deHavilland Dragon Rapide - 1/72 Heller

I'm planning to jump in with a 1/72 deHavilland Rapide from Heller ...

It's an old boxing

2016_airline_gb_dh_rapide_00.jpg

The parts

2016_airline_gb_dh_rapide_01.jpg

The box contains decals for one civil operator, Air Couriers, and two trainers: a French Radio Navigator's School and (RAF or civil?) Air Observers Navigation School No 6.

I don't plan to use any of these, but will go for a machine operated by the Railway Air Services, a 1930's joint operation between Impeial Airways and the four regional railways groups. The fact that my initials are RAS had no influence on my choice, honest!

2016_airline_gb_dh_rapide_02.jpg

These are Arctic Decals. The presentation is excellent, with a photo of one of the aircraft on the cover and, inside, fairly comprehensive instructions on how to correct use the (laser printed) decals, and a guide for correcting the Heller kit.

I'll let you know, as I go along, what changes (if any) I make to the model.

There is one downside to my choice - it's a very old boxing, and the canopy is short-shot. I'll send a note to Heller to see if they can replace that.

p.s. I've just placed an order for some etch

• Like 5

Great stuff, theres something about the Rapide that always gets me.

Had two fly over together a few weeks ago and they looked amazing.

Lovely old kit and one that I am very fond of.

I look forward to watching your progress.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim. I must have had this one in the stash for over 20 years, but never attempted a Rapide before.

Great stuff, theres something about the Rapide that always gets me.

Had two fly over together a few weeks ago and they looked amazing.

I'm jealous, I must live in the wrong part of the world, I only ever see these at air shows Edited by Robert Stuart

Will I be rigging it?

Highly likely, the rigging diagram seems fairly simple, and there are pre drilled rigging holes ... Though they are set up for single wires, the Rapide seems to have mostly doubled wires on the wings

• Like 1

"guide for correcting the Heller kit"

Given that I have one in my stash, I have to ask. What are the issues? Are these features on the specific aircraft or is it a general inaccuracy?

It's great to see one of these being made. It looks pretty nice on the sprues.

Regards,

Adrian

Definitely in! I think I have fourteen or so Heller Rapides in the stash, with some of them being re-boxings by the likes of Aerofile or Tasman.

I hadn't heard of Arctic Decals before, but il shall check out what they do for the Rapide. I certainly need more decal options!

IIRC, one of the biggest failings with the Heller kit is the fuselage/upper wing area. It's flush on the kit, whereas on the real aircraft, the wing is lower that the fuselage top.

My first ever flight was from Duxford, in G-AIYR, so I have a massive soft spot for the '89.

• Like 1

"guide for correcting the Heller kit"

Given that I have one in my stash, I have to ask. What are the issues? Are these features on the specific aircraft or is it a general inaccuracy?

It's great to see one of these being made. It looks pretty nice on the sprues.

Regards,

Adrian

I think the kit looks like a Rapide, so I won't make all of the changes below (there's a whole philosophical mess when you start defining scale, or at least, when I start trying to define scale).

It is worth checking against other plans or drawings before saying the following are real issues, especially for a hand built or hand maintained wooden aircraft with a long production run.

Apparently ...

• The fin and rudder should be taller - maybe 2 or 3 mm
  • The engine nacels and undercarriage 'trousers' should be shorter front to back. Maybe I can move them backwards.
  • The cockpit canopy is too short, correcting this would have knock on effects for the cabin.

Any issues with the upper wing seem to come down to revising the root fillet.

HTH

edited - added bullets to bullet points (bullets/lists aren't available on the iPad)

Edited by Robert Stuart
  • Like 2

Lovely - I'll follow this with interest. It might inspire me to do something with the Aeroclub 1/144 version which I bought from John Adams at the ScotNats this year!

• Like 1

I think the kit looks like a Rapide, so I won't make all of the changes below (there's a whole philosophical mess when you start defining scale, or at least, when I start trying to define scale).

It is worth checking against other plans or drawings before saying the following are real issues, especially for a hand built or hand maintained wooden aircraft with a long production run.

Apparently ...

• The fin and rudder should be taller - maybe 2 or 3 mm
  • The engine nacels and undercarriage 'trousers' should be shorter front to back. Maybe I can move them backwards.
  • The cockpit canopy is too short, correcting this would have knock on effects for the cabin.

Any issues with the upper wing seem to come down to revising the root fillet.

HTH

edited - added bullets to bullet points (bullets/lists aren't available on the iPad

Hmmm.

Well,it sure as shishkebab look like a Rapide when built(done two 'Eller's and have an Airfix one in th'stash).

The biggest gotcha is the upper wing/fuselage joint.Needs a bit of faff and fettle to get it right and strong(sits a bit low too IIRC).

Other than that it's just about the only game in town for a 1/72nd Rapide apart from Tasman's kit(re-boxed,re-decalled Heller)

and Veeday's short run jobbie from the late '70's

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...