What is the best Varnish out there?

Fraz97

Hello

I'm thinking of changing varnishes.

I have the Humbrol Clear (water-based) and the Humbrol Cote Varnish (enamel based varnish- the ones with the 28ml bottle). While Humbrol Gloss Clear works fine, their matt varnish leaves 'misty' finishes, which really annoys me as I spend a lot of time making models only for it to mist up. :(

The Humbrol Cote varnishes (the enamel based ones) I find a lot better (The Matt cote won't mist up the model) so I'm currently using this varnish but it takes far too long to dry (24 hours).

I've heard that Tamiya, Gunze and Alclad make good varnishes so I'm considering switching to one of these varnishes. (Although getting Gunze's varnishes is like trying to find a needle in a haystack!)

Which ones are the best and what should I get?

Thanks

Fraser

Edited by Fraz97

After trying various brands I've finally found a system that works for me:

I use Humbrol Clear - usually applied by brush - and Winsor & Newton Galleria Matt Varnish.

The W&N is lovely stuff. It sprays neat through the airbrush, drys hard and so far I've had no problems with frosting. A light coat gives a nice satin sheen and a heavier one produces a beautiful matt finish.

That's my recommendation.

Ian

Always Humbrol Clearcote enamel - it's the only one which will take over just about any other paint. Water-based acrylic will 'craze' if you paint it over alcohol-based acrylic, and that rules out many of the acrylic varnishes above. If you spray it in a couple of very fine coats, it won't mist.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, Galleria is my current choice. I have trouble getting it very matt, but then, at my usual scale of 1:72 one doesn't want it totally matt. I might try a more generous coat next time, just to see what happens.

Humbrol oil-based is bad bad bad because it ages yellow surprisingly quickly. Never tried the acrylic and, with Galleria to play with, I am not about to.

• Like 1

/\ /\ Thin it with some Tamiya x-20a, up the pressure and spray light coats from about 20cm away, leaves a lovely matt finish I find.

Try it on a paint mule first though so you don't come knocking if it doesn't work for you :fight::winkgrin:

I've used W&N matt, though from a rattle can. The matt is really good, but at some place it tended to pimple a bit, leaving shiny pathces come through.

The coat was thick enough, almost to thick. I wondered if its part of spraying from a rattle can?

Edit:

Or me using it wrongly ofcourse

Edited by SamH93

The two best I've used so far are W&N matt and even better, Gunze Aqueous Matt Clear in the little jar. To make the Gunze matt really, really flat I sometimes add a little Tamiya clear matt in the mixture and it works very well indeed with no white or any base colour change at all.

Comparing the two I find the Gunze+little bit of Tamiya matt, depending on the mixture, can be absolutely flat, maybe unrealistically so for models. W&N maybe doesn't go quite as matt but leaves a very nice finish too.

One issue with W&N that I've noticed that sometimes instead of hiding the thickness of decals with the matt layer (like the Gunze/Tamiya matt) is sometimes can actually highlight it, not sure what is going on there or what I have done wrong but it was noticeable.

Thinning both with Mr.Color thinner the best part is they actually dry properly and become very hard, touch dry almost immediately but leave overnight if you are going to handle the model a lot next.

You can get Gunze paints from 'eModels' online shop.

David.

The finish becomes flatter as you add more layers with the Galeria.

I just use W&N flow improver sprayed through the Iwata.

It certainly does seem to highlight any decal silvering though.

Rick.

I use a brush so I dont know if this helps you or not but I find Humbrol enamel varnish is the best I have used, even though I use acrylic paint.I have never had a problem with it, unlike their paint. :shrug: