Revell 747 TWA could be a -200?

DrewP

Hi, everyone.

As said above, could the Revell 747 in the TWA boxing be used as a -200? I know filling the windows would be an easy fix for the three-on-top. But the engines sometimes throw me off. I'm considering an Iberia 747-200, and the engines I've seen on airliners.net seem to be very similar to the ones provided in the kit. They're both use JT9D's, the Iberia -200 and -100s. Wikipedia says the only differences between the two models being the engines and the MTOW/Range/Fuel Capacity which are things I can't change. I'm not very knowledgable with engine specifications, so any help? And since the Doyusha/Entex 1/100 kit is based off the same Revell mould, would the same stand for that kit? (The box has a -200 on the top).

The engines look the same, so would the only "major" change be filling in the top deck windows and using decals?

The Iberia -200:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/145/357861474_f6ebd0ec30_z.jpg?zz=1

A Lufthansa -100:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/airliners/2/6/8/0789862.jpg?v=v20

Thanks,

Drew

The only major external differences between the Revell plastic and a -200 747 are the small SATCOM antenna fairing at the join of the hump and the main fuselage and the number of upper deck windows. The engines didn't have the blow-in doors, but that's not very visible on the Revell parts given the cleanup you need to do with them :)

The Satcom antenna is clearly visible in this picture and also in your Lufthansa picture above.

I didn't notice the difference in the antennae, thank you! That opens up more options for decals for me. The TWA ones that came with it are ok, but very basic and don't have windows, rather openings. I'd rather get something from 26 or DRAW. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Drew

I admit my bias, but I'm rather fond of this scheme and this one :)

This link takes you to 3 pages of everything 747 at 26 Decals, many of which are nice and bright indeed (but be careful, for therein lurk -300s and -400s also). This is all the 747 options on offer at Draw, Decal (again, the same caveat). Flying Colors decals has a nice set of details, United and TWA "Mastercard" scheme on offer.

Thank you for all those links! I couldn't find the correct Iberia decals, but I did see a PEOPLExpress (in 1/200) that really interested me. I'll have to ask Ray if he could scale one up for me. Thanks for all the help!

Drew

There's this one, or the same scheme direct from 26.

While that scheme is rather nice, I'm more of a fan of Iberia's 3-color "swoop-down" as I call it. I'm not sure why, but the colors and the way that they don't go across the whole length of the plane and swoop up near the front has always been interesting to me. Thanks!

Drew