1/72 Revell M60a3

Hi,

this is my first time I publish the pictures of a finished model on this forum,

so I would be happy to get some advice how to make the pictures properly as those are the first ones I ever made like that. :newb:

So to start:

The kit is the last re-release of the Revell kit of the M60a3.

The fit of the kit was pretty good except the tracks and running gear which was pretty hard to assemble as the instructions are not clear IMHO at some parts.

Aswell is are the painting scheme instructions a bit of a inconsistent as the the camouflage in one is neat and tidy painting in three different greys as the other is made out of four types of criss-crossed lines and dots which is a very hard to see clearly what to paint where.

I built a M60a3 which took part in REFORGER`85 because I liked the the orange identification marks and I had this photo of it (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:M60A3_Panzer.jpg) and I like building vehicles I have references pictures of (ok; I just favour building them;I don`t exclusively do so).

I haven`t weathered it yet and I also intend to build a little diorama/vignette for it.

So, here are the pics (finally :spam: )

28214254480_e55bfcec74_k.jpgIMG_0187 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

28419642201_e1ec0a7725_k.jpgIMG_0188 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

28419649871_71fc69a037_k.jpgIMG_0189 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

28419657811_23edacf4fb_k.jpgIMG_0190 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

28497500475_58dae140ec_k.jpgIMG_0195 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

Comparsion to its predecessor, a M48 made from the Italeri/esci kit ...

28419674741_5e7dd7a5ec_k.jpgIMG_0196 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

... and an 1/72 esci/italeri figure.

BTW: I think I messed up a bit with the decals IMHO

Edited by Levin
  • Like 10

Looks pretty damned good to me. :thumbsup:

Mebbe avoid using raw metallics in future though, they're a bit too bright for a Braille build IMHO.....If you have access to Klear, floating decals into a small pool eliminates silvering completely and really helps to blend them in. :pipe:

Revell's L&L track instructions are notorious.....If they've ever got it right I've not noticed because I long ago learned to ignore 'em completely! :winkgrin:

PS - You can use a Revell M-60 kit to upgrade the shonky running gear on the Italeri M-48. :nerd:

• Like 1

Thanks,

yeah,

at first: you`re right `bout the metallics, maybe I`lll do a darker drybrush on the "ropes (?)/steal ropes (?)"

at second: sadly there seems to be an alternative to future/klear in germany but it seems to be nowhere aviable even near to me :fraidnot:

to the tracks:

I heard of the upgrade/exchange but I think it is kind of a waste of such agood kit (M60) then IMHO and I build the M48 a very (not really) long time ago

the old revell instructions (black and white) where always pretty vague on the "smaller bits I think; hope that changed with the new type ones :S

I wasn't suggesting you upgrade the M-48 you have already built, it looks fine, just mentioning the option for future reference. :coolio:

It actually only works out slightly more expensive to use a Revell M-60 to upgrade the Italeri M-48 than it is to use the (not 100% user friendly) OKB M-48 running gear upgrade set, which I used for my own (badly stalled) M48A3:

Patton%20-%2005_zpsk5gfn07q.jpg

• Like 1

It actually only works out slightly more expensive to use a Revell M-60 to upgrade the Italeri M-48 than it is to use the (not 100% user friendly) OKB M-48 running gear upgrade set, which I used for my own (badly stalled) M48A3:

Patton%20-%2005_zpsk5gfn07q.jpg

I did this for my M48A3 as I had a badly damaged part built M60 which wasn't much use for anything else.

Good job on the Merdec cameo. Just getting my M60A3 ready to spray and was cross referencing FS numbers to my paint collection last night!!

• Like 1

I did this for my M48A3 as I had a badly damaged part built M60 which wasn't much use for anything else.

Good job on the Merdec cameo. Just getting my M60A3 ready to spray and was cross referencing FS numbers to my paint collection last night!!

Thanks

It actually was pretty stressing to search for colorprofiles as i was somehow convinced that it was MERDC summer instead of winter until i asked for help here

Then it went pretty quick with blu-tac and a small brush

Edited by Levin

Cool tip - thanks!

What makes it a bit more problematic is that mine is an older boxing which didn't offer a Merdec option.

Seriously contemplating the summer scheme to be a bit different

• Like 1

Cool tip - thanks!

What makes it a bit more problematic is that mine is an older boxing which didn't offer a Merdec option.

Seriously contemplating the summer scheme to be a bit different

No problem;

actually I was pretty stubborn at the camo scheme as the instructions showed exactly the winter colors but i believed the whole time it was summer; so:

My fault

What boxing have you?

that with the egyptian one, the dozer or the boxing with ERA

regards

Levin

Hi Levin

The built one is the boxing with the egyptian scheme but I also have the era one in the stash as well as the modeltrans conversion for an initial m60 and a blackdog conversion for the magach 6.

Suffice to say I like the m60!!!

If my cammo comes out half as well as yours I'll be very happy!

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Hi Levin

The built one is the boxing with the egyptian scheme but I also have the era one in the stash as well as the modeltrans conversion for an initial m60 and a blackdog conversion for the magach 6.

Suffice to say I like the m60!!!

If my cammo comes out half as well as yours I'll be very happy!

Good luck

Regards Levin