XF-5D lightning (p-38) any ideas on colours etc

brewerjerry

Hi

Thinking of this as a future subject/conversion, 42-12975, two crew, pr mod, with additional cameras in the tail booms

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1251083663/So+what+the+heck+was+an+XF-5D+anyway

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/4559124897

looking for any links to additional info, colours, photos or threads on the aircraft

( i seem unable to join network 54, so cant post there )

thanks

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

The model shows Haze as intended, or at least closer to it than in the linked photo. I think what you are seeing in the link is the very dark undercoat of Haze but incorrectly applied as a conventional paint rather than having the light uppercoat correctly sprayed over the top in a progressive manner. However, I'd rather not say more without consulting reference works (or the internet) for fear of being over-precise, and wrong!

Hi Jerry,

There aren't many good photos of this aircraft - I've got four, and three of them are backlit. That said, I suspect the aircraft is in the original Dark OD and Neutral Gray. The aircraft seems to show the original paint application everywhere except the modified nose.

If the aircraft was repainted in Synthetic Haze Paint, I would have expected the entire aircraft to look fresh - not just the nose. The photos are clear enough to prove that we aren't looking at Cabot Haze Paint or one of the similar formulas.

Could be wrong, and I've seen field applications of Synthetic Haze that resembled the nose of the XF-5D, but the rest of the aircraft doesn't seem to match.

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Jerry,

Today at the National Archives I came across two boxes on the XF-5D conversion. My cart is full, but you piqued my interest, so I'll try to have a look in two weeks (after the US IPMS Nats). One folder has pix of other conversions on other aircraft, so we may get lucky on the XF-5D also.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find any of the correspondence folders. In a foolish quirk, the Archives interns inserted spaces in all the designations (X F - 5 D) in their automated finding aid, making it difficult to track these things down.

Anyway, here's hoping an answer pops out soon.

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Jerry,

Today at the National Archives I came across two boxes on the XF-5D conversion. My cart is full, but you piqued my interest, so I'll try to have a look in two weeks (after the US IPMS Nats). One folder has pix of other conversions on other aircraft, so we may get lucky on the XF-5D also.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find any of the correspondence folders. In a foolish quirk, the Archives interns inserted spaces in all the designations (X F - 5 D) in their automated finding aid, making it difficult to track these things down.

Anyway, here's hoping an answer pops out soon.

Cheers,

Dana

hi Dana,

Many thanks for the replies, I have always wanted to visit the NA, is it at college park ?

Maybe one day i will be able to:)

Anything you find would be of great interest, Do you know if the 'blister' on the starboard side of bobbie, is also on the port side ? The photos I have seen on the internet are not clear enough for me to make this out.

Hope you enjoy the nats, somewhere else one day i hope to see :)

Cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Hi Jerry,

My shots are all too dark to tell if the blister is on both sides - perhaps we'll get an answer and some new photos (as when as an explanation of what the blister covers).

Yes, most of the material is at College Park, though today I was back at the original building on Pennsylvania Ave for the first time in years. A very nice reading room, but stressed out whenever there are more than a few researchers.

I always enjoy the Nats, even though I can't find time to build anymore. Hope you get to do the US Nats and the Archives before too long!

Cheers,

Dana