Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf A. & Eduard Photo Etch kit

This kit marks a return to the hobby after way too many years break. I've used humbrol enamels and the Fuzzy Stick Applicators (paint brushes) some of which, I've had since the 1980s, throughout.

Never had an airbrush so I wouldn't know where to begin with one. (But looking forward to learning about them)This is also my first ever model to include PE, "Steep learning curve there" anyway enough of my waffle. Here's the model.

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

There are tons more Wip photos if anyone wants to see how it progressed too

Edited by S3PT1C
  • Like 17

As someone who last year returned to modelling after a hiatus of 35yrs, I admire your comeback. Nice work all round!

I, like you, only used brushes and enamels back then, but in the intervening years I acquired an airbrush for other hobbies, and obviously used it upon my return to modelling. I cannot stress how much better an airbrush is for applying primers, base coats, camouflage patterns, varnishes, etc. They speed-up the processes and give perfect finishes. (reliant on correct mixing and consistency of paints/varnishes of course)

Back in my youth the most advanced techniques at the time were wet and dry-brushing with enamels. Acrylics only made an appearance in the middle of my 'teenage stint' at modelling, and to be honest I didn't get on with them at all, but then I was using brushes. So I was very wary of using them last year. Using an airbrush nowadays, I could see the benefits of using acrylics, but still I have had problems with them, with both acrylic paints and acrylic varnishes. You might like to see my disastrous adventures with a Nashorn in the WIP section... 'The Nashorn is dead' where I had to strip and entire model back to the plastic, started again, nearly finished it, then completely ruined it for a second time before destroying it in a fit of anger. lol

This was immediately followed by another near-completed model being destroyed after the new varnish I tried ALSO failed to protect the underlying paintwork. Now, I don't know what the problem was, but BOTH models had base coats of Tamiya dark yellow. And maybe this particular paint is 'weaker' than others, because I am currently using exactly the same techniques, using the same varnishes and washes etc on a Sherman, and I've had no problems whatsoever. Maybe Tamiya Olive Drab is 'stronger' than Dark Yellow? In truth, I still think enamel paints are superior to acrylics in their 'toughness' and more especially as washes.

Anyway, the point is, much has changed over the decades, with many new techniques being employed to great effect. I can see where your modelling WILL improve with time, if you are prepared to watch videos, lay out a bit of money on materials and equipment, and practice..

So, well done with the Panther and a marvellous job with the PE too... I have real problems with such tiny parts.... and I look forward to your next project.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks Badder

Im still stuck on the tamiya acrylics that seemed to peel off when i applied/tried to apply a second coat. the seventies was a long time ago and the heartache remains of seeing good work peeling away as you tried to improve it...... Ive tried Valejo on a coupla figures this week but I'm holding out on final verdict for now... though these seem to be the paints of choice at the moment. airbrush is something I'm looking to get sooner rather than later.

thanks again for taking the time to look at my work and offer your advice man

• Like 1

Mac!

Sorry I've only just got round to checking out your RFI. Mate you've done a superb job on her! Brush painted aswell!

Really commendable stuff my friend. The Camo looks awesome and you've done a top job of the PE. I had a Tamiya Panther A before I started my G, decided it was a none starter as the kit I felt wasn't worth the effort. How wrong was I because you've made yours shine my friend.

Thanks for sharing and welcome back to the hobby and to the forums.

Ben.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hats off my friend! You've done a fantastic job on this. I hear you call for working with PE for the first time, only gets easier! After such a long break this is how you make a come back! Well done! Now...whats next :)

• Like 1

Thanks Mixup

I'm working on a wee academy kit (M3 Stuart Honey) crackin little kit, with my first ever individual track links already included in the box. :thumbsup: ​Bonus is theres rubber band tracks in the box too, So if it all goes belly up I can resort to them as a back up

Edited by S3PT1C

• 1 month later...