The Shelf of Doom Datsun - Fujimi 280ZX

Hi everyone,

While work commences at a geological pace on the McLaren Formula 1 car, I have decided to clear some space on my shelf (actually a clear plastic bin) of doom. I was given this old, started Fujimi Datsun 280ZX for free and used it as a test mule for a while. It did not have wheels or tires, so I never had the intention of building it into a finished model. I also recently bought a Tamiya 956 kit that also came with a started chassis, engine, and 4 wheels and tires. I will be using these wheels on the Datsun and maybe some more parts if I can find a use for them. I also have a Testor's Porsche 911 kit with no body, so perhaps I can strip some parts for the Datsun from it as well.

I will finish this as a lightly modified 280 with some cleaning of the car's lines. It will be curbside. I don't intend to make it an overly complex or perfectly finished car, I just want to finish something for once!

RRWmb1C.jpg

The donors.

53zEvOB.jpg

The body. Not good! I used lacquer thinners to strip some paint and decals.

T2cFi8Y.jpg

First step is to remove those side marker lights and the Datsun badge on the hood.

goUnu4n.jpg

Here is the other fender with the light removed and sanded. It's amazing what a difference that makes!

Pn17eQF.jpg

After the thinner, but before sanding. I HATE that rear bumper more than anything. It's gotta go!

avYkEH8.jpg

My dear friend Mr. Razor Saw did the dirty work and got rid of that awful bumper. It cracked the body slightly but it shouldn't be noticeable. The fender flares will have to be sanded to help it blend.

Dh98jeU.jpg

My original plan was to build a diffuser, but I came to my senses and realized that'd be hideous. So instead I scratched a simple new rear bumper flush with the body. I'm very pleased with it and the fit wasn't too bad at all. The bits around it are the now dead bumper it came with.

Xqp1smn.jpg

Inside with some support pieces of card. Somehow the chassis will be mounted around there.

F1X5dmx.jpg

Here are those wheels, I still need to paint them. This is how I'm imagining they'll sit, they'll slightly bigger than I'd like, but it's not a dealbreaker. I want to build a clean car, not a super stanced/crazy modified one.

I am still not sure what to do for the paintwork or the front end. I know I will not be using the stock front bumper, it's another piece I am not a fan of. If anyone has ideas, tips, or suggestions I'll be very grateful to hear them!

Thanks for looking,

Jake

• Like 2

Hi Jake

Good recovery work so far. I'd be tempted to use Milliput to build up the leading edges of the rear bumper and blend them into the flared wheel arch, rather than reduce the arches. Those Porsche wheels look quite sizeable!

As for the front bumper, I'd simply take off the 'bumper stops' and try to create a smoother line on the front. Haven't built this kit, so not sure how "do-able" that is.

For paint, I would maybe try to find a copper-bronze metallic paint. I think that would look pretty spectacular (just my opinion, though, and I know it wouldn't be the easiest of paint jobs)

HTH

Kev

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always kind of felt that the 280 almost looked good in that late 70's way...

I quite like the way you chopped the tail end back. Just getting rid of that ugly safety bumper would smooth out the whole front end nicely.

I can see something very pretty coming of this.

Oh, Candy Midnight Blue over Gold base.

Smooooth man! :coolio:

• Like 1

Oh, Candy Midnight Blue over Gold base.

Smooooth man! :coolio:

Hmmm - that's a great idea for the colour. Might have to 'adopt' that for one of my builds [when I finally get round to doing some builds, that is! :winkgrin: ]

Kev