Heller 707 Returns!

DrewP

If you have seen the AWACS, you have seen this. The windows are not punched through, and can just about be made out on the plastic. Apart from specific AWACS sprue with rotodome atc, it's the same kit. Decals AF as per the box, BOAC with the deep cheat line and BOAC in gold under the cockpit. You do get window sprues with the kit and apertures in the decals, so there is some work to do, or replace the decals . Mine was due late next week, so yours may be early too.

So I am a little confused, is it the E-3 fuselage in the kit or a modified 707 (with windows) fuselage?

Probably perfect for a cargo variant! Not a lot of cargo 1/72 decal sheets are available, other than 26's and one from Draw. No windows means I can finally do my second favorite 707, behind SAA. Looks like I can start practicing dioramas :yahoo: Thanks for the info on the contents.

Drew

I have received an Email from a dealer in France that I have ordered one from and in it he says that Heller have put AWACS fuselage halves instead of the passenger halves in the box. He is getting it rectified and should be able to ship next week.

Heller still owned by Hornby or did that change?

I don't think they ever were. IIRC they had an MBO out of Humbrol when still owned by the latter. Heller's insolvency (in 2006 ? Is it really THAT long ago ???) was a core reason for Humbrol to collapse as Heller moulded most if not all Airfix kits. Hornby bought the remainder of Humbrol but that didn't include Heller AFAIK.

Quite a surprise - I expected it much later this year.

IIRC the windows were not very accurate in this kit. David Perkins has an etch set for the 707 which includes new windows:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17937&cat=248&page=1

So anyone with the E3 fuselage might want to use this - if they cannot get hold of the correct fuselage.

HaHen in Germany has resin engines for this kit:

http://www.hahen.de/epages/64625185.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64625185/Products/72002

http://www.hahen.de/epages/64625185.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64625185/Products/72006

and decals for Lufthansa:

http://www.hahen.de/epages/64625185.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64625185/Products/72010

I suppose other aftermarket suppliers will jump on the train too.

Can anybody post a picture of the Heller decals?

René

I'd rather have the correct parts than fiddle with etch at that size to be honest. I paid for the correct kit and that's what they should provide.

Quite right.

I just listed it for those who might want to dress their kit up and tjose who maybe got the wrong parts and do not for whatever reason get them replaced with the correct ones.

• Like 1

Having seen a RAAF 707 tanker transport in Kenya in 1989 I`ve always fancied modelling one of these,......but the BOAC scheme is very nice too,....mmm,...quite tempted to get one of these,

Cheers for the heads up,

Tony

Having seen a RAAF 707 tanker transport in Kenya in 1989 I`ve always fancied modelling one of these,......but the BOAC scheme is very nice too,....mmm,...quite tempted to get one of these,

Cheers for the heads up,

Tony

I saw one in the same time frame, it was here in Canada. Nor do I forget the sweet flight attendant I got to know.

They were on a world tour, so perhaps the same aircraft.

I saw one in the same time frame, it was here in Canada. Nor do I forget the sweet flight attendant I got to know.

They were on a world tour, so perhaps the same aircraft.

I snapped a couple of photos of that one when it stopped in Moose Jaw, but I thought it was '88.

Tony

C'mon - someone post pictures please :frantic:

;-)

René

I'd be more than happy! I just got mine today and it is nothing more than previous offers. Mine, of course, has the "incorrect" (no windows) fuselage. I'll be uploading an album with pictures of the instructions shortly and will link them here once I do that. I took quite a few pictures...

IMG_7107_zpssdrylwoc.jpg?t=1471915137

IMG_7109_zpszdo7bf45.jpg

This is how it should look when you first open the box.

IMG_7108_zpscnsyqq2g.jpg

IMG_7110_zpsjjlbjjxo.jpg

IMG_7115_zps5nbxlx0a.jpg

Comparison of the kit fuselage halves to the Airfix E-3D Sentry (exact same moulds)

IMG_7116_zpslimgpiyd.jpg

IMG_7117_zpsszqe9wrb.jpg

IMG_7118_zps1ajlevp4.jpg

The scribing is even throughout (not one piece is deeper or shallower than the other), and they seem to be to scale.

IMG_7120_zpsoajqxm1a.jpg

IMG_7121_zpsosagiuqy.jpg

The kit comes with a full cockpit interior, though basic. The landing gear bays are correct in dimensions but lack detail.

IMG_7122_zpsmnvaejau.jpg

I really, really like the windscreen, other than the fact that it cuts off right at the bottom of the windows (should be a minor inconvenience).

IMG_7123_zpsyusyobib.jpg

Cockpit includes bulkhead, four chairs, and basic yoke. The landing gear could use some scratch detailing, or you might get metal sets, on eBay for about $17.

IMG_7125_zpshdjbsmpm.jpg

Still includes transparencies for all windows. I will only be using them for the exits.

IMG_7126_zpssradcrdm.jpg?t=1471916112

The decals are massive (quarter for scale). Mine were a bit crinkled and creased, but no worries, I don't plan on doing Air France or BOAC.

2e4c3a79-4fe3-409d-8632-1381bbb60f6e_zps

All in all, it's a great re-release of an amazing kit that you don't have to troll eBay for and pay outrageous prices. It's up with the Doyusha/Nitto/Entex 707 in accuracy, though the 1/100 kit is much more "interactive". I would recommend this kit to any 707 lover, or any civil aviation modeller in general. Even if you don't find yourself building civies this could easily remade into a freighter or military variant. I'm so happy Heller made it to the release day, considering what they've been through the past decade or so. Let's hope they start releasing more and more!

Drew

Edited by DrewP
  • Like 3