Beriev Be-10 'Mallow' - 1/72 scale Amodel kit

I can't keep up with all these new releases from the Ukraine......

Hot on the heels of the Modelsvit M-17 Mystic, comes the new 1/72 scale Amodel kit of the Soviet-era jet flying boat - the Beriev Be-10 'Mallow'.

Box art.....

be-10_001.jpg

Probably due to mould size limitations, the fuselage is in front and rear halves - which might make for an interesting joint !!

be-10_002.jpg

be-10_003.jpg

The third part of the fuselage is the tail gun position - plus the centre section and wing fences.

be-10_004.jpg

Upper and lower centre section parts....

be-10_005.jpg

Upper.....

be-10_006.jpg

.... and lower wing halves..

be-10_007.jpg

There is quite a lot of flash present - but the engraved panel detail is well executed

Ken

• Like 3

More......

Upper fin and float halves - plus the engine trunks and intakes.

be-10_008.jpg

Tailplanes and cockpits - note the stub wing spars.

be-10_009.jpg

Ejection seats and beaching gear....

be-10_010.jpg

One-piece canopy, nose and gunners glazing, etched fret and self-adhesive masks.

be-10_011.jpg

Decal sheet with two options.....

be-10_012.jpg

Well laid out instruction booklet - with one of the marking options....

be-10_013.jpg

The other marking option....

be-10_014.jpg

An excellent release from Amodel which adds to my growing Beriev flying boat collection (Trumpeter Be-6, Modelsvit Be-12 and Amodel Be-200)

Now, if only someone would do a 1/72 scale Be-42 (A-40 Albatros) 'Mermaid'

Ken

• Like 10

Should have mine soon, I've just ordered it this week... This and the Amodel An-22 I've just bought are my holy grails. Looking forward to seeing this one built up Ken.

What colour scheme are you doing Ken? Different to the Deka you've got I assume?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ken, now that your Stratosfera is done, I'm looking forward to seeing the Mallow being built. This will almost certainly be my next 'big' purchase, an aeroplane I've wanted to see kitted (in IM) since I was a wee lad. I almost bought the Deka vacuform model - I'm glad I didn't now.

Regards,

Jason

Funny you should post that Jason, but I have been fondling the Mallow since I finished the M-17.

Just to be different, I'm planing on making the missile-equipped Be-10N - witha a radar nose and K-12BS anti-ship missiles.

http://shipbucket.com/Misc%20Drawings/FD%20Scale%20Vehicles/Air%20Vehicles%20-%20Unbuilt/B/Beriev%20Be-10N%20and%20K-12BS%20-%20Russia.png

Apart from sourcing the missiles, it should be an easy conversion - just adding the nose radome - I have already identified the bows of a 1/350 scale Sturgeon submarine as being a good candidate.

I have two Sturgeon kits - I'm planning to use the back end of one grafted onto the front of the other to make the lengthened USS Parche - leaving me a bow section left over for the Be-10N.

I might also cheat and use couple of leftover Kh-22 missiles from the Backfire kits.

Watch this space....

Ken

• Like 4

A missile carrying Be-10 - now that's one I hadn't seen before. I'm right in the middle of finishing up my book on Soviet post-war bombers, trying to keep all those missile carrying variants and missiles straight (let's see, the Blinder carried the Kitchen, the Bear carried the Kangaroo or the Kitchen...). It makes my head spin at times (that and trying to keep all the Tu-16 variants straight). Whenever I get around to buying my Mallow, I'll probably just build it OOB, but I look forward to seeing your conversion magic on this one.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I have the Tu-128 in the stash which looks... well, not as good as this one!

The Amodel Tu-128 (and Tu-128U 'Pelican') are by far the worst of that brand I have ever made :banghead:

I've tackled loads of Amodel kits - and they are 'challenging' - but I almost gave up with the Fiddler/Pelican.

But, like you say, Amodel have improved a lot with their latest kits.

tu-128_02.jpg

tu-128u-pelican_02.jpg

Ken

• Like 11

Must. Buy. Now.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Radleigh, how goes it with my Antei? You can PM me (or is it on your site?) with all the gory details of trying to undo the damage I did in my feeble attempts to build the mighty beast.

Edited by Learstang

If they operated the Be-10 from watery swampland..................

Would it be a......... MARSHMALLOW ????

Sorry - I'll get my coat.......

Ken

But since marshes are filled with FOD, they wouldn't be operating very long, and then the Central Office in Moscow wouldn't want to give them s'more...

• Like 3

Right, let's get started...........

I've been experimenting with that nose radome - and the bow section from a 1/350th Mikro-Mir Sturgeon looks good.....

The fuselage nose where it meets the radome is not circular (it's taller that it is wide) - so the radome will need some blending in.

be-10_015.jpg

After cleaning up a lot of flash from the very brittle plastic, the port side fuselage front and rear sections are joined - there's only an ill-fitting ledge for the mating surfaces, so the join will need strengthening on the inside.....

be-10_016.jpg

I taped the fuselage to a photocopy of the Aviatsiya i Vremya drawings to ensure that the front and rear halves lined up properly - before flooding the joint with liquid poly.

As well as the brittle plastic - with lots of flash - the insides of the fuselage display the hallmarks of being made from a 3D printed master - lots of 'lines'.

The outer surface finish is very well done with delicate engraved detail.

Ken

• Like 6

Great stuff Ken, mine arrived last week and whilst it's way down the list right now I can't help but keep looking In the box and wanting to crack on with it. I also toyed with the idea of the Be-10N but think I'll settle for the red trimmed display aircraft. I'm sure NH Detail will come out with a dedicated PE set for it much like the MV Blinder at some point.

The fuselage join is problematic and as you say will need strengthening but at least it's in a sensible place reasonably well hidden from view. The quality of the mouldings is excellent...

Look forward to progress.....

• 4 weeks later...

A little progress.....

The fuselage joins are rubbed down - but it has resulted in a slight 'dip' where the two halves meet - down to overly zealous sanding on my part - plus a mis-match in the thickness of the plastic between each part.

I'm hoping it can be put down to stressed panels !!!

be-10_017.jpg

The intakes and jetpipes are fully detailed - with a compressor face and rear turbine trapped between the two jetpipe halves.

There is quite a lot of flash to be removed - note the almost flashed over orifice in the rear shroud on the right....

be-10_018.jpg

There are trillions of square, rectangular and triangular 'black boxes' that have to be fitted to the inner cockpit walls.

be-10_021.jpg

Each one has to be trimmed (on the sprue) to remove flash, then painted black, then identified from the parts diagram, then cut from the sprue and cemented in place......

be-10_019.jpg

After fitting them to one side, I offered up the assembled cockpit - only to find that the black boxes fouled the locating ledge and the cockpit would not fit in place!!     :deadhorse:

So, in a fit of frustration, I removed them and cemented the cockpit in place on its mounting ledge....

be-10_020.jpg

The black boxes can't be seen anyway - and life is too short to bother !! Plus - I won't be fitting the navigators station anyway - so the lack of black boxes won't matter on my build.

To get the instrument panel to fit I have had to remove the large cross bar and rudder pedals that had been fitted to the cockpit floor.....

be-10_022.jpg

Stay calm, Ken - it's meant to fun....... :wall:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some slow progress.......

The parts for the engines and their nacelles - all of which needed 'fettling' before fitting(?) ...... note the palstic card to help locate the exhaust shroud.

be-10_023.jpg

Do not fit the intake rings until the tubes are in place - fit them later !!!! (I didn't and had to remove them)....:wall:

I have added the radar nose (I'm making mine a Be-10N missile carrier) - using the bows from a 1/350 scale submarine.

It is the right depth but it is slightly wider than the adjacent fuselage, so needs the addition of a plastic card 'fairing'.....

I've also blanked of the navigators window with plastic card.

be-10_024.jpg

The new nose is faired into the fuselage with filler.....

be-10_025.jpg

I also added a spacer from plastic sprue - because the fuselage is pinched in at the join....

be-10_026.jpg

Ken

• Like 3

I'm quietly watching Ken, and really enjoying this.

:popcorn: 

I love all flying boats/seaplanes and perhaps somewhat masochistically, have a fondness for Amodel. Their Dornier Do-J Wal is next months hole in my pension.

This extremely futuristic aircraft is a possibility for 2017/18 for sure.

Thank you for sharing this build 

Best regards

TonyT

A little more progress.....

The engine assembly - lots of filler needed on all the joints! On the real thing, there are two triangular intakes between the jet intakes
and the fuselage - these are flashed over in the kit, so need opening out. I also 'boxed' them in with plastic card.

be-10_027.jpg

The engine assembly ready to be attached to the fuselage - unfortunately the curved cutout in the fuselage
doesn't exactly match the shape of the lower curve on the engine assembly ...........

be-10_028.jpg

Here is the engine assembly glued in place......

be-10_029.jpg

.... with more filler needed between the engines and fuselage - unfortunately in a really awkward place !!

be-10_031.jpg

Still, it is character building !! :bandhead2:

Here's a front view showing those triangular intakes.....

be-10_030.jpg

I'm off to buy some shares in model filler manufacturers...............

Ken

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

Nice progress, I'm at around the same point with mine (must photograph and post). The instructions state Gull Grey (Hu-129) for the cockpit interior, but I see you have used more of a medium sea grey. I'm usually wary of instructions; and wondered if you have a more accurate source, or consider your grey to be more likely?