1/6 Tamiya Honda CX500 Turbo

The Honda CX500 Turbo was the world's first mass production turbocharged motorcycle and the world's first electronic fuel injected bike to be put into mass production. It was superseded in the first year of production by the CX650 Turbo, this only stayed in production for a further 12 months. It was the era of corporate flexing of technological muscles in an effort to outsell their competitors. All of the Japanese bike manufacturers dabbled in turbo technology but it was ultimately a dead end but it made good marketing.

Continuing with the build on this bike, I decided that this kit was showing its age, the plated parts looked dated, I stripped the cylinder heads, rear swing arm, clutch cover and oil filter housing with Oven Pride cleaning gel. I primed them with Mr Surfacer 1000 grey primer, I then sprayed them with Vallejo Duraluminium and Vallejo Chrome that worked more like aluminium. The frame and other black parts I painted with automotive base coat black acrylic. Then I used a 2K clear coat for gloss finishes and a 2K matt for satin finishes, like on the engine parts etc.

eN2NSNJ.jpg
Jo71fof.jpg
rIUOYUG.jpg
AGZYJE0.jpg
u7cdzDS.jpg
ftZlJBX.jpg
GOiK8yU.jpg
axA2VBB.jpg
XWBHFFL.jpg
OrQgfJq.jpg
ae95hC9.jpg
7f4MX8D.jpg
iH17gOx.jpg
EW0058L.jpg
s94AxOD.jpg
obCYs2F.jpg
nCcMVZ2.jpg
fSgDhp2.jpg
TPwX9uC.jpg
9fb0kHC.jpg
VkuVytg.jpg
zGBfWSS.jpg
k4MUJko.jpg
u5iL9O6.jpg
h1AzQfN.jpg
LnV0Hsb.jpg
dsW1w32.jpg
IvdXRne.jpg
yPJC66f.jpg
kFIpbL0.jpg
cwZmvU6.jpg
NNZtkow.jpg
3cKXrFa.jpg
CiZdsmT.jpg
z1yeRYu.jpg
fzDOL5c.jpg
5q0jSfB.jpg
M24wczb.jpg
pYiP7Tb.jpg
Oklcdxh.jpg
8q2TTmm.jpg
mbnpIhd.jpg
4gGW04u.jpg
zc31mGL.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 5

Hi Lee!

Built one of these about 12 years ago,You're in for a treat! :thumbsup:

Will follow along,and try to dig out some pics!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete,many thanks for the pics,they will come in very useful,cheers!

Beat me to it!

Looking forward to this one.

Btw, I rode a none turbo back in the eighties, gawd, it was horrid!

Rick.

I have never rode the Turbo version,but i rode the CX650 Eurosport,it was not my cup of tea,i sold it and bought a Yamaha FJ1200,that was a great bike.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That looks fantastic,heard that if a CX was fitted with engine crash bars (naturally to protect the engine!) and if the bike took a tumble then the bars could write the frame off! :banghead:

Don.t know about that happening on a CX,but my mates BMW R1200RT 2005 model,had his engine casing wrote off by a engine protection bar sliding at low speed into a curb!

Hi guys, I managed to get a few more hours in on the Honda bike build. My target was to get the engine in the frame by the end of this week. I had to mask up the hubs on the wheels and spray them the same colour as the disc inner which was the Vallejo gold metallic. I was very happy with the finish from the Vallejo Duraluminium which gave a cast metal effect on the swing arm and shaft drive unit. By following the excellent Tamiya instructions, I figured out how to fit the rear shock unit into the frame and assemble the rear brake master cylinder which had to be attached to the right hand inner frame. This had to be done before the rear wheel could be fitted. I decided that the rear inner mudguard would be left unpainted as it was supposed to be a satin black finish and the moulding was already in that colour which matched the real bike plastic. Also I found the top of the battery housing, the expansion bottle cap and the rear brake master cylinder fluid housing cap together with the radiator fan shroud and fan unit were all correct scale finish straight off the sprue gate.

The engine went into the frame fairly straightforward by simply offering it up to the frame. Everything lined up with the engine mounts, a 2mm threaded pin is provided as the bottom engine mount bolt. Once this was in place the whole engine swings up into the frame and a touch of glue on the top mounts secures the engine into the frame. It's just simply a matter of making sure that the shaft drive output rubber bellow fits snugly onto the shaft drive tunnel. I have to build the turbocharger next and plumb it in with the exhaust system and then I will give you an update sometime next week.

cVul4rZ.jpg
TNJ3czj.jpg
dXlzIp4.jpg
th6nifP.jpg
Rnay9RR.jpg
MAeFemM.jpg
fYgiN65.jpg
uU6EjWa.jpg
clYtaWF.jpg
m15WOLr.jpg
JhsdKPk.jpg
OfwiQlX.jpg
CWtMqkm.jpg
cOtITiQ.jpg
SGZqC1Z.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 1

Great job so far, I had the bog standard cx and a mate of mine had the turbo, he let me have a go, two completely different animals, these Tamiya bike kits are truly amaking, I've built a few and the fit and detail is nothing short of awesome.look forward to the next update.

Your correct about less adventurous engineering,remember the oval piston NR750,RC30,and Suzuki,s RE5 Wankel rotary effort,sadly these days they are all strangled by emission,safety laws,and crap in the fuel,today,s bikes are more like Dyson cleaners than bikes,and then there,s cars.......!!LOL.

• Like 1

Hi all, I've been busy putting the turbo and exhaust manifolds together for the Honda. I decided to strip the silver plating from the parts and then glue the components together and I then cleaned up the seam lines. I could see that getting everything to line up was going to be a tricky job, so I test fitted all the parts, then tacked them in place with Tamiya extra thin, then I added a little cyno glue to the centre manifold and the header pipes, this would guarantee the parts would all fit once they were painted, once primed I black base coated the parts including the top fairing frame and air chamber, then I Alclad chromed the turbo, shaded some clear red and blue followed by some vallejo jet exhaust metallic. Finally a satin clear coat was added to all the parts.

HeUf75R.jpg
p0JqMBD.jpg
59XCJ19.jpg
6NQlaqB.jpg
u0BWgiT.jpg
l4BLeb2.jpg
h9YjYqX.jpg
7bnLw90.jpg
J4lG9GT.jpg
DcT7TnE.jpg
m0vhRxQ.jpg
Bpifx7A.jpg
aSrVlEq.jpg
sLmtNTs.jpg
VRSDRmX.jpg
7YRv3ej.jpg
Cmq5EQP.jpg
vQrAbu8.jpg
d6mEZyq.jpg
cQPn0U9.jpg
d9q3Sek.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers

Hi all, this is the second part of the turbo build. I got the turbo fitted to the Honda engine with the radiator and outlet exhaust pipe. For the next part, I will be prepping and painting the bodywork.

6SDjAF5.jpg
ppIdO4L.jpg
iyYTppG.jpg
oKju2sZ.jpg
K8xrRCC.jpg
YKOeDck.jpg
jQsl638.jpg
p2VEcRC.jpg
30vqyvr.jpg
jzSouIk.jpg
p9JrZAV.jpg
FFOXnvm.jpg