Ultimate Modelling Sanders

Digger1895

Hi Digger

I don't have the UMP sanders but I have successfully washed out other brands of sponge sanders using warm water and a drop of liquid hand soap. It doesn't get every last particle out of them but it does restore very well.

I wouldn't try this in the more rigid type, as these appear to have a card core, which won't stand up well to the water.

Washing will only ever unclog the surface of your sanders, which is also one of the benefits of wet sanding. When the grit is worn down or lost, there's no recovering from that. Cleaning put the clay DOES extend their usefulness though, so it's worth doing.

I've been thinking of putting some of my old ones in a mesh bag and popping them in the washing machine. Might work? :shrug:

I've been thinking of putting some of my old ones in a mesh bag and popping them in the washing machine. Might work? :shrug:

Might be worth a try Mike, just wondering what the prolonged soaking will do to them. And what my Mrs will do to me if she found out!!

:chair:

Edge

That's the part that bothered me too. Might be worth a try with some that are beyond saving on a short wash at low temp before mulching good ones ;)

• 1 month later...

In metal work you would use a file carding (a sort of wire brush) to clean a file.  I apply this principle and regularly give my sticks a scrub with a stiff toothbrush.  You can use the wife's if you don't want to use yours!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Derek A
Typo

A bag full of abrasives in a washing machine.... very brave.

If you are lucky the bag won't shred.

The sticks won't rub against each off and slough of lots of abraisive grit in to the water.

And the grit won't knacker your pump/seals.

Hand wash with a nail brush, and blow dry with the air brush compressor if you have one.