Airfix Vulcan FINISHED, Starlifter moving to KUTA X GB area

Coming along very nicely. You seen to be making rapid progress on this. Don't know about you, but I'm thoroughly enjoying my build. I quite like the fact they need so much work, expecting a real sense of achievement when it's finished.

I'm quite surprised how quickly it seems to be coming along also. The underside scribing is now complete with just a little bit on the tail cone now. Next will be fitting nose weight and painting the cockpit a very simple paint job as it will not be seen. Then I can get it all together and see where we stand on the filling etc. Fortunately I'm used to dealing with crap kits. I seem to be drawn to them. So much so I can only name two 'fell together' kits that I have built in the last 3-4 years.

• Like 2

This morning me and the wife went to check how our other WIP is coming along 12 weeks in.

28895351860_16113f6b90_h.jpgIMAG1588 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

When we got back I cracked on with chopping the exhausts off and sanding them down for gazza l's turned brass replacements.

29074923412_dd979e8fbf_h.jpgIMAG1574 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

I decided to have a tape fit to get a feel for how things will look.

28558925674_e64fc98e8a_h.jpgIMAG1575 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

No step to worry about with the wing to fuselage fit.

28558924744_42dcd83387_h.jpgIMAG1576 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

28558924094_bb21d79eb5_h.jpgIMAG1577 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The underside wing fit.

29102715261_242c6c8f93_b.jpgIMAG1583 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

29074922192_ce280f07b4_b.jpgIMAG1584 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The exhausts in place. I will have to look at reference shots how to tidy up the fairings around them.

29074921672_3b4383720e_h.jpgIMAG1579 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The underside.

28558923484_545a61bb16_h.jpgIMAG1580 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Intakes.

29074921882_3b9933bd31_h.jpgIMAG1585 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

29102714291_550ac14013_h.jpgIMAG1586 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14

The wings don't look that bad at all, not much filler needed there. It will be interesting comparing our two methods. Those exhausts look really good, massive improvement over the kit. And congratulations on the other work in progress.

Looking good! Given your other project, you might find that this is your last big build for a while...

Regards,

Adrian

This will definitely be my last start to finish build for a while. After this is done I'm hoping to tackle one or two off the shelf of doom as there is technically less work required to finish something.

The wings don't look that bad at all, not much filler needed there. It will be interesting comparing our two methods. Those exhausts look really good, massive improvement over the kit. And congratulations on the other work in progress.

We will see once glue is involved but it's not looking half as bad as I remember it to be.

Here I have added a bolt and washers as nose weight. The instructions say 30 grams. I have added 75 grams to make double sure she isn't a tail sitter.

28716357094_acd7fcba3c_h.jpgIMAG1680 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The insides have been sprayed black as I have no materials to make the rear of the engines to be viewed through the rear of the tail pipes. This seems like a better option over just blanking them off inside.

29231525902_5ee00e054b_h.jpgIMAG1681 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Here are the intake trunks after a coat of primer. It is difficult to photograph but I am quite happy with how they look.

29260694541_6ee4118b1e_h.jpgIMAG1682 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

29305916626_7c00a13ba0_h.jpgIMAG1683 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Here is the simple cockpit primed along with the front face of the compressor blades. These have been painted AK Interactive Xtreme metal Steel.

29260693741_88e4df3c4a_h.jpgIMAG1684 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

The only reason I've never started mine is the rescribe job, but I would love a Vulcan tanker built one day. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

All up in think it took around 12 hours. Quite a mission in 2-3 hour stints but we'll worth it. All good practice for my Italeri AC-119 that I will tackle one day.

Hi

Congrats on the WIP!!!!!

Vulcans looking pretty decent too! Scribings worked really well and those exhausts are very tidy.

Ben

Thanks mate. How is your little bundle of joy doing?

Nice progress. Mine has been delayed again now having received decorating orders.

A couple of my free days this week are being put to helping my dad decorate my sisters place so I feel your pain.

• Like 1

Excellent job on the old lady.If i had more room to store bigger models id do a Vulcan.Like the rescribing and the brass pipes look superb.

Pulled up a chair and watching with interest.

Richard.

Coming together Mark. I've been admiring your tools again, where did you get those clamps, they look rather useful. I stupidly used a metal G-clamp when I made my Vulcan and managed to punch a hole through the wing... won't be doing that again!

gazza l

Coming together Mark. I've been admiring your tools again, where did you get those clamps, they look rather useful. I stupidly used a metal G-clamp when I made my Vulcan and managed to punch a hole through the wing... won't be doing that again!

gazza l

They are from Models R Go Gary. They were discontinued by the manufacturer just as they became popular with modellers. Someone has been making them on a short run basis. They sold out in May/June and I had to wait until August for them to be back in stock. I'm not sure how long they will be making them for. This is my first time using them and I'm quite impressed. They hold with a good firm grip but not too tight to damage. I recommend them as they are a lot better then my previous clamps.

http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/scalextra-mini-f-clamps-set.html

Thanks mate. How is your little bundle of joy doing?

Sorry I haven't checked in for a bit.

Isabel's doing fine - can't believe she's nearly 9 months now. Time flies!!

Vulcans looking stellar! Had my tailpipes though from Gary earlier in the week and treated myself to a master refuelling probe so I now have absolutely everything to do XM597!!

Oh - except time as teaching starts next week!

I did pull it out of the stash the other day and my rescribing isn't as pap as I remembered it being. Not as tidy as yours but not utter rubbish.

Ben

Edited by badger

They are from Models R Go Gary. They were discontinued by the manufacturer just as they became popular with modellers. Someone has been making them on a short run basis. They sold out in May/June and I had to wait until August for them to be back in stock. I'm not sure how long they will be making them for. This is my first time using them and I'm quite impressed. They hold with a good firm grip but not too tight to damage. I recommend them as they are a lot better then my previous clamps.

http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/scalextra-mini-f-clamps-set.html

Thanks for the link Mark, I might go for a couple of pairs, they are in stock at £10.49 for a pair... now, is a pair two of them or like a pair of scissors, one?

gazza l

Sorry I haven't checked in for a bit.

Isabel's doing fine - can't believe she's nearly 9 months now. Time flies!!

Vulcans looking stellar! Had my tailpipes though from Gary earlier in the week and treated myself to a master refuelling probe so I now have absolutely everything to do XM597!!

Oh - except time as teaching starts next week!

I did pull it out of the stash the other day and my rescribing isn't as pap as I remembered it being. Not as tidy as yours but not utter rubbish.

Ben

Wow, 9 months already. I can't believe believe Tilly is over two sometimes. They grow up so fast. If only I could build kits as quick. I have been tempted with one of the Master refuelling probes also. We will see. Rescribing is one of those things that gets better with practice. That's why I usually start on the underside so by the time I get to the top sides I have my eye in with it.

Thanks for the link Mark, I might go for a couple of pairs, they are in stock at £10.49 for a pair... now, is a pair two of them or like a pair of scissors, one?

gazza l

There are two clamps in a pack. I bought 3 packs. A bit pricey but I look at it as a one off purchase that will last for many, many years.

Today I started out tiding my modelling draws and cupboard. These had filled up over the last couple of years with all kinds of other modelling and non modelling crap. This left my main staple diet of tools and items I use all the time in little plastic seal-able tubs. These have been moved to be more convenient from now on. One of those jobs I have wanted to do for ages but could never be bothered.

28940121183_7cae4157e3_h.jpgIMAG1722 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

29482852361_94910f6f21_h.jpgIMAG1723 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

After that while I was waiting for some styrene soup filler to dry I started on the undercarriage which you can see part 39 and its opposite are bent at the lower actuator.

29453886732_853a8428c1_b.jpgIMAG1717 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

These have been cleaned up and replaced with some 20 gauge wire. These have not been glued yet in case I need to adjust the height to allow all the wheels to tough the ground when fully together.

28940121383_f2eb55f636_b.jpgIMAG1718 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The front fuselage seam lines ahead of the intakes to the nose have been sanded out and smoothed. I have also started on the intakes with a mini dremel type device. This is a lot quicker than wet & dry wrapped round a pencil and more localised.

29482853941_078d6973bf_h.jpgIMAG1721 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

We all have to have a tidy up occasionally! Nice work on the undercarriage.

There are two clamps in a pack. I bought 3 packs. A bit pricey but I look at it as a one off purchase that will last for many, many years.

Thanks for the info... I've ordered a couple of packs (X 4 clamps).

gazza l

• Like 2