Another double build: Sopwith Tabloid (Classic Plane) and Baby (Eduard) 1:72

Ian,

EXQUISITE  detailing and scratch   building.  Your work has been eye candy and watching your build is just AMAZING. :wub:

EXEMPLARY work.. the wood effect , rigging  et al is very IMPRESSIVE. :clap2:

:wow:

I like your Sopwith and it is looking quite Real now. 

you should be proud of this TREMENDOUSLY SUPERB little gem you have created.  thank you.

HOUSTON :worthy::worthy:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Ah. This is one of those threads you just have to smile at each time, in sheer appreciation.

that's just the very words I was looking for !     Great build and thoroughly entertaining 

• Like 2

Gents, you're making me blush...thanks a million for the kind words!

I know she's not perfect, the rear float should be a little further forward to give a straight line from float to rudder top, but there's always going to be something that can be improved, and that's what makes the next build a little more challenging each time. 

It's also nice to know it makes others smile and it's not just me...she looks great sat next to the Short 184 in the cabinet!

Back to the Tabloid undercarriage today.....

Ian

• Like 1

I have got back to work on the Tabloid, and started on the undercarriage.
 I've used .020 x.040 rod for all of the parts. The first task was to make the skids, so I sanded down the end of a piece of balsa to the curve I needed, then sandwiched the 2 strips between some thicker sheet to stop it twisting and taped it to the balsa. 

31397659010_e0669e40a6_k.jpg

31653854121_895d411f17_k.jpg

A quick dunk (about 10 seconds) in some hot water, followed by running it under a cold tap and I have 2 curved pieces...

31397656490_fdfd3addfd_k.jpg

They were then cut to length and sanded down, and I now have 2 skids for the undercarriage...

31653853181_eab172f2a9_k.jpg

The other parts are all straight so they were simply cut to length and I've started on painting them all prior to fitting.

I'm off home to the UK tonight for a week so this will be my last update until I get back.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A good amount of progress on the undercarriage today. I got all the framework fitted and most of the rigging has been done. Just the fore-and-aft rigging to do and that will be with stainless wire as I can't drill and thread here....

31875588711_ea77d42998_k.jpg

and all trimmed up....

31618540800_b109fa4414_k.jpg

Now to add the axle - I think I should have used my normal method of adding two thin strips either side of the axle but it's too late now so I'll have to think of something else.....I'm not sure quite what I was thinking when I added just a single strip for the spreader bar, but  it's done now....

Ian

• Like 7

Well, folks, I managed to get this one done today as the last completion of 2016! A little bit of touching up here and there but that's it.

32011015925_fcff9edd95_k.jpg

More pics in completed models tomorrow when I have some decent light.

Thanks for looking in, and Happy New Year everyone!

Ian

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, hendie said:

nice way to finish the New Year - Happy Hogmanay !

Cheers Hendie, unfortunately there's no lump of coal emoticon...I'll bring a virtual one....

Ian

• Like 1