Air Atlantique Dakota

Skids

Hi All

While I am awaiting responses for my ATR72 decals thought I would keep the mojo going with this.

For my second build (OMG what am I doing I usually struggle to get 1 done) I am going to do an Air Atlantique Dak.

My first experience of flying was at an Airshow in the 80s when my dad paid for a flight in one of these. So another nostalgia build for me.

Box and decals, will get some sprue shots over the weekend.

DC3%201_zpsv9mwx7jy.jpg

Thanks

Simon

• Like 3

Nice Choice. I must get a few more 1/144 Daks in. The 1/72 collection of mine is taking up a lot of space.

Look forward to seeing this progress.

• Like 1

The Roden kit is a little gem. I built it earlier this year using F-DCAL's Sabena sheet. The only issue I remember was trying to restore the beautiful engraved detail after sanding, particularly around the wing roots.

• Like 1

The Roden kit is a little gem. I built it earlier this year using F-DCAL's Sabena sheet. The only issue I remember was trying to restore the beautiful engraved detail after sanding, particularly around the wing roots.

Well its was your suggestion to get the kit as it was cheap :fight: so If I get any problems Ill send it to you too fix :coolio:

Seriously I did look at the sprues quickly and it does look really nice.

• Like 1

Well its was your suggestion to get the kit as it was cheap :fight: so If I get any problems Ill send it to you too fix :coolio:

Hmm... do I detect a theme developing? I'm already getting the blame for an ICM IL-62. :confused:

I'll be surprised if you have any serious problems. The rear door needs to be fitted carefully and as I've already said the detail is so fine that reinstating anything lost in sanding is a bit of a challenge. Otherwise I remember it as completely straightforward. The biggest issue by far is trying to make decals designed for the Minicraft kit fit the much more accurate Roden one as I discovered with the F-DCAL Sabena sheet. That should be much less of an issue with the Air Atlantique decals.

• Like 1

(I won't blame you for the Airbus A320 then as you said you had decals for sale :winkgrin: )

The Roden Dakota is a nice little kit. Panel lines are really fine. Here is the sprues shot (Not that with my mistake pic you can see the panel lines. I have put the fuselage together, will get a pic of that tonight.

DC3%202_zpsjp74mif8.jpg

Thanks

Simon

• Like 2

It is a nice scheme Mike, bet seeing these all the time was great!

Little bit of progress

Put the fuselage together, then remembered that Skodadriver had mentioned the wing root, and true it would need work. So stuck the bottom wing section so I can sort the upper wing without ruining the fine detail.

DC3%203_zpsskhtwoo6.jpg

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

This has started again (although my duel father/daughter build is going to take over as she wants it for her school display)

I got the main bits put together, as Skodadriver has pointed out the wing roots were a good but not great fit and needed a bit of filler. But managed to get it done.

Dak4_zpsmojs1owm.jpg

She is now primed and ready for spraying so hopefully more progress soon

Regards

Simon

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry to all the other people in this GB but I have been very slack, and various things keep getting in the way of my builds.

I doubt the ATR will get done but I have every intention of getting this one finished! She is now sprayed White/Grey with just the black to spray then I will start putting the rest together and decals.

DC3%204_zpsbye7dogd.jpg

Thanks

Simon

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Sorry I have not posted or been a very good BM GB participant. Life has had a few ups and downs but I have got this to a point I am calling done.

More pics in the Gallery

DC3%206_zpsmmvi5vzb.jpg

Thanks

Simon

• Like 6

Great to see it finished Simon, especially since you were holding me responsible for your purchase of the kit!  You've made a really good job of a lovely little kit. I've taken my own advice and stocked up while Hannants still have cheap Spookys.

:goodjob:

Dave G

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Great to see it finished Simon, especially since you were holding me responsible for your purchase of the kit!  You've made a really good job of a lovely little kit. I've taken my own advice and stocked up while Hannants still have cheap Spookys.

:goodjob:

Dave G

I was holding you responsible, but you were right :worthy:. What a lovely little kit and very grateful for the recommendation. Overall happy with my first attempt at an Airliner.

Thanks

Simon