ARDU CAC Sabre A94-946 colours

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there who can confirm with certainty whether this aircraft flew with dayglo red or dayglo orange panels? The decal references say to use Humbrol 205 but I'm not convinced... yet. Any thoughts, help, guidance really welcomed!!! Thanks.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

I've only seen B/W pictures of this aircraft and the nose, tail and wing areas look relatively dark, personally I'd go for red. Not even sure if it was dayglo red or just insignia red.

Wilson's book on the Meteor, Sabre and Mirage in Australian service has a profile where red is mentioned but with no indication of the type of red.

This machine was used by ARDU for sidewinder trials having served at Butterworth and Ubon. The high vis areas were applied for the trials.

I remember seeing this aircraft, badly corroded, at Moorabbin when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure that the coloured panels were red. As I recall, the were more like post office, or signal red than dayglo.

Mind you, after forty-odd years, there's plenty of room for faulty memory.

• Like 1

Intriguing mate. The record on ADF Shows:

There is a discrepancy on the aircraft status card, it states it was received 1 AD 04/09/56 with installed Avon CAC101.

Then states allocated to ARDU on 27/08/56

It served as Sidewinder missile trials aircraft wearing DayGlo nose, tail and wing panels.

To 3 AD 22/06/62 for dismantling for air uplift to 78 Wing Malaya.

To 79 Sqn 25/10/67.

To 77 SQN 30/07/68.

To 2 OCU 14/08/69.

To GAF Avalon 05/03/70.

To 5 OTU 27/05/70.

On 23/11/71 approval given for free transfer to Malaysia.

To 11 SQN RMAF 08/12/71 as FM1946, phased out 1976.

Highlight for Album: Sabre A94-946

A rear fuselage marked A94-946 was noted in scrap yard in Keon Park, Vic 09/89

This ended up at Moorabbin Air Museum. It was badly corroded however the tailplane and fin were used in the restoration of A94-989

I think now that the decal set instructions are correct and that Humbrol 205 is the closest. I'll apply that over a white, then yellow, base coat. I really appreciate your post, mate. Is that photo from a book? If so, which one?

Martin