TNT BAe 146-200QT

Hello all,

Didn't think I could join in just yet, however I see the rules allow a 25% start for any currently in the works. Luckily, my BAe 146 hasn't been worked on for some time and only has the fuselage together with cockpit window in and side windows filled in.

So my Airliner GB is a BAe 146-200QT in TNT livery. Two options are Pan Air (ops TNT) EC-FZE or OO-TNT, the latter I cannot find any reference for and wonder if it ever existed? :hmmm:

Kit uses is the Revell kit I bought last year for a reasonable price (Can't remember but somewhere around the £10 region)

28625071096_45955b40ae_b.jpg

Don't usually use stock decals, but I will this time

28625070346_1acf89a168_b.jpg

Kit itself looks easy in some respects, just hoping it won't be too fiddly. Doesn't require a lot of paint, but I'm not looking forward to painting the bit where the orange curves down and the black stripe, not done a paint curve before!

This is what I have so far:

28550668532_7b6d81f5ff_b.jpg

Next job, sand the putty off (done now) and spray it white

• Like 5

Good to see some 146 love. I have one on the workbench that's migrated from the shelf of doom - it's a nice kit, but beware the fit of the wing to the fuselage, it can be fussy. Mine was done many moons ago and as I recall I used a bucket of filler instead of taking the time to align it properly (we were young once, and foolish). As a result, mine's a bit bodgy. Still, I've got 3 more in the stash (and chasing more at a reasonable price), so I can always redeem myself eh? For this one, I chose the Australian Air Express option, as they were regular visitors to the local.

If I may suggest, mask and paint the control surfaces instead of fighting the kit decals. The decals are very good (designed by DACO and printed by someone in Italy who isn't Revell, yay), but the big silver ones are a beast to get to lay down - all the rest of my builds will be painted and masked, less hassle and a big saving in decal solution in the long run I think.

• Like 2

Thank you!

Rob - Managed to get it on, doesn't seem too bad on the fuselage however there is a gap either side between the fuselage and the back wing (flap ends) that is annoying.

28701184375_d521924c46_b.jpg

28416536620_1c0df38444_b.jpg

***UPDATE - CHANGE OF PLAN***

I've been informed, and I must say since I've only just noticed it on the decal sheet, it's a -100 model therefore the TNT decals would actually be incorrect.

I may need to come up with another plan, either give in and use the AAE ones, or come up with something else, might find decals at the Avon show this weekend though!

• Like 1

It's quite possible that you did a better job of initial assembly than I did. Looking at your photos, I think (from faded memory, so don't believe a word of it) that the big issue for me was that rear seam that cuts across the fuselage - as I recall I couldn't get it to lay down where it needed to be. Hence the filler. Maybe. :shrug:

As a matter of (possible) interest, OO-TNT actually used to belong to a Piper Seneca, and hasn't been reissued as far as I can tell. EC-FZE seems to be kosher.

I've been informed, and I must say since I've only just noticed it on the decal sheet, it's a -100 model therefore the TNT decals would actually be incorrect.

I find really disappointing that Revell chose to issue the -100 kit with markings inappropriate to the type when they have a perfectly good -200 kit on which the TNT decals would have been ideal. Bizarre boardroom decision perhaps; but it begs the question as to whether I can trust Revell, given this and the more recent Etihad A320 quandary.

Great work thus far on the kit, James. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with it :)

techniquest, on 01 Aug 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

I find really disappointing that Revell chose to issue the -100 kit with markings inappropriate to the type when they have a perfectly good -200 kit on which the TNT decals would have been ideal. Bizarre boardroom decision perhaps; but it begs the question as to whether I can trust Revell, given this and the more recent Etihad A320 quandary.

Great work thus far on the kit, James. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with it :)

Revell (Both -USA and -Germany) have long been known to be somewhat cavalier about the exact configuration of many of their civil models. They seem to decide upon a subject, pick an existing mould and then say words to the effect of "Oh, heck. Nobody's going to notice that it's completely wrong." This is how they've managed to claim that their 707-100 is a -300 (or an AWACS or KC-135), their DC-8-61 as a -63 multiple times and many more. They've also been known to resurrect 50 year old moulds when much more modern moulds exist and try to pass them off as a 'new' kit. Nobody knows what the Revell executives have been smoking all these years but it must be good stuff.

Experienced modellers have learned to treat Revell kits with a grain of salt.

That seems to be going together very nicely Soloturk :goodjob:

It's not just Revell that give grief on their markings. I just bought a secondhand Hasewaga 1/200 SAS DC-9 and it seems as though the registration letters actually belong to a Caravelle......

Cheers

Cliff

Soloturk,

I suspect that this kit was based on the Revell B.Ae 146-100 STA, if you check the parts you will probably find that they include a refuelling probe. This being the case then that would have been MSN E1002 carrying registration G-BSTA, this was converted later to a -100QT. Whilst this casts doubt on the accuracy of the TNT options, the Australian air Express version is correct as can be seen in the link below. HTH

AAE B.Ae146-100

Lovely work so far, keep it up. :goodjob:

**UPDATE**

No decals found at the show, got some other decals, put them in my decals book, what do I find in there? Air Baltic 146-100 decals! Can't even remember buying it or what show it was from :mental::lol:

• Like 1

**UPDATE**

No decals found at the show, got some other decals, put them in my decals book, what do I find in there? Air Baltic 146-100 decals! Can't even remember buying it or what show it was from :mental::lol:

I've been considering a set of Air Baltic decals - if I may, could I ask who printed your set and for a review at the appropriate time please? Thanks.