Thanks Andrew,

couldn't manage club night so carried on with G-BALZ.  Sticky out bits added and pretty much complete (some aerials to add but these will be done at the end).

Photos include the rotors but still need to finish painting these.  I've also primed the floats (no pic).

30267727875_c141c61465_c.jpg

30232870256_ba3b017f10_c.jpg

30267728335_c1802e1ed9_c.jpg

29637114344_9912244170_c.jpg

cheers for looking

Aaron

• Like 4

Thanks guys. Big hurdle!! The main body of the aircraft is pretty much done... after finishing the floats and adding the aerials I've coated the whole model with alclad semi Matt varnish. 

Masking tape tape removed and a few touch ups required but very pleased with how it all looks.  I refrained from giving the whole model a wash with oils as I think it would have ruined the look.  I did apply some washes around the exhausts, grills, baggage hold and on the door runners but that's about it.

apart from the wipers, lights, aerial wire down the tail boom and windows in the sliding doors the 'main' part is pretty much done.  Just the rotors to do.

30306836705_518494e87a_c.jpg
30191151422_8570721852_c.jpg
30271722126_abf6346bf0_c.jpg

• Like 6

That looks great now. I agree that it doesn't need much weathering but you should know about this. 

Great effort and I look forward to seeing it in the gallery. 

Colin. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to finish my 212 yesterday.  Well done everyone, and thanks for taking part in the group build.

Heres my Bristow 212, more will be in the ready for inspection section soon.

30967039716_2714c909e1_z.jpg

31002171515_164b82229c_z.jpg

30885645502_4290abf278_z.jpg

30885632842_739d7efff6_z.jpg

31002147165_6580698504_z.jpg

30914052641_0d082b1431_z.jpg

thanks for looking

• Like 6

Jings....braw! I've just picked up a Heller Super Puma kit in Bristow markings (didn't even know they did one), so I'll have to follow you and do a 212 to go with it. Just a wee question though - is the registration G-BALZ in the correct font? The pics (of other 212s) I have show the older style squarer font - though that doesn't mean 'LZ hasn't been repainted and updated with the newer rounded style. Just wondered if you had a pic or had seen it in this style - I had a rant about type-fonts on my Herald Airliner GB. Its a bee I have in my bonnet, which explains the buzzing noise.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan,

you are are right to question the font.  Of the reference pics I've found the reg font should be thinner and less rounded although there is every chance it was changed at some point. Unfortunately I didn't have any alternative and wasn't keen on printing my own on this occasion.  A few other things I've noted during my build, the decca box on the underside should be slightly off centre, also in this scheme the door windows should be larger. Not sure exactly when the windows where enlarged but the 70s scheme and BEAS livery of G-BALZ I've seen pics of show the smaller windows.  I'm keen to build a few more of the 212 in Bristow and earlier BEAS schemes.

i have the same heller kit, getting harder to find.  I believe that boxing is the only super puma kit that has the correct sponsons for an L1 & L2 super puma, used for North Sea fit.  Annoyingly the other puma/ super puma heller kits have a nice selection of sponsons on the sprues but not the ones in that 'Bristow Tiger' kit!  

Would like to see that built.

cheers

Aaron

• Like 1

Good info there, Aaron. Thanks. I'd like to build a few of the Bristow 'hairdryers', going back to their strange pale scheme that pretty much ensured invisiblity if it went down in the sea!
Regarding the font - I altered a font I found on the internet for my Herald build - its only a raster file just now but I intend to re-draw it (and with as many variations as I encounter) as a scaleable vector file. I'll probably post it on BM for download. It bothers me that many of the decals available have the rounded font when the earlier squarer shape was on the original subject. There's that buzzing again!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, milktrip said:

Cheers Alan,  the font sounds good; let me know how you get on - apart from using the kit supplied decals, I usually use RAF letters and numbers decals for the reg numbers.

Send me some links to, or some pics of,  the real G-BALZ and I'll try to copy it exactly - I'll be doing it for myself anyway. Does the 'Bristow' logo seem a bit thicker than the original too? Might just be the pic.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan, I'll forward you some links later this evening.  Regards the logo, can't say for certain but possibly?  hmmm, might be a bit cheeky of me but I have a number of civvy choppers I would like to do but no decals exist.  I was going to try and play about on the laptop with logos etc but I'll PM you later to discuss.

cheers

Aaron  

42 minutes ago, milktrip said:

Thanks Alan, I'll forward you some links later this evening.  Regards the logo, can't say for certain but possibly?  hmmm, might be a bit cheeky of me but I have a number of civvy choppers I would like to do but no decals exist.  I was going to try and play about on the laptop with logos etc but I'll PM you later to discuss.

cheers

Aaron  

If you have a look at my Herald build on Airliner Group Build III, you'll see I've just started doing this - delighted with the results though. I've yet to try printing onto transparent film yet - and if I can source either white inkjet cartridges or better still, refills I've got three (3!) old printers I'll experiment with. I'm the same - many projects I've never done because of the difficulty of the transfers - I actually got quite handy at hand-painting reg letters way back, but I doubt I've got the hand/eyes for that now!

• 1 month later...

Wow STUNNING 212!

Two things for the next time you build one, the dot right behind the air intake on both sides is an oil filler cap for the engine reservoir, this is visible only on the military versions, on the civvy ones they are hidden behind the panel in a very hard to reach place...

Second, to add 1 more detail to your cabin, you could add a fabric loop attached to the ceiling on both sides, halfway between the swinging door segment and the seat post stanchion, this is a loop used to grab to climb in.

I am not currently at the hangar but I could find references if interested. I currently captain a 212 in northern Canada...

Cheers

H.

• Like 1