RAF Defford, Pershore

Whofan

I spent an afternoon at Croome Court (National Trust) with SWIMBO this week, and we visited the small museum devoted to RAF Defford, the adjacent airfield that was used during and after WW2 by the TRU.

I confess I hadn't known about this base, and had an enjoyable chat with a couple of volunteers who'd been stationed at the base during the '50's.

They also have a bomber Canberra cockpit on display. Also in the museum they have a display of 1/72 models of most of the planes that flew out of the base, testing radar and ecm systems.

• Like 2

It's an interesting place.

It's about 5 minutes from my house.

I haven't been for awhile, so must pop by soon as I didn't know about the Canberra cockpit.

Rick.

Glad I could be of help

• Like 2

I live in Malvern and they currently have a big set of pictures about tru defford as well as other units, in this area, that made technical advances over the war and the 50's. It's got some nice pictures of the defford flight.... Including a cracking picture of a Lincoln daisy cutting the runway on one engine, 😳 Takes some balls to fly something that big at zero feet on one out of four engines!

If I remember (memory not my strongest trait) I will take some pictures.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1