IMAI Bianchi 1/16 (Rare)

Much to my surprise I won this very unusual kit for a very modest price in a eBay auction. It's pretty much as new, in good condition with all parts in original sealed bags. I haven't had a chance to examine it in detail but from what I've seen it looks well engineered. Not particularly bothered about the motorization but I'll use it anyway. It also appears to have fully working steering.

As for the actual vehicle, there's very little information about it on the Information Super Highway other than it's circa 1906 and 15-20HP.

bianchi%20box_zpszoyhcqpp.jpg

box%20contents_zpsq3aosox6.jpg

bianchi%20instructions_zpswmdetnzc.jpg

As I've got something else on the bench at the moment, it'll be a while before I update this WIP.

• Like 2

The chassis is fully sprung with leaf springs front and rear. The passengers must have had a very comfortable ride :)

Now got round to a closer look at what's in the box.

On this sprue there's a breakage, the U-shaped piece on the end of the chassis rail. As far as I can tell this is the only broken part.

bianchi%20sprue2_zpszthnmbwm.jpg

bianchi%20sprue5_zpsindhnjol.jpg

bianchi%20sprue1_zps3jc4zxbt.jpg

The individual leafs for the springs are a nice touch.

bianchi%20sprue4_zpsrpibzb2k.jpg

There's even a tube of grease.

bianchi%20sprue7_zpsf4opzkei.jpg

bianchi%20sprue6_zpsfgfkg0py.jpg

bianchi%20sprue3_zpsxetomehi.jpg

bianchi%20sprue10_zpsg5esh1v3.jpg

bianchi%20sprue9_zpshxfulgml.jpg

bianchi%20sprue8_zpsxfaspone.jpg

• Like 1

The build didn't get off to a particularly good start as I found that the pressed steel valve lifters are oversize and don't clear the inside of the casing. After spending some time trying to work out a fix I gave up with the lifters but left the shaft in place as this also turns the fan.

The rest of this section of the build went OK. The motor and gear box work fine.

bianchi13922_zpstbmbqxyo.jpg

gearbox%20motor1_zpsscijxzho.jpg

bianchi%20valves2_zpshxwxqdlk.jpg

The fan belt supplied in the kit disintegrated, literally turned to dust, made of some sort of vinyl I guess, the only part that so far has died of old age. I substituted it with a rubber band.

bianchi%20valves3_zpscpsemqaj.jpg

• Like 1

A small update on the engine build, cylinder heads and exhaust manifold fitted.

bianchi%20engine1_zpszugx9gmj.jpg

bianchi%20engine2_zpsmwrqrssa.jpg

A second reduction gearbox which also acts like a clutch, the drive to the wheels can be disengaged.

bianchi%20gearbox3_zpsuiagafgg.jpg

The battery contacts and switch wired up. Remarkably it all works including the gear lever/clutch but I'm a bit suspicious of the switch which appears oversize for its allocated space and might cause problems later.

bianchi%20battery1_zpscdyhjoty.jpg

The next step on this build is the steering box.

bianchi%20steering%20box1_zpsylevxtcp.jp

After a bit of 'scratch building' I managed to get the switch in the correct position, the slider sticks through a slot in the floor. This slot had to be enlarged to allow clearance for the slider. It's also supposed to have two holes for the mounting screws but the holes are absent.

At this point I gave the motor and mechanicals another test run. All seemed OK until I became aware of a smell of burning :yikes:. I assumed it was the motor until I saw smoke coming from the switch. On examination I noticed that the insulation on some of the wires had melted. One battery was also extremely hot! The switch is three position or supposed to be, on-on-off for selecting fast or slow (one or both batteries). Unfortunately the switch is faulty (not my wiring :) ) but still useable as on-off for single speed operation. No great loss.

bianchi%20chassis%20st2_zpsxdtt61jl.jpg

• Like 1

An interesting kit, especially since it is motorized.

I'm glad you didn't lose too much magic smoke from the battery! Looking forward to seeing this built and running!

It was a close thing but luckily no serious damage done. Surprising how many amps a shorted alkaline AA battery can deliver!

Looking good!

I like the rust on the exhaust manifold particularly.

So, when you're done you'll do a video of it scooting across the floor yes? :thumbsup:

If past experience of making motorized models is anything to go by, it'll be a miracle if it moves at all :unsure:

A bit more done, front axle and steering.

bianchi%20front%20axle2_zpsnkyzcocm.jpg

The tyres are rubber and gone a bit sticky

bianchi%20wheels1_zps9rd6bbim.jpg

The main parts for the cab. I couldn't decide what colour to paint it but then I thought that a wealthy VIP or royalty would be chauffeured around in something like this, so gold it had to be,

bianchi%20cab3_zps0n59aef6.jpg

Back axle and suspension completed. A test run of the motor was successful with drive to the axle so I'm a little more confident that it'll be a runner.

bianchi%20back%20axle1_zpsp85wcugz.jpg

bianchi%20back%20axle2_zpsaaqhh3ll.jpg

Due to warping, assembling the cab was awkward and I'm a little disappointed with the finished result. The hinging method for the doors is poor so I've glued them in. The windows are held in by 4 small contact points and are likely to fall out with the slightest encouragement. Very weird, What's wrong with a lip :mental:

I now believe in gremlins. Two brackets for supporting the rear mudguards have vanished from my workbench. They're not small parts, about 30mm x 8mm, but after an extensive search there's no sign of them anywhere. They mount at the rear of the cab and I've replaced them with cocktail sticks which should be OK as they're not seen once the mudguards are in place.

bianchi%20cab1_zpspluptvnb.jpg

A little more progress on this build, cab suspension springs fitted.

bianchi%20cab%20springs1_zpst1thme5x.jpg

The cab isn't fully suspended as the rear sits on the chassis. I think this is a design flaw as the links on the rear springs don't meet the anchor points on the back of the cab.

bianchi%20cab%20springs2_zpsidu3voly.jpg

There was one on eBay recently for silly money - £99.99 - described as new and ultra-rare. The box was in very poor condition, falling apart and badly stained but the contents looked OK but difficult to tell. Unsurprisingly no bids. Might get relisted at a more sensible price.