1/48 Tamiya Douglas F4D-1 Skyray and 1/48 Trumpeter US Navy F9F-2 Panther

I rescued these two classic 50's naval jets from my shelf of doom. They have been sitting there for 2 years, these were my first practice builds since returning to the hobby and was about 90% finished. I had fitted both with aftermarket photo etch cockpit instruments and I fitted Montex canopy masks, however I got into building sci-fi models and other stuff over the next 2 years so last weekend I dusted them down and decided to finish them. The Panther had terrible decals, they had bubbled and cracked and a few on the Skyray as well. I had to flat them down and retouch them with an airbrush and by hand so they were never going to be show winning models. I decided to heavily weather them to hide the poor decals, there is more wrong with these planes then there is right but it seemed a shame not to finish them.

JTLJx7J.jpg
UEClcey.jpg
omQw2AH.jpg
BPoPAVw.jpg
XCKWX38.jpg
igiTbG7.jpg
c9H0hdu.jpg
wH80Lu6.jpg
0jZs5QZ.jpg
l8Unisz.jpg
nQnNWjL.jpg
Wu2T5yv.jpg
a0di6sx.jpg
mYNv5tt.jpg
efuI1zB.jpg
1hUoxjP.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 19

They've come out rather well helped by the fact that one of them is the most beautiful aircraft to enter service IMHO (the F4D). Much better than my efforts when I got back into the model-making scene.

Welcome to Britmodeller BTW

• Like 1

Two beautiful aircraft of that "second golden age" of the US Navy

with those so well designed birds.

Bravo, great job. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Your too kind LOL!,It was a case of what to do with them,but i knew i had got two tidy looking cockpits,so if i could make a half descent job of the outside i would be happy,it,s impressive that the montex masks peel off perfectly after 2yrs,without any residue left behind.

You just built a couple of my all-time faves there, Sir! Very adroitly, too. 'Course, life would have been perfect if it was a Cougar instead of a Panther...but there y'go, can't get the staff these days, etc. :winkgrin:

Superb work!

You just built a couple of my all-time faves there, Sir! Very adroitly, too. 'Course, life would have been perfect if it was a Cougar instead of a Panther...but there y'go, can't get the staff these days, etc. :winkgrin:

Superb work!

LOL!! That,s it then,my next navy jet will be a cougar,just to keep you happy!

• Like 2

That's the spirit Lee now a Cougar or a Twogar?? If you're seriously into USN Aviators then look out for Steve Ginter's books. Excellent research and storming good value. Look up member BMer Tailspin Turtle who runs at least three blogs and you'll be amazed at what he finds.

I should add that USN aviators are second only to the Gentlemen Fliers of the FAA. My mate is making me type this :fight:

• Like 1

I always liked the looks of the Skyray. Nice shots of the great cockpit details.

PS I hope someone will finally make a Cutlass in place of one more F14 or F18.