Melbourne Star

Although this fine cargo liner was owned by the Union Cold Storage Company, she was managed throughout her life by the Blue Star Line of London, and as such wore their livery.

The refrigerated cargo capacity was 412,090 cubic feet. The cooling method was brine and air, whilst the chambers were insulated with slab cork and eldorite. There were three compressors each of 480 b.h.p and the refrigerant was carbon dioxide. With a sea temperature of 85 degrees Fahrenheit, a temperature of 15 degrees Fahrenheit could be maintained in the refrigerated chambers.

The ship continued under the same name and colours until 1972 when she was sold to Greece. Initially she was used as a floating cold store at Piraeus and renamed Melbo. This employment did not last long and she was sold off for scrap within a few months. The ship arrived at the Tung Cheng Steel & Iron Works late in 1972. Demolition was completed by April 1973.

There is not really a great deal to say about the ship. She sailed for twenty-five years without any major incident, combining beauty with purpose. No doubt she was good for a few more years, but such ships were rapidly becoming obsolete even then.

The Blue Star liners were always handsome vessels and I well remember admiring the Melbourne Star in Glasgow in 1962.

Model: Scratchbuilt, 32 feet to 1 inch.

Melbourne_Star_Large.jpg

• Like 14

Lovely Bob, I remember Blue Star vessels calling in at our local port, maybe even this one. There was always something about that big four square funnel that set them off so well. They were handsome vessels for sure.

Steve.

Bob, Another beautiful model, I always look forward to your work appearing here. I love all ships apart from the modern floating boxes that seem to be the norm these days. Your models hark back to an age long gone when ships looked like ships and the "Red Duster" would be seen in every port.

Richard

Thanks,

The name and dates on Melbourne Star were rub on letters, but I don't use them any more, as they have got too expensive. I prefer the plaque types that, to me, look better.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...