Asama Maru, 32 feet to 1 inch. Plus career details

1929_Asama_Maru_Large.jpg

When this ship was completed in 1929 she was a tremendous milestone in Japanese shipbuilding history. As well as being a fine looking ship, she was modern in the extreme and if she had been built twenty years later, could still have performed as well as the best. The keel was laid down on September 10th 1927, she was launched October 30th 1928 and completed by Mitsubishi Zosen Kaisha for Nippon Yusen Kaisha (N.Y.K)September 15th 1929. Of 16,947 gross tons, she had a length of 584 feet and a breadth of 72 feet. A motor ship powered by four 8-cylinder Sulzer diesel., giving a service speed on 19 knots.

Trials were a great success and the ship achieved a speed of 21.71 knots. Vibration, which was often a problem in motor ships of that era was minimal. In fact it was considered to be no different than that experienced on a steam driven ship of the same tonnage. Stability and seaworthiness were also found to be excellent. Passenger capacity was 822 in three classes The officers and crew totalled 330. The total cargo capacity was 8,170 tons.

The first class dining room was decorated Georgian style, whilst the writing room was in the English style of the William and Mary period. The first class smokeroom was furnished in English oak, Tudor style and the chairs were covered in either leather or tapestry. The first class lounge was also Georgian with furniture of English mahogany. The second class smokeroom was furnished Empire style. A beautiful Japanese room with ceremonial Tokonoma and Fukurodana was also fitted, this was reputed to be the first on any passenger liner. An indoor swimming pool was also provided. The outside decks were all sheathed in wood.

The Asama Maru, initially went on the fortnightly Hongkong - San Francisco route. The full run was Hongkong - Shanghai - Nagasaki - Kobe - Yokohama - Honolulu and San Francisco.

In late August 1937 she met with a serious accident She had been undergoing repairs at the Taikoo Dockyard at the time and had to put to sea at short notice to avoid a hurricane. Her starboard anchor cable parted and the port anchor failed to hold and she was driven ashore between 80 and 100 feet from the shore line. Her draught on grounding was 23.5 feet, whilst the normal depth of water at high tide was only 15.8 feet. The bottom was damaged, but not seriously. Refloating the ship initially appeared to be an unsurmountable problem and the most sensible solution appeared to be to break her up where she lay. The Asama Maru, however, was a symbol of the Japanese Mercantile marine and of the utmost importance from both trade and prestige viewpoints. The Nippon Salvage Company was brought in to tackle the enormous task. 2,240 tons of oil and fresh water were removed from the ship. All lifeboats and davits were removed and all stores and removable fittings were taken ashore. Still the Asama Maru sat firmly on her bed of stones and clay. As a desperate measure, two of her main engines were removed and it was still not enough! Ten large cylindrical buoyancy tanks each ten feet in diameter and thirtyone feet long were constructed and five were fitted to each side of the ship. Seven thousand tons of rock, stones and clay was then blasted from beneath the hull forming a four foot deep excavation along the ship’s length. In March 1938 the great liner finally lifted to the tide and with an intentional list of six degrees to port was gradually eased back into her natural element. In September of the same year, the refitted Asama Maru resumed normal service.

On the outbreak of World War II she was initially used for the transport of U.S., British and Japanese diplomats. With the entry of Japan into the war, she was taken over as a Japanese transport ship. On the 1st May 1944 the Asama Maru encountered the U.S.S. Atule in position 20 09 North 117 38 East. Following the inevitable torpedo attack, this fine liner remained afloat long enough for every person aboard to escape.

-----

Model - Scratchbuilt by myself, 32 feet to 1 inch.

Bob

• Like 8

Hikawa Maru

hsgs4002main-lg.jpg

Whilst in Japan I was able to visit Hikawa Maru which is now a Museum Ship in Yokohama. She was also an NYK Line ship and looks very similar to this ship but with a single funnel. She was used as a hospital ship in WW II which is why she survived (her two sisters were both sunk) and in 60's and 70's she was used as a school ship.

For those of us lacking Bob's skill's she is available as a kit in both 1/700 and 1/350 by Hasagawa. I have the 1/350 in my sister's loft awaiting my retirement.

Terry

• Like 2

I also saw the Hikawa Maru in Yokohama some years ago, but unfortunately, did not have time to visit, as I was flying home from the bulk carrier Silverdon the next day. Very few of you will lack the skills to build models like mine, but the most common statement that I hear, year in year out, is "I could never do that!" If you talk yourself out of it before trying, there really is no hope. I don't have the skill or patience to assemble kits, but at the same time, I don't want to, so it doesn't matter in my case. I have virtually given up model shipbuilding these days, not because I have lost the ability, but mainly because there is no-one to compare notes and methods with. I did start writing a book on the subject a couple of months ago, but have now abandoned the project.

Here are some of the ships that I have produced over the past 20 years, but I am now getting "worn down" by people wanting me to build them models. It doesn't matter how many times I say that I am not a business, and never take on private commissions, I still get a continual stream of requests, or suggestions: "If you ever think of building........!" All this lot are sold and gone, so I am not "Pimping my wares!"

Bulk_models_2_Medium.jpg

• Like 1

"And the [ships] just keep on comin'... " To paraphrase an old song.

Another beauty, Bob.

Saddened to hear that you've abandoned the book project, I (and I'm sure many others here) would have loved to have read that. An old friend of mine is (or was - we lost touch some time ago) an author of maritime history reference books and I'm sure he'd share my delight in seeing your works.

Looking forward to the next post :bye:

Kev