Dornier DO-335 A-0 "Pfeil" (1/48 Monogram)

I'm calling this one done, Monogram's 1974 issue of the DO-335 Pfeil. There are nicer kits out there, but this one was in the stash, and I do like a challenge!

Kit was rescribed completely, molded in engine details cut out and the forward and rear cowls closed, exhaust boxed in (and reduced in size), rear engine radiator flaps opened and boxed in, clear nav lights made from drilled acrylic rod, elevators cut free and dropped, molded in cowl guns removed and replaced with brass tube guns.

The wheel wells, gear, and cockpit were detailed with copper and brass wire, aluminum tubing, sheet plastic and some photo etch belts , and Ultracast exhaust stacks (designed for the Tamiya kit) were used.

Paint is Tamiya acrylic, and weathering is oils and pastels, with Cutting edge decals.

Hope you like,

Colin

finshed2_zpssnxdymme.jpg

finshed4_zpsmbzlz9pp.jpg

finshed6_zpsppuiidts.jpg

finshed8_zpsopofqkdq.jpg

finshed12_zpsu6jqbijv.jpg

finshed1_zpslblofjdy.jpg

finshed13_zpsykpgng1e.jpg

P7091338_zpsp1zc3dqz.jpg

P7091336_zpsy0l9g8fa.jpg

rear_zps3cy4jinr.jpg

Image1_zps16kbesza.jpg

Image2_zpsopdeatyd.jpg

Image3_zps9j7xdbnc.jpg

Image4_zpsrc0bfzy3.jpg

and an interesting size comparison, it shows what a huge airplane the Pfeil really was! -

finshed14_zps9klrthfb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 31

A lovely build of the awesome 335 and it's good to see you have modelled an actual prototype rather than the usual "What ifs" or "Luftwaffe 46" examples more usually seen. I am however a bit puzzled as to the holes in the tyres to achieve the weighted look. Not really a criticism but a bit of filler would have been nice. A great build, let's see some more please.

Trev.

A lovely build of the awesome 335 and it's good to see you have modelled an actual prototype rather than the usual "What ifs" or "Luftwaffe 46" examples more usually seen. I am however a bit puzzled as to the holes in the tyres to achieve the weighted look. Not really a criticism but a bit of filler would have been nice. A great build, let's see some more please.

Trev.T

Thanks, no reason not to fill the tire holes, I just didn't get around to it until after I started painting, and then it was to late. I have a couple more photo's that I didn't put up before, the real A-0 and the restored ones ...

real_zps5zttr13c.jpg

finshed2_zpssnxdymme.jpg

real2_zpstnjd9mo7.jpg

real3_zpsdyomqm3t.jpg

finshed16_zpsstnsuegh.jpg

finshed17_zpsbbsfqzoq.jpg

Thanks, everyone for the comments, I enjoy the old Monogram kits - they let you do some real modelling!

Colin

Maybe the tyre issue was more realistic than I gave you credit for, such a heavy bird with a high landing speed they may have looked like this more often than not.

Trev.