Airfix Vulcan FINISHED, Starlifter moving to KUTA X GB area

12 hours ago, gazza l said:

Very nice work Mark, the camo came out rather well with the flexible tape. The jet pipes seemed to have fitted quite well, did they take much blending filling?

gazza l

Very little blending. Just a bit of filler around the edges to smooth them out. Check back on my previous posts (#111 & #121 on page 5) when I fitted them. It shows how much work was needed. The fitted like a glove though. No material removal need and next to no external sanding. 

12 hours ago, Bendinggrass said:

Really beautiful job.

Thank you.

Edited by snapper_city

Small update but no pictures. 

Tonight I painted the wheels Tamiya XF85 rubber black and the Dash-10 ECM pod XF58 olive green. Not sure if the later is the correct colour as I think it could possibly be darker. It looks OK to me as a small part and will darken once it receives a more glossy coat. I wanted to try keep a bit of a contrast from the dark green on the top of the A/C.

If I get time over the next few days I'll clean up the couple of areas on the camouflage that over sprayed and paint the gear bays. I'll probably leave the tip of the fuel probe until after the final clear coat to keep maximum shine.

14 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

You ,d better get your finger out buddy if you wanna do all those new  release by Takom :confused: You ve being at this about a year :tease:

:winkgrin::winkgrin::poke:

Yeah, yeah. I'm going as fast as I can. Still no news on their M113 or a new tool M41 or dear I say a M54 Reo truck. Come on Takom. I know you are following this thread. :wonder:

15 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

Still no news on their M113 or a new tool M41 or dear I say a M54 Reo truck. Come on Takom. I know you are following this thread.

:sleep_1:

Yeah, yeah. I'm going as fast as I can. 

Build a  real Vulcan faster then you built this :tease:

Here is how things have been going over the last week. We have the Freight Dog decals started. The decals are working well and going down just fine.

35822334844_13d2c830fb_h.jpgIMAG3682 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36518829391_1d7a0ae935_h.jpgIMAG3683 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Freight Dog tell you to refer to the Airfix instructions for decal placement. Unfortunately the Airfix instructions look like a copy of a copy and have seen better days.

36610675186_2d4f676be6_h.jpgIMAG3684 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Freight Dog don't help much either.

36518828491_a0546ef2c2_h.jpgIMAG3685 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

• Like 9

Thoroughly enjoying these builds. Your Vulcan is excellent, and all that re-scribing has certainly paid off. But seriously, all that scribing 😱 This is certainly one of the best airfix Vulcans I've seen. Top marks 

11 minutes ago, Bristow95 said:

Thoroughly enjoying these builds. Your Vulcan is excellent, and all that re-scribing has certainly paid off. But seriously, all that scribing 😱 This is certainly one of the best airfix Vulcans I've seen. Top marks 

Thank you for the kind comments. Yes it was a long process,  about 12 hours I think to re-scribe it. It's much better than the raised details that would have been destroyed by now. Hopefully I will have the decals finished tonight if I get some bench time. 

Jobs to do:

Finish decals

Finish painting the wheels

Finish painting the ECM pod

Paint the fuel probe tip

Clear coat

Panel line wash

Another clear coat

Attach gear and doors

Paint and attach aerials 

I think that is about it. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

Things have been slowly progressing again tonight with the decals. Apart from a few hoist point decals on each side of the vertical stabiliser the top side is done. Things will move under the skirt next time. With the complete lack of accurate information from the Airfix instructions I turned to the internet for a clearer picture of the stencil data. Luckily I found this wonderful Fundekals page that has a pdf image for download. It is extremely clear and a plethora of information for nearly all the schemes the Vulcan wore over her career. Highly recommended for anyone decaling a Vulcan. I wish I had found it yesterday though as I have placed maybe four decals in the incorrect location or the wrong way round. Only small stencils so not massively noticeable but annoying all the same. They refuse to move after being on the build for 24 hours now.

36508701882_88af7ab7a1_h.jpgIMAG3690 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36631769176_5c6e110ad8_h.jpgIMAG3692 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36508700632_e7502d8310_h.jpgIMAG3693 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

One of the many uses I have for the Hobby Elements Mini Divider is measuring decal distances that sit in the middle of nowhere. Symmetry yo.

36631766976_d677383cbc_h.jpgIMAG3694 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Until next time...

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Will this appear at the club Tuesday night ??

It won't be finished but I was thinking about bringing it down. Hoping to have it finished for next month club night if all goes well. 

Small update guys

Started the stencils on the underside tonight.

36367292360_2ba5dd193d_h.jpgIMAG3705 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

I'm so glad I found the Fundekals page with their downloadablearrow-10x10.png PDF of decals and stencil data. I would have been lost without it. Most of the Freightdog Models decal sheet wouldn't have been used had I been without it. Highly recommended to any future Vulcan builders. Below is the underside page I'm following and being on the tablet you can zoom right in and move about.

36764024955_02ef039ad0_h.jpgIMAG3707 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36367288430_ca74309b2d_h.jpgIMAG3708 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36764022525_cb632a2c43_h.jpgIMAG3709 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

I took her down to the West Middlesex club night last night where she got a good reception. Annoyingly while removing the Tamiya tape to show off the exhausts it pulled off chunks of the paint away. These did have a coat of Mr Metal Primer before painting but it has seemed to not do a lot. Maybe they would have been better to be dipped in a burnishing fluid first to help give something for the paint to bite to. Never mind. They will just get a simple touch up towards the end now.

36367291130_22012c49dd_h.jpgIMAG3706 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Lastly the wife bought me a cheap light box off Amazon for my birthday that I pointed out to her. It is only small but great for photographing cockpits and other small items. Here are a couple of pics of my Kettenkraftrad that I finished a few years back. Pics only taken on my crappy phone but you get the gist.

36624596171_9fd9d23b09_h.jpgIMAG3703_1 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36593898242_f45e0d0243_h.jpgIMAG3700_2 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Until next time... :hourglass:

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update but no pictures at the moment. All the decals are done. Not massively happy with a few of them but that is through my own fault. The surface wasn't well enough prepared so I have a couple that have silvered. I tried to score them to allow better surface contact but not perfect. I have learned things though. The whole thing was sealed and given an enamel pin wash. This was then sealed with a semi gloss finish. That light at the end of the tunnel is fast approaching. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, snapper_city said:

A quick update but no pictures at the moment. All the decals are done. Not massively happy with a few of them but that is through my own fault. The surface wasn't well enough prepared so I have a couple that have silvered. I tried to score them to allow better surface contact but not perfect. I have learned things though. The whole thing was sealed and given an enamel pin wash. This was then sealed with a semi gloss finish. That light at the end of the tunnel is fast approaching. 

Looking forward to seeing the finished Vulcan Mark.

It's a long hard slog to get this kit looking decent, I know this by experience, and I did say I would never build another one... strangely I now find myself building another one. :doh: 

gazza l

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gazza l said:

Looking forward to seeing the finished Vulcan Mark.

It's a long hard slog to get this kit looking decent, I know this by experience, and I did say I would never build another one... strangely I now find myself building another one. :doh: 

gazza l

Rather you than me. The next big project I will probably be tackling like this will be the Italeri AC-119 Gunship that requires a full re-scribe. Hopefully it wont require as much filler though. :D She is also quite a few builds away to be fair. I want to tackle a few shake and bake kits after this and have an easy life..

Update:

Here she is currently. Wash and Semi gloss coat applied.

36195500454_275cd9df85_h.jpgIMAG3769 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36634212560_87255ede33_h.jpgIMAG3770 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36223059893_8623de9b09_h.jpgIMAG3760 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Wheels, yawn..... These still require a wash after a flat coat to protect the Xtreme Metal hub.

36195498594_01bf3de80d_h.jpgIMAG3771 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Tonight I have also given the ECM pod a coat of Aqua Gloss in prep for some decals from the spares box. That will be tomorrow night's work.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. 

This build is back on the bench after getting sidetracked with other things. I have given the wheel hubs a dirt wash and painted the metallic parts on the undercarriage compression parts. With so few things still to do on this the end is well in sight. Looking forward to finishing her. 

Watching this space..

• Like 2