1/6 Tamiya Honda CX500 Turbo

These are pictures of the bodywork freshly painted. I found a few sink marks on both side panels where the locating pins are moulded so I had to add a small amount of Mr Hobby dissolvable Putty to them. I then added one coat of Mr Hobby 1200 primer to all of the parts, then I added a second coat of primer but this time I used Mr Hobby 1000 primer. I wet sanded the fairing and the side panels as they needed a bit more work to smooth out some surfaces and then a final coat of Mr Hobby 1200 primer and I used Tamiya gloss white from a rattle can as a base coat for the automotive pearl white. This was left overnight to dry. I sprayed two light coats of the pearl white and let that dry for a couple of hours this morning and then I put two light coats of 2K clear over all of the bike panels in readiness for adding the decals. Hopefully I will get this done in the morning and later in the day I hope to get the final coats of clear lacquer to seal the decals in and give the final finish to the bodywork. I also have base coated the handlebars and a few other parts including the seat which also requires some decals in the form of pin striping added to the bottom edge, once this is done I can add a satin/matte finish to it.

bABeGDN.jpg
aiqckVH.jpg
nPCb9xr.jpg
5E8YUa6.jpg
yH1ZImq.jpg
0Mi6S0T.jpg
RKG1OPB.jpg
lta0h3o.jpg
JyL64Ue.jpg
3YcaJAL.jpg
hegFm9d.jpg
8jBGPsm.jpg
QtK7JJH.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 1

Had an early start this morning masking up the bodywork as I found the decals that make up the grey panels were too thick to conform to the shapes of the side panels, tank and tail unit. When I tried to put them in place they wrinkled up badly and no amount of softening solution helped, so I pulled them off and decided that they would have to be masked and sprayed on. I had some Honda paint in my spare box that looked very close to the decal colour so I used that. It was a fiddly job trying to leave a black pinstripe around the grey panels but my 50 yrs plus eye sight just about managed to get it to look tidy lol!

Deb9quL.jpg
TkKGmNp.jpg
uFYAPFd.jpg
L3BsNPb.jpg
SS5RBxg.jpg
b2RtilK.jpg
lNEgHZv.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers

I left the decals to dry for a few hours this afternoon, I then gave the panels and fairing four coats of 2K high gloss lacquer. These pictures show the paint set fresh out of the spray booth, you can see from the side panel picture that one of the fairing decals are used as a colour match and because it was a Honda paint I think it looks close enough and it has got a little bit more metallic sparkle to the paint now that the lacquer has been applied. I will give you more updates on my build next week.

EAAFYGl.jpg
KVHuAi1.jpg
YKgmtJy.jpg
zkDAjnj.jpg
kVZa4MZ.jpg
3qKKLtT.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers

Very nice,got a cb 750f today so it is yr fault! :bouncy:

LOL !,Well i have the CB750 KO,CB750F[twin cam] and the mighty CB1100R all in 1/6 scale in my stash,i really would like to build the 110OR soon.Then i could replace the gap in my stash pile with the 1/6 Katana.

• Like 1

LOL !,Well i have the CB750 KO,CB750F[twin cam] and the mighty CB1100R all in 1/6 scale in my stash,i really would like to build the 110OR soon.Then i could replace the gap in my stash pile with the 1/6 Katana.

Tell you what would be nice (dont even know if it was kitted!) a CBX 1000,wouldn't mind triking that!

Tell you what would be nice (dont even know if it was kitted!) a CBX 1000,wouldn't mind triking that!

Apparently there are some CBX kits around,but not in this scale,but i have only spotted one or two kits on Ebay,and they look nothing like a CBX,they were too chuncky in shape,and asking silly prices.

• Like 1

I recon i could convert a couple of 1/12 CB750F kits into a passable CBX with a bit of work on the engine etc,the tank and side panels would have to be scratch built,i do have a large vac form machine that would help.

• Like 1

I recon i could convert a couple of 1/12 CB750F kits into a passable CBX with a bit of work on the engine etc,the tank and side panels would have to be scratch built,i do have a large vac form machine that would help.

You'll be too busy with my Freddie Spencer AMA Superbike transkit for that...if I ever make it LOL! :)

Impressive ! Not just the sheer size of the bike, but the amount of excellent work you're putting into it Lee !

BillyD

Cheers mate!

The build is only half the story,i intend to add lights to the bike,and mount it on a base as if its being displayed at a bike show.

Got a bit more work done on the Honda, added almost all the pipe work, brake pipes etc and wired up the battery. I made a few tweaks to the paintwork, I needed to widen the grey panel on the tail unit to flow in with the side panels better and I remember these bikes had a more fluorescent red than the decal sheet provided, so I used a Humbrol acrylic paint to redo the red stripe on the fairing and tail unit. I also built the instrument binnacle, I have had a mini disaster with the fairing screen, it developed a crack in the centre, so I have decided to paint it black to give the impression of a dark tint. I tried to make a copy out of clear styrene sheet but it was not conforming to the shape of the fairing very well. Also I found a link to the Honda museum and their Honda turbo had the exhaust system in a satin black finish rather than a black chrome finish, so I repainted the exhaust with Vallejo clear acrylic varnish over a previously painted 2k matt clear, I think the finish looks a close match to the factory spec. I am waiting for the smds to arrive so I can add the lighting.

yImDXX0.jpg
AXw5jKt.jpg
M8V14uC.jpg
8NuoOpp.jpg
Sm1sIVP.jpg
TlXyG29.jpg
NBhBor4.jpg
UgA6a3J.jpg
bXE2PSW.jpg
WKHbC4j.jpg
h4KJ5pJ.jpg
3sdllqR.jpg
vz09c7K.jpg
FPaSLO7.jpg
bpenfGd.jpg
EerPT9t.jpg
B25XSD9.jpg
3TbydQf.jpg
LHz1CFJ.jpg
dIFiEye.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 1

Just a quick update on the Honda build. I fitted the repaired screen into the fairing, then added the decal and masked up the fairing and lacquered the screen, fortunately the lacquer covered really well, then once the screen had cured for a few hours. I had a go at fitting the side and centre stand return springs, these looked a bit fiddly to attach but they clipped on ok. The fitting of the rear grab handles were no problem, the fairing requires the removal of the front wheel, I have a few fit issues around the fairing inner dash panels to sort out but nothing too difficult. I think I may trim the mounting lugs on the tanks sides where they connect with the side of the fairing, trimming them down a few millimetres should close up the gaps between the fairing and tank. Anyway I hope you enjoy the sneak peek of how the bodywork all fits with its paint scheme. Hopefully the lighting kit will arrive next week, that should be fun getting the indicators flashing and taillight and headlight working!

2kqWwBo.jpg
TLhIi5i.jpg
wzd02yT.jpg
bqnruZD.jpg
tVhVdPK.jpg
JvjevIs.jpg
Dl89XaI.jpg
hifvGp4.jpg
Rc8F5Qk.jpg
hhfnT1o.jpg
iZbH1Ts.jpg
TpombS7.jpg
VnkiSDw.jpg
Obes2U3.jpg
p9mpN5m.jpg
2PaHuar.jpg
SBSoZ8D.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 2

Ahhh!...I remember them well....I had the Suzuki XN85 (650 cc) Turbo.....one of only 200 released.....looked like a guided missile....and handled like a Ducati....

Stunning build of a real modern classic.

Regards

Thanks Ron,i always thought the XN85 was a great looking bike,this kit has been a real fun build,i would have loved Tamiya to have built Gpz 750 Turbo in this scale that would have been awesome,sadly i think today,s prices would push them into the very high end bracket,out of the reach of most folks budget.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, well the lighting kit finally arrived on Friday morning, tracking stated it was in Coventry depot the previous week! Fortunately it incurred no custom charges (I had purchased 2 light kits), anyway I set to work getting the lights installed, the kit comes with 4 orange LED's, 1 red LED for the rear light, 4 white LED's which are for headlights on cars and reverse lights. The bike only required 1 headlight LED, but I put 2 LED's in one above the other, the LED's don't require resistors as the board has the correct resistance already built in, thus simplifying the installation. I decided to mount the battery compartment and the circuit board into the underside of the petrol tank as this is relatively easy to access once the bike is finished.

A quick test last night showed that everything works as it should, it uses a magnetic reed switch to go through the sequence, there is also an on/off switch which I have extended the wiring to so it will allow me a place underneath the rear mudguard where I can access the switch. Once the switch is on, the system brings the headlight and tail light on, then swiping over the magnetic switch with the supplied magnet will bring the high beam on, a second swipe across the switch will turn the left front and rear indicators on, the third swipe across the switch will turn the right indicators on, the fourth swipe will turn the rear brake light on, the fifth swipe across the switch will turn the reverse lights on (this is for a car, so the blue wire for the positive side of the circuit I have not used), the sixth swipe across the switch will turn all 4 indicator lights on to simulate hazard lights and the seventh swipe across the switch will place the bike lighting system on automatic sequencing through all the above light phases, to return to manual mode just swipe across the switch once more. Alternatively by switching the main power switch off and then back on will bring the light kit back to the manual mode.

Now that the lights are all working, I now have to neatly position the fairing tank and rear tail unit back onto the bike and then find a mounting position for the magnetic switch so that I can get close access to it for the magnet to swipe across it, I shall probably put it behind one of the mesh grills in the side fairing, I hope to get this done in the next day or so. Finally I posted this build onto the Britmodeller forum and mentioned the problem I had with the cracked fairing screen and to my surprise a fellow modeller called Stuart Davidge kindly got in touch and offered a screen that he had which I was delighted to accept, so I have removed the black screen and I will probably slightly smoke tint the replacement screen, this should make the bike a lot more realistic. Once the lighting is all installed on the bike, my next part of the build is to construct a base to mount the bike on which will be lighted, I want to give the impression that the bike is being exhibited to the world's press at its launch back in 1982, so I'm hoping to build a type of display stand for the pre production model. I'm going to construct a set of brackets that will lock the wheels to the base, this will replicate how most display bikes at a show are positioned to allow bike enthusiasts to swing a leg over and try out the ergonomics and seating position on the bike.

lyyeasd.jpg
BhICeZN.jpg
tWVO6Ao.jpg
XirNbXK.jpg
x3YAG7Q.jpg
8PxgCh2.jpg
X889EBX.jpg
TjeghsR.jpg
ratXz66.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers

Nicely done mate :)

With regard to lighting the base like a showroom......try these....

https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/product/oo_gauge_adjustable_spotlight

Ron

Cheers Ron,they look superb,i will look to order some when they get them back in stock.

Edited by Lee Chambers

Incredible detailing and documentation. I had the Katana kit in 1/6 when I was in high school, and I had so much fun building these. Gorgeous bike!!!

The big Kat is on my Christmas list LOL!,I am thinking of building my Honda CB1100R 1/6 scale kit soon,i picked it up off Ebay for a real bargain price because the seller had painted the frame.

• Like 1