Airfix Vulcan FINISHED, Starlifter moving to KUTA X GB area

Hi guysarrow-10x10.png

West Middlesex Model Club was contacted recently asking if someone could build an Airfix Vulcan for a guy who used to be a flight engineer on these before the Black Buck missions. He had been bought the kit many years ago and he has never got round to it. For some crazy reason I put my hand up and volunteered. I must be a glutton for punishment and it has been maybe 20 years since I last had a go at one of these. I will probably end up rescribing the beast as the horrible raised details will not survive the clean up required. I know this kit has many issues quality and accuracy wise which I am not fussed about. Really looking forward to a quick build and gettingarrow-10x10.png to the paint stage which I am looking forward to. Hopefully I can do a good job on this. Looking to mount on a wooden base at the end. I will need to do some research for a hard stand concrete base replica thing to mount to the wooden base. It could be interesting finding one big enough.

Childhoodarrow-10x10.pngmemories.

27923594813_c2a70b99a5_h.jpgIMAG1442 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Here is where things are so far.

27922416954_e5f50b67d6_h.jpgIMAG1443 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Not much left in the box.

28539390775_cc7a3b9fb6_h.jpgIMAG1444 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Filling and sanding in easily accessible areas.

28507337526_6a3f83ccb1_h.jpgIMAG1445 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 7

Dear Mark

A chap in Cambridge on our favourite site sells brass Vulcan exhausts for the Black Buck Vulcans.I bought a set and they look miles better than the Airfix attempts.

Regards Toby

Hi Toby

Do you know how much they are?

Cheers

Mark

Dear Mark

A chap in Cambridge on our favourite site sells brass Vulcan exhausts for the Black Buck Vulcans.I bought a set and they look miles better than the Airfix attempts.

Regards Toby

Heck that would have saved me a lot of pain!

Great start Mark, and good luck. If you're anything like me you may find that the Airfix Vulcan turns you to drink.

Great start Mark, and good luck. If you're anything like me you may find that the Airfix Vulcan turns you to drink.

Might I just second that! :P

I'll be watching this with great interest :)

Many thanks,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail

Dear Mark

Regards Toby

Thanks for the plug Toby, glad you were pleased with them. I've only got 1 set left if any one is interested.

Will be watching this build closely, always nice to see an Airfix Vulcan going together.

Cheers, gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 1

Thanks for the plug Toby, glad you were pleased with them. I've only got 1 set left if any one is interested.

Will be watching this build closely, always nice to see an Airfix Vulcan going together.

Cheers, gazza l

I could very well be - are they for the 301 engines?

Regards

Ben

Good luck with this Mark - mines still in the loft as I've started rescribing but lost the will.

Really must pick it back up again as I spent a small fortune on all the wolfpack sets for it plus a myriad of other extras!!

Master have just released a brass refueling probe for the Vulcan.

Good luck with this Mark - mines still in the loft as I've started rescribing but lost the will.

Really must pick it back up again as I spent a small fortune on all the wolfpack sets for it plus a myriad of other extras!!

Master have just released a brass refueling probe for the Vulcan.

Cheers mate. Yes I saw the brass refueling probe. I might look at that because the kit part is toilet.

I scraped and sanded the wings today along with the intake tubes. Rolled up sheets of various wet and dry grades did the trick. I'll hit them with some primer next week to see how things are looking but they look almost there.

Hi guys

Here is a small update on the Vulcan and where things currently stand.

The intake trunks have been sanded down using various grades of rolled up wet and dry sheets. They are near to ready I think. I will hit them with some primer tomorrow to see if anymore work is required.

28079244083_537079499c_b.jpgIMAG1471 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

28617414401_0b3c76afb6_h.jpgIMAG1472 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The underside of one of the wing has been sanded back and rescribed. I have omitted all the inspection panels etc because I don't have things like oval templates and being the underside this will almost never be looked at. It is my first time using the Alec Holly scribers in full front line action and all I have to say is they are ridiculously easy to get on with. So much better than the Trumpeter butchers knife I used previously. I am using 3M 471 pinstripe tape as a guide to scribe against and It is working well. Easy to conform to any angle or curve and gives 5-10 sticks before the adhesive is totalled. The 0.15mm Holly is the weapon of choice for this build. Once the lines are scribed I rub them down with some 1200 wet and dry to clean up the cut out material and gently use the Holly again freehand to clean out the sanded material. Finally I give them a pass over with Tamiya Extra Thin to melt any remaining material. I have given them a coat of clay dark dirt wash to highlight them for the pictures. This one underside took about 90 minutes to sand back, rescribe and clean up so hoping to speed things up as I progress the rest.

28617414051_ae3844cb86_h.jpgIMAG1473 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

28617413441_298f0c8900_h.jpgIMAG1475 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. More progress tomorrow.

• Like 7

Those intakes look great I can see a lot of work has gone into them, who needs resin. The rescribing on the wing looks tidy too.

The intakes didn't take long at all. Maybe 45 minutes to do both.

This is a great kit when built well, can see this will be!

Personally I think the only aftermarket the kit cries out for is the exhaust cans.

Definitely. I am tempted but as this build isn't for me I might not. The only other thing I would change would be the newly released Master metal refueling probe.

Does anyone know if XM607 used the Olympus 201 tailpipes or Olympus 202 tailpipes during the Black Buck raids??

Edited by snapper_city

In case anyone is interested here is how the intakes were sanded. Rolled up wet and dry. 320, 600 and 1200 grade. It took about 45 mins - 1 hour to sand both. who needs resin replacements. The seams were filled with styrene and Tamiya Extra Thin soup mix. This was left to cure over a few days while I was on my work shift.

28628068931_4497c624a7_h.jpgIMAG1476 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 4

Does anyone know if XM607 used the Olympus 201 tailpipes or Olympus 202 tailpipes during the Black Buck raids??

It had 301 engines as did all the black buck vulcans as they had a longer range than the 201 / 202 engines

It had 301 engines as did all the black buck vulcans as they had a longer range than the 201 / 202 engines

Hmmm, Freightdog doesn't cater for them.. I wonder what external differences there were??

Unsure but as I recall the kit engines are 301s

Vaguely recollect the 301s have a bigger hole but happy to be proven wrong

Scribings looking good - much better than my efforts!!

XM607 had 301 Series engines, which were fitted to all Skybolt capable aircraft. This had nothing to do with range, but thrust. More power was needed to lift the heavier weight.

With regards to the Black Buck missions, this had 2 bonuses.

1) With the aircraft at it's all up weight, 21 x 1000lb iron bombs and full fuel load (probably the heaviest the aircraft had ever been), the trust was needed to get of the airstrip at Ascension.

2) Only 301 engined Vulcans had pylon fixing points for Skybolt, which were utilized for the missions.

With regards to the exhaust shapes, the 301 is straighter and not kinked outwards like previous engines were

• Like 1