Plastic Zeppelins

Panzer Vor!!!

Look - there's more!!

http://hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?rel=nav&GenreCode=Air&MacroType=MilPro&Scale=720

Thanks for posting the initial link. I think Zeppelins look great and a line-up of these would look superb.

Just need to look for some suitable reference books to get the juices flowing.

Anyone got any tips for some good reads?

Cheers.. Dave.

Just need to look for some suitable reference books to get the juices flowing.

Anyone got any tips for some good reads?

This appears to be recommended and a detailed account - also includes the later Gotha raids

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51sYzP5P%2BTL._SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

I came across it one day when walking to a meeting. London's full of this stuff. I was on a 23 bus going to another meeting yesterday and went past St Clement Danes in the Strand/Fleet St - the pock marks to the walls from bomb blasts remain untouched from 1940/1 - fascinating.

Also next to Cleopatra's Needle on the Embankment you can see pock marks in the granite where Zeppelin bombs landed and another plaque to commemorate it.

• Like 1

Also next to Cleopatra's Needle on the Embankment you can see pock marks in the granite where Zeppelin bombs landed and another plaque to commemorate it.

Yes. Forgot about that!

1/32 scale Wingnut Wings zeppelin now wouldn't that be something :winkgrin:

Just the Command Car alone would be impressive, perhaps with a "little" 1/350 scale full model to put the thing in context.

I always thought that a large scale Zeppelin would be best made from the traditional balsa formers and longerons with doped tissue. This would add the fragility and lightness of the real thing. The command car would be more suitable for plastic.

I have a stick and tissue Hindenberg model.

(partly built, the guy I was building it for decided he didn't want to pay for it...)

Couldn't tell you what scale it was but it's over a meter long.

Had to scratch built the control and motor pods, the vac formed parts were junk.

Aha! A picture of the kit!

HINDENBURG_KIT.JPG

I take it i'm the only Airship enthusiast on here :shrug:

Absolutely not! I have built a couple and have one more under construction.

By the way, over at HyperScale they are having a Group Build for scales smaller than 1/144 that is actively soliciting airship models!

Greg in OK

Some book suggestions: (no particular order, just how I stacked them on my desk to write this)

Zeppelins of World War I by Wilbur Cross

London 1914-17 The Zeppelin Menace by Ian Castle

Battle of Britain 1917 by Sutherland and Canwell (Really more about the Gotha bombers but the first chapter is on the failure of the Zeppelin raids)

Zeppelins: German Airships 1900-1940 by Charles Stephenson

German Airships by Heinz Nowarra

Switching sides here...

Battlebags: British Airships of the First World War by Ces Mowthorpe

Switching WARS here...

Blimp vs U-Boats by Gordon Vaeth

Forgotten Weapon-US Navy Airships and the U-Boat War by William Althoff

I am sure there are more (honestly I think I have more myself but they seem to be hiding somewhere out of place on my shelves.)

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 2

When residing at my sisters flat in Kaiser Strasse ,Munchen in the 90's.

I built one of these,https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aue-Verlag-Graf-Zeppelin-Aircraft-Model/dp/3870295570/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1470336978&sr=8-8&keywords=zeppelin+model

which I had purchased from the shop in the Technical Museum.

Nice hanging from your bedroom ceiling !

• 3 weeks later...

If you'd like to see someone actually building a 1/72 scale zeppelin go this IPMS Canada page: http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/ipmsRT.html

Click on the beaveRTales link (that's IPMS Canada's emailed PDF newsletter that supplements their magazine, RT). Bring up the August 2013 issue and scroll down to page 13... actually, read the entire thing - it's great! I don't know if the zeppelin model was ever finished, but it sure was an ambitious attempt!

Bob

Where,s Kaiser Souza when you need him ???????

Is he the German leader who composed music to march to or do you mean Keyser Soze?

Edited by Kallisti

Hello,
here you can evaluate the shots (please, take in mind it is a 1/720th scale model :winkgrin: ):
MKM720-03%20Zeppelin%20LZ45--LZ58%20Nava

... and the reverse side:
MKM720-03%20Zeppelin%20LZ45--LZ58%20Nava

The Naval LZ58 just finished - overall views:
MKM720-03%20Zeppelin%20LZ58_build01_zpsx

MKM720-03%20Zeppelin%20LZ58_build02_zpse

.... a look at the bottom, with two gondolas, engine support structure and bomb bays (represented by decals):
MKM720-03%20Zeppelin%20LZ58_build03_zpsv

... a closer look at the front:
MKM720-03%20Zeppelin%20LZ58_build04_zpsi

... and at the tail, showing the stabilising and control surfaces:
MKM720-03%20Zeppelin%20LZ58_build05_zpsq

We tried to make the kit as simple as possible, but well represented in detail at the same time. The stand is also included in the kit, as is the decal for appropriate airship's name.
So enjoy building your kit....

More info about the forthcoming kits and camouflage options will be found on our web site at:

http://www.4pluspublication.com

KR
Michal Ovcacik, MARK I

• Like 5