gluing all the various bits into place,but Ripley's "In Situ"

pwl6_zpsbyo2nlhw.jpg

Getting there.

• Like 2

Ok,So shes all strapped in,had a bit of a battle trying to get the roll cage to fit,New"Aliens The set photography" book arrived the other day to help with designing the base,plastic card is at the ready!

pwl7_zpswue6yjpe.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• Like 5

Been bashing about with plastic card and came up with a rudimentary Sulaco Cargo bay base,the grid is made from trimmed tile spacers set in a cut away.

pwl8_zpsxlx5lmvp.jpg

The Bishop figure is another cracking little Neca figure "Queen Attack Bishop",the paint job it came with was actually very good,but after filling and gluing needed a full repaint(I reckon its an excellent likeness)

bishop1_zpstmdgqvti.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• Like 3

Cheers Guys,thanks for the input!

Ok,More work on the Bishop figure,may not be SFW :)

The quality of these Neca figures is frankly outstanding,although I've repainted it,out of the box it was a lovely little figure.

bishop2_zpsbomoadx1.jpg

More grusome details

bishop3_zpstgrdlhwb.jpg

Cheers!

andy

• Like 5