Gloss + gloss varnish vs matt + gloss varnish

Raven Morpheus

Hey all

I'm getting a little frustrated with my local posties, as they can't seem to deliver 1 small pot of Tamiya Gloss White (presumably the package is bigger than my letterbox but I don't seem to be around when the postie is), which I need primarily at the moment for my Porsche 917/10 build - the lack of it has halted the build as it's pretty much the only colour I have to put down before I start decaling...

So, could I just get away with using matt white plus a gloss varnish layer (probably Klear) or will it look different to the gloss white plus gloss varnish?

TIA

Edited by Raven Morpheus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I cannot provide any solid advice, however I would say that it will look quite noticeable after the first gloss coat, however the difference will reduce with each coat thereafter. It may pose annoying masking issues however why not apply the matt White then just apply the gloss cost to the white areas until you think it's a similar sheen to the surrounding areas.

Anyway - just a thought.

Cheers.. Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 0:59 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I cannot provide any solid advice, however I would say that it will look quite noticeable after the first gloss coat, however the difference will reduce with each coat thereafter. It may pose annoying masking issues however why not apply the matt White then just apply the gloss cost to the white areas until you think it's a similar sheen to the surrounding areas.

Anyway - just a thought.

Cheers.. Dave

Hello Dave,

Thanks for being helpful but when you say "it will look quite noticable", what are you referring to exactly?

Regards,

Alberto

Alberto... I am thinking that the first coat (only) will not look as good as you would like, however each further coat of gloss varnish should improve things.

Well that's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Cheers ... Dave.

• Like 1

The two colours are the same, only the level of gloss (or lack, thereof), is different.  Like Dave said, after the initial coat of gloss the matte white will be a 'semi-gloss'.  Just apply light coats of gloss varnish and build it up until you achieve the level of gloss you require.

Edited by Jerry V
  • Like 1

So far in my short ecperience sll brudh psinting, it is better to avoid having to hloss or matte coat a model unless it is to blenf in the far cals. Tamiya matte varnish over tamiys acrylic was a disaster while mr hobby laquer matte voat over tamiya enamel was good at least for the decals but didnt turn tje model dead matte as it would be from a good matte paint.

As way of comment, I have also noted that the enamel matte from tamiya leaves what.I think os cleed sheen, a soft soft shine as if it were oily while the acrylic matte from the same brand leaves a coarse finish.