Airfix Vulcan FINISHED, Starlifter moving to KUTA X GB area

Things are still moving along slowly here. 

Here I have retired a Frog / Revell boxing Sea Vixen that has been on the shelf of doom for about 15 plus years. I first layed down a coat of Tamiya Black to act as a primer. Upon loading the colour cup up for a second time with the black my elbow knocked the airbrush and all contents over the laminate floor. Big mess that after clearing up made me wonder if I could be bothered to carry on at that point. I perceived though and here she is. My first ever time using MRP paints and I'm hugely impressed. The colour shades not so much as the grey is a million miles from what XM607 wore. These colours are probably better suited to a Buccaneer. Also the top side colours could do with another blend coat to tone all the variation down a bit. Maybe this would lighten up the grey but I still don't think it would be enough. The green I'm still thinking about.

34272710451_5fcb542fb8_h.jpgIMAG2959_1 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Here is the underside grey that has been properly blended but is no way dark enough for what I need.

34272709951_f063886350_h.jpgIMAG2960_2 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Back to the Vulcan the top aerials have been added. I will leave off the under side antenna until after the gear is attached. They will just get knocked off otherwise. 26 Decals cockpit masks to save me the ball ache of masking those curved window corners. Finally the Master replacement fuel probe is attached. Only the masking for the intakes required now and she is ready for primer.

34272711441_bb62d9a09b_h.jpgIMAG2989 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

34272710971_82dccbdb26_h.jpgIMAG2990 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

34272710661_bd24f31b58_h.jpgIMAG2991 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

All the odds and sods have been primed ready to paint.

34272709761_9471be1431_h.jpgIMAG2992 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

While priming I did a bit of seam checking on the Starlifter. I can now clearly see the areas that require attention.

34272716751_c0ebc3028c_h.jpgIMAG2993 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

34361708686_992ff10020_h.jpgIMAG2994 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Lastly here are some goodies Mr Postman recently dropped off for a future project. 

34361713286_d277203897_h.jpgIMAG2952_1 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Until next time. Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

Coming on nicely, can't wait to see her in proper colours. Do the MRP paints need thinning or are they airbrush ready?

The future project looks rather interesting!

Cheers, gazza l

No Gary they spray straight from the bottle. They really do spray well also. None of the issues you have with acrylics. I will probably have to raid my Vallejo stock to find the correct colours. Not such an issue as black basing not really required as XM607 was kept pretty clean.

Starlifter fuselage and upper wing joint seams re-sanded last night. Still the wing underside seams and engine attachment points to sort out. Re-scribe areas, attach and clean up seams for the cockpit glass. We will then be in a position to prime. 

The Vulcan needs more work on the intakes. There is paint build up on the intake walls from the vortex airflow from airbrushing in there. Also where they have been blocked to protect the fan face there is now a very clear line of two different white shades. This will now need a light sand to remove the paint build up and repaint. Quite annoying as I was hoping to get her into primer this week. Also a repaint is likely to create more dry air particle build up in there. Maybe a very wet coat will sort this with lots of retarder? The intakes are quite tight to go old school with a paint brush I think. Plus they will need a thicker coat to cover the colour line while avoiding brush strokes. I'm not 100% sure how to tackle this. 

• Like 2

Don't give up Mark, your nearly there once those pesky intakes are sorted.

I'd go for a light rub down with various grades of Micromesh and then, as you say, a thin/wet coat at a really low psi.

Good luck, gazza l

She's, well, they're all looking great. Just catching up. Tempted to do a Vulcan now.:christmas: the New addition of the sea vixen is great. I have the Airfix one to tackle. Hmmmm maybe next. :)

Johnny.

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

She's, well, they're all looking great. Just catching up. Tempted to do a Vulcan now.:christmas: the New addition of the sea vixen is great. I have the Airfix one to tackle. Hmmmm maybe next. :)

Johnny.

The Sea Vixen is just a paint mule to test colours for the Vulcan. 

If you really want a 1:72 Vulcan then go for it. I wanted to build one as the last time I did it was as a kid with no concept of things like filling and sanding. I wanted to see how she would turn out by today's standards. I'm glad I did it but never want to build another one for the rest of my days. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since I updated things here. Time has been eluding me recently but I have managed to push on a bit. 

Firstly the Starlifter is in primer

35878228712_bce61490b6_h.jpgIMAG3480 by [url=https://www.flickr.com photosarrow-10x10.png/94684899@N03/]Mark Inman[/url], on Flickr

Back on the Vulcan it was primed and in backwards order the top side is grey Gunze C335.

35878227552_593fbc8e5a_h.jpgIMAG3482 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The underside was painted first with Gunze C331 and the masked for the top side to be painted.

36007448416_043cf6bdfb_h.jpgIMAG3483 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

35878230782_d2948266b3_h.jpgIMAG3484 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Finally here is the nextarrow-10x10.png stage. I'll be trying out Tamiya curve tape for the first time to mask the green (Gunze C330). This could be interesting but I have heard good things about the curve tape.

35878222102_afca6e11f1_h.jpgIMAG3485 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

• Like 5

Great to see you back Mark.

Very neat re-scribing on the Vulcan, the panel lines really show up with some paint on.

I give the Tamiya tape a :yes:, it's great around a curvy fuselage, although I've never tried it for the actual camo demarcation.

gazza l

50 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Great to see you back Mark.

Very neat re-scribing on the Vulcan, the panel lines really show up with some paint on.

I give the Tamiya tape a :yes:, it's great around a curvy fuselage, although I've never tried it for the actual camo demarcation.

gazza l

Cheers Gary. Yes all the good and bad have popped up since paint has gone on. I have noticed a few areas that could do with more work but I'm getting sick of this build now. If I had more time I would sort them but this has been on the bench for too long. The guy I'm building it for is probably wondering if he will ever see it. I have heard the tape can curve round quite tight curves and have seen a couple of guys on Facebook use it for camo pattern. Only time will tell if I can crack it. 

10 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Looking good.

The B-1B 'bone' stuff looks awesome, by the way :coolio:

Thanks Smudge. The casting on the bone parts is exquisite. I might have to let Dave H borrow them to review for BM. Quite a pricey investment but should look the buisness when built. This could be a while off though until my modelling den is built in the next few years. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here wearrow-10x10.pnggo with another update. After a good few hours of masking I have just sprayed the green part of the top side. The Tamiya curve tape performed well for the hard edge camo scheme but does have some limitations. It will only curve to a certain point before it starts rippling. The thinner the gauge of the tape the better it is for tighter curves. It will also lift and retract itself under some conditions like a curve on a curved part of the fuselage.

Unfortunately this was the point I had got to before I needed to go back to work for a few days. Once I returned some of the curve tape had distorted from the original pattern It had already been laid to and needed to be replaced. The tape can be pressed back down and has only left 2-3 areas that will need touching up.

36376663615_6691378f9b_h.jpgIMAG3499 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Shares in Tamiya tape taking a little climb.

36376557305_0ac1dfe78f_h.jpgIMAG3541 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Apologies for the night time shots.

35540950634_878ac2be4f_h.jpgIMAG3542 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36376556615_2f19084bb2_h.jpgIMAG3543 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

35540950114_d1f8d9c91b_h.jpgIMAG3544 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36331816566_034385f8cb_h.jpgIMAG3545 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The underside I have left some of the tape for when I spray the exhausts.

35540949884_ee0373d9bd_h.jpgIMAG3546 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Its not perfect but I have tried to reproduce the pattern as best as possible.

36331815376_0a3050e21a_h.jpgIMAG3547 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Until next time.... 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Great looking work, Mark. This build thread makes a good showcase for the kit and a snapshot of your life in flux! 

Alan

Thanks Alan. I can't believe I've been working on this kit for a year now. I guess the house move and two kids under three have held me back. :rage:

1 hour ago, Sidders said:

Hi Mark, just caught up on your build thread after a while and didn't realise you've moved house. Are you still local to the Ashford area?

Great builds BTW.

M

Hi Mark

Yes I'm still local ish. We are back over in Egham now. I can't believe we have been in here for nearly 8 months now.

4 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

Hi Mark

Yes I'm still local ish. We are back over in Egham now. I can't believe we have been in here for nearly 8 months now.

Hi Mark,

Yeah, I just noticed it states your location on your posts....it's been a long week!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, snapper_city said:

I can't believe we have been in here for nearly 8 months now.

How many boxes have you got left to unpack? I generally have stuff missing for years after each move.

The camo looks great Mark, I might have to get some of this curvy tape.

Cheers,

Stuart

8 hours ago, Stu_davros said:

How many boxes have you got left to unpack? I generally have stuff missing for years after each move.

The camo looks great Mark, I might have to get some of this curvy tape.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi Stuart

The unpacking generally isn't too bad now. Everything we needed was unpacked long ago. We have a few boxes still unopened in the loft but doesn't everyone.

The curve tape is really handy. I will definitely be using it again in the future. 

Cheers

On with the show the exhausts have now been painted. Ak Interactive Xtreme metals jet exhaust and black base mix for the inside. Steel for the outside.

I'm not sure how to weather these. Most reference shots I have show them quite shiny in service but blackened once they sit about as museum pieces. 

36001622830_902d666356_h.jpgIMAG3564 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36261368051_4ff21932dc_h.jpgIMAG3566 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

36001622320_e1338dc664_h.jpgIMAG3567 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

I'm back to work on Monday to Friday for the next few weeks so not sure when I will be back on this. Stay tuned...

• Like 6