1/271 Revell Robert E Lee Mississippi Paddle Steamer

This is my first attempt at a maritime subject and a first go at modelling water effects. I picked the kit up off eBay at a good price and I decided to challenge myself by lighting it and throwing it into a water diorama, I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this build and I intend to produce some more maritime/water effect dioramas in the future. I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

DemIC1O.jpg
qbtxNoo.jpg
GsbiZ9g.jpg
rGoeEWM.jpg
6zgFfaR.jpg
5MQBA64.jpg
ZHWzbQp.jpg
CT9Swph.jpg
l3EiibR.jpg
tjpQ65z.jpg
hjYOYoY.jpg
Hz5eoOi.jpg
IoNAjfU.jpg
ptQaSSi.jpg
en5o259.jpg
rQs07wq.jpg
6Sa2qOd.jpg
Xf9gmw8.jpg
GuZ2H3w.jpg
bD3QB7d.jpg
gQahJwD.jpg
s76SyOC.jpg
r2FBozY.jpg
c3j0Tm0.jpg
VoGKGJ0.jpg
Xg88xrG.jpg
CCx6aRp.jpg
atXCoVW.jpg
jsWAq3g.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 33

Great job, love the reflections in the water !

If I might suggest adding some shades of dark grey through to off white to the funnel smoke

Look forward to seeing further buildsThanks Kev,re the smoke,the camera does,nt really pick up the shading too well,but there is some variation in the colour of the smoke in person.

Kev

There's an old tradition of taking steamboat rides in elementary school here in the southern states. I did it years ago, and my son did it last year. You've really captured that ornate, low in the water look that the real thing has.

There's an old tradition of taking steamboat rides in elementary school here in the southern states. I did it years ago, and my son did it last year. You've really captured that ornate, low in the water look that the real thing has.

Hi,Thud4444,i saw this kit one Ebay,and won the bid at a great price,it,s very rare to see one come up forsale in the UK,i had a picture in my mind how i wanted the model to look,i am pleased to say that it turned out exactly as i pictured it in my head,it,s delighted me that you have commented so favourably about it,many thanks indeed!

Pure magic. Its not one I'd probably ever do but I've loved looking in on it. Your lighting effects are great, I can hear the honky tonk piano playing. :)

Steve.

LOL Steve,thanks for the comments,to be honest i never expected to model anything like this either,but i had this image in my head on how it should look,and as a returning model builder from a 30yr lay off i am trying as many different topics as possible,just to find out what i am good at and what i am weaker at,you don,t know till you try,and i must admit i had a bit of a leap into the unknown with this project,it was my first boat build,and my first water effect diorama,but in the end i had a real blast building it.

• Like 1

Thanks,!,i did consider some figures,but they are hard to find in this scale,and besides,they are all inside having dinner! LOL.

Or even playing cards :winkgrin::coolio:

Beefy

What a stunner. Everything about it is so atmospheric. So much work has gone into it and I guess the kit itself perhaps wasn't an easy build? Excellent job on the water effect as well !

BillyD

What a stunner. Everything about it is so atmospheric. So much work has gone into it and I guess the kit itself perhaps wasn't an easy build? Excellent job on the water effect as well !

BillyD

Thanks for the kind words,yes it was an old flash covered kit,but with a bit of work and imagination you can make almost anything look good LOL !