Airfix Vulcan FINISHED, Starlifter moving to KUTA X GB area

10 hours ago, Stu_davros said:

Congratulations Mark, another perfect miniature human.

Cheers,

Stuart

Cheers Stuart. How are things with you? We should try meet up sometime. It's been ages.

10 hours ago, Bendinggrass said:

Mark,

I am very happy for you and your family.... lovely little ones.

You sure have inspired me to get on to my Vulcan.

Randy

Hi Randy. I'm glad it is inspiring you. The kit requires a bit of work but is worth it in the end.

10 hours ago, gazza l said:

Congrats Mark, I thought you had gone awfully quiet, now I know why!

gazza l

Hi Gary

Yep, modelling has had to take a back seat lately but will soon be back in the fold. Even the stash growth has suffered of late with the empty wallet feeling of recent events. Only one new kit added. The Special Hobby 1/48 Ju-88 C4. I can't wait to get back to the 'new' bench.

On 25/02/2017 at 9:24 AM, snapper_city said:

Cheers Stuart. How are things with you? We should try meet up sometime. It's been ages.

I'm good thanks Mark, work is having it's usual upheavals. It'll be good to meet up, let me know when you get a spare minute and we'll arrange something.

Cheers,

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Things are starting to return back to normal here after the house move and new arrival. I have got myself a desk and slowly setting up the 'bench' area.

32730131954_3449f32760_h.jpgIMAG2743 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The underside scoops have been attached while the rear ones have had a channel hollowed into them. They were solid plastic before.

33532570006_abc9e60f1e_h.jpgIMAG2744 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

On the underside of the starboard engines I'm guessing these are fuel dump pipes? I have replaced the ends with some tube cut from an old Revell Contacta glue. Not 100% but a lot better than the kit solid plastic.

32730131184_fb947940e6_h.jpgIMAG2746 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

It's great to be back at the 'new' bench.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Great to see you back into it Mark.

How long will the bench remain that tidy? Every time I clean mine, after half an hour it's a mess again!

gazza l

After many years working on dining room tables and now having a 2 year old running around it should stay quite tidy. Even though we are getting a stair gate to stop the little ones getting back there it will only be to stop them at short notice when I can't tidy up. Otherwise they will have access to the back especially come the summer. I generally prefer a tidy bench and clean up at the end of each modelling session. If things are too messy I get annoyed with it. Give it 2-3 years when we get a dedicated hobby cave down the garden will I have the opportunity to leave chemicals, knifes and tools out at will. 

• Like 2

Having the door to the garden in the middle of the man cave is probably going to be like trying to sleep in the middle of the M1! Nice enhancement to the Vulcan. And congratulations on the new arrival. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Having the door to the garden in the middle of the man cave is probably going to be like trying to sleep in the middle of the M1! Nice enhancement to the Vulcan. And congratulations on the new arrival. 

Regards,

Adrian

I couldn't imagine trying to model with the kids about. I doubt anyone would let me get away with it. I mostly get time during the day when our two year old is at nursery and I'm not at work. Joys of shift work. 

Small update guys.

Today I finished the fuel dump pipes (I think this is what they are?) and attached the under tray thing. :wonder:

This was followed by attaching Gazza's excellent turned brass burner cans using gorilla glue. They really look the part. The body requires a bit of a touch up around the cans that were sort of flared to the exhausts. Not sure how much effort I will do with these as I just want to push the build on now. I am also probably going to dump the idea of for adding lead wiring cables to the undercarriage just to save time even though I normally can't help myself scratching this and that. We will see once I come to that area.

33211432140_802a070923_h.jpgIMAG2757 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Until next time..

• Like 9

Looking good Mark (sorry if that sounds a bit big headed) but it's the first time I've seen them fitted to kit. I turned the O/D of the pipes slightly smaller than the plastic fairings

so that these can be sanded and shaped to the brass rather than the other way round. Did they fit easily or did you have to remove a lot of the plastic?

Look forward to more progress.

gazza l 

• 2 weeks later...

Things seem to be moving on quite well now. Here the undercarriage is being dry fitted.

33696266612_ed3d4f5109_h.jpgIMAG2774 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

I re-sprayed the white in the intakes from previous sanding events. You can see the sprue goo on the lower side which I was not happy with.

33722811721_6390c24d7c_h.jpgIMAG2775 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The other side not looking too bad.

33038845823_4ce5d75b21_h.jpgIMAG2776 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Not wanting to mess about I went straight in with some 120 grit wet and dry. A few passes soon made it disappear followed buy some sanding with gradually finer and finer sanding sticks to polish.

33038845303_1c28090698_h.jpgIMAG2810 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

On the side of all this the Starlifter's wings and horizontal stabilisers have been attached.

33696263762_1f884610f3_h.jpgIMAG2807 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Lots of sprue goo to fill the gap before sanding.

33722805881_1ebef3fe40_h.jpgIMAG2808 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Nose on.

33722805251_84f9826ffe_h.jpgIMAG2809 by Mark Inman, on Flickr 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, gazza l said:

Coming on nicely Mark, those intakes are a pain to smooth out but worth the effort. Starlifter also looks good, which scheme are you planning for?

gazza l

I haven't primed it yet but I'm feeling a lot better about it now. The Starlifter will be in one of the white and grey options.

It will be either 64-0610 City of Charleston II

33478074120_a0812c2082_h.jpgIMAG2811 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

or 66-0177 Hanoi Taxi in it's B configuration. The Caracal sheet has Hanoi Taxi in the grey and white scheme for both A & B configurations plus the all over dark grey final scheme it wore.

33733248981_1c8ca8cafd_h.jpgIMAG2812 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

There are a few tasty options on this sheet. The top one is a NMF. If I ever get another one I'll mod it to A configuration and do the NASA option. I would love to do the Euro One three tone scheme but you use so few decals from the sheet it feels a bit criminal. I'll save the Euro One scheme for the new roden C-5 once it comes out.

33478073710_5d68002111_h.jpgIMAG2814 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

• Like 4

Just about to start my own Roden Starlifter so this thread got my attention...Sad about the lack of cockpit detail...but still happy to have the kit.

Awesome job on the Vulcan too,those brass exhausts look mega...

And finally congratulations on the new baby! 

14 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Good choice, I always prefered the white/grey colours on the Starlifter and Galaxys... reminds me of spotting at Mildenhall in the 80's.

gazza l

It does have a great appeal. To me the Starlifter is one of those A/C that looks great in any scheme though. 

11 minutes ago, mungo1974 said:

Just about to start my own Roden Starlifter so this thread got my attention...Sad about the lack of cockpit detail...but still happy to have the kit.

Awesome job on the Vulcan too,those brass exhausts look mega...

And finally congratulations on the new baby! 

Cool, I will look out for your build. Yes it is a shame about the lack of cockpit detail but never mind. It could easily be scratched If someone wanted to do it.

Many thanks.

Small update guys

I have been going over some of the seams that I wasn't happy with around the leading edges where the wings joined and the tail cone to the fuselage. The tail has been attached and filled at the base. I dry brushed some oils into the cockpit to break it up a bit. Not that you will see much and attached the cockpit glass.

33629094890_4aa4191aa3_h.jpgIMAG2830 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

I have filled around the engine nozzles so they look a bit more presentable. Not 100% accurate but it will do.

33629095370_c11a779458_b.jpgIMAG2828 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

33201925313_2e51d51d02_b.jpgIMAG2829 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Finally have the paints in for the Vulcan. Never used these before but have heard good things. I'll have to do a test to make sure the colours are accurate.

33201924023_3fbfc04da0_h.jpgIMAG2834 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

I have sanded one of the Starlifter's wing roots as they have a noticeable step.

33629098400_fe7faf8015_h.jpgIMAG2831 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The paints sorted for the Starlifter.

33201930713_5b0dcb63cc_h.jpgIMAG2833 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

• Like 4

On 22/03/2017 at 7:11 PM, snapper_city said:

Small update guys.

Today I finished the fuel dump pipes (I think this is what they are?) and attached the under tray thing. :wonder:

This was followed by attaching Gazza's excellent turned brass burner cans using gorilla glue. They really look the part. The body requires a bit of a touch up around the cans that were sort of flared to the exhausts. Not sure how much effort I will do with these as I just want to push the build on now. I am also probably going to dump the idea of for adding lead wiring cables to the undercarriage just to save time even though I normally can't help myself scratching this and that. We will see once I come to that area.

33211432140_802a070923_h.jpgIMAG2757 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Until next time..

Those burner cans are beautiful. I got my set a short time ago. Your Vulcan looks great.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Small update guys

I have been going over some of the seams that I wasn't happy with around the leading edges where the wings joined and the tail cone to the fuselage. The tail has been attached and filled at the base. I dry brushed some oils into the cockpit to break it up a bit. Not that you will see much and attached the cockpit glass.

33201930713_5b0dcb63cc_h.jpgIMAG2833 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Hi Mark looking good, you're almost past the tedious filling, sanding, re-scribing stage now.

I'll be interested to see what you think of these MRP paints.

gazza l

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gazza l said:

Hi Mark looking good, you're almost past the tedious filling, sanding, re-scribing stage now.

I'll be interested to see what you think of these MRP paints.

gazza l

Almost. I need to add the little antennas, fuel probe and little aerial on one of the nose gear doors. This snapped on the sprue and is out of scale. I have attached the plastic bases to the door. I just need to glue some wire to them to make the aerial. All the gear, tires and gear doors need attaching to cocktail sticks for painting. I have ordered some two six masks for the windows. They also have wheel masks which I might use. The part I'm not looking forward to is masking inside the intakes. 

I'm really looking forward to the painting stage. It's the thing I have looked forward to most with the whole project. Not much longer. 

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Almost. I need to add the little antennas, fuel probe and little aerial on one of the nose gear doors. This snapped on the sprue and is out of scale. I have attached the plastic bases to the door. I just need to glue some wire to them to make the aerial. All the gear, tires and gear doors need attaching to cocktail sticks for painting. I have ordered some two six masks for the windows. They also have wheel masks which I might use. The part I'm not looking forward to is masking inside the intakes. 

I'm really looking forward to the painting stage. It's the thing I have looked forward to most with the whole project. Not much longer. 

Hi Mark,

Yes the intakes are a bit fiddly to mask up mainly because the demarcation line is quite deep down. I used 1mm masking tape for this and then backfilled with 6mm and 10mm Tamiya tape, plus pieces of sponge and Maskol.

I've recently tried Tamiya's flexible masking tape with good results on curves, the only downside of this is that it's quite thick so you need to go easy on the spraying.

Keep going, gazza l