Junkers F.13W South American Sales tour victim

The Junkers F13 was based on the experiences of the Junkers J12. The outside appearance of both aircraft is very similar, but the F 13 or J 13, as it was called during its development, got a larger fuselage and a complete new wing design. Instead of the three passengers of the J12 design, the J13 was able to accommodate up to 4 passengers plus two pilots. Between January 1919 and June 1919 about 9000 developmental hours were invested into the project. On June 25, 1919 Junkers pilot Emil Monz flew the first F 13. The first F13 was s/n 533 and it was named "Annelise" after Hugo Junkers daughter Annelise Junkers. A second aircraft (s/n 531) became available three weeks later and was used for type certification in July 1919. The F 13 design of Reuter was fully satisfying the demands. It became the world's first all metal airliner and it seems to be the first aircraft, which was fully designed as a passenger aircraft.

About the aircraft modeled:

In 1924 Junkers sent two F 13 W floatplanes, D 217 (Flamingo, s/n 637) and D­218 (Kauz, s/n 638) on a South America Sales Tour. D 217 crashed during this tour, killing a son of Hugo Junkers.

Crew was performing some flights in South America to promote the sale of the Junkers F.13 to local operators. Aircraft left Albina Airport, in Suriname, bound to Macapá, in Brazil. Just after passing the border between French Guyana and Brazil, crew encountered very bad weather conditions and elected to make an emergency landing on the Oyapock River, off Oiapoque, State of Amapá. In unknown circumstances, aircraft crashed into the river and was damaged beyond repair. While the pilot Drewsky was injured, the mechanic Thill, Hugo Junkers son was killed.

I memory of Thill, I have decided to build D 217

image_zpsklizeiry.jpeg

image_zpsqisufpvm.jpeg

image_zpsenbg6r1a.jpeg

image_zpsaueiox7t.jpeg

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

I'm on board! :) Poor Hugo losing a son in one of his own designs like that :(

I have the 'Aero Oy' boxing of this. It's been close to the bottom of the stash for ages and I've not known what to do with it :hmmm:

Should I??....

:popcorn:

Great back story and good choice

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

looking forward to follow your build !

do you know what is the difference between the F13W and F13 ? the floats ? engine ?

cheers, Pabbi

Oh struth, I had no idea there was an exam paper at the end of this group build, the blooming hosts kept that one quiet !

Sorry Pabbi, no but very happy to learn, I had no idea there was so much to know about this aircraft

Should be good Pat :popcorn:.Cliff

Thanks Cliff

I hope I don't let you down

I'm on board! :) Poor Hugo losing a son in one of his own designs like that :(

I have the 'Aero Oy' boxing of this. It's been close to the bottom of the stash for ages and I've not known what to do with it :hmmm:

Should I??....

:popcorn:

Great back story and good choice

Best regards

Tony

Well Tony, I have to confess, poor Pabbi was talked / persuaded / bullied into building an F13, by someone.......

No pressure but it would be great to see a third one built.......and you said yourself you don't know when you will have a reason to build it !

Let's face it compared to your current Laggs build, it will feel like you've been on holiday ; )

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

So less talk and more building Pat! :D

have you made a start yet????

Sorry TT

Got to finish my ILM2 first in the Great patriotic War GB first, I have too many "stalled builds" on the shelf of doom as it is, I can't add another one !

However, I consider my bottom properly kicked boss, so as you rightly say I better get my finger out : )

Cheers Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat, many thanks for the well wishes on my LaGG 3 WIP :thumbsup2:.

I'm still bedbound so I've been doing a bit of aviation research to pass the time. I found out that a 1:1 F-13 has been built, with the intention to fly it :o!

I have shared this with Pabbi too :)

Here is their project:

I hope I can get back to the models soon. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the F-13, or a Dragon Rapide I wanted to build, in for the Airliners GB, but if not I'll do them as normal WIP :).

I'm now searching for information on an F-13 in service in Spain in 1936.

I hope you get a bit of inspiration from the video; note the brown leather padding around the cockpit openings.

Best regards

Tony