DC-6/6B differences?

Killingholme

Hi all,

OK, I think I have this right:

The initial DC-6(sans suffix) was lengthened to make a DC-6A cargo-door version (same as a C-118). Then an all-passenger version of this DC-6A was made into the 6B by retaining the fuselage stretch but deleting the cargo door.

So...

How much and where would I have to chop out of a DC-6B fuselage to make a DC-6(sans suffix)? Did the two types display other differences such as window locations etc?

(btw- thinking of chopping up a Heller 1/72 DC-6B kit)

Will

Once upon a time I compared the Roden DC-6 to the Minicraft DC-6B. All the length difference was between the wing leading edge and the nose, so I feel confident in saying that's where the plug was inserted.

Many DC-6s (no suffix) were delivered with the plain non-radar nose, so that's something you may also need to change, by either filling the Heller nose with Milliput and giving it a nose job, or stealing it out of the Revell C-54 kit.

27951036061_ec675c2ebb_h.jpg

I have the references at home for this conversion (not finished yet) alas I am on the other side of the world. I cut the fuselage forward of the wing using a window line as reference point and measured off the scale cut off point

• Like 3

DC-6A and B were the same length as each other but longer than the 6, with the extension being ahead of the wing within the 'constant fuselage section' area, about halfway between wing leading edge and cockpit section.

Have got some tech diagram copies which I can PM you if interested.

Got your PM Will.

One thing to watch is that when a weather radar nose is fitted, as mentioned by Jessica, the length increases by about a foot I believe. I think this is where some of the DC-6 lengths myths may stem from.

Wally, that is a superb looking DC-6 there!

Cheers for the drawings 71Chally- top chap!

Wally, that DC-6 looks very smooth indeed- has a lovely look to it.

As it happens I am considering doing a Aerolineas Argentinas aircraft.

petroleo4.jpg

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1