Glenn Martin Maryland +++FINISHED+++

I got a set of transfers from Print Scale which has markings for two FAA Marylands, both of 771 squadron. One AR720 was the one that spotted the Bismark breaking out, so this is the one I will be doing. I've two Azur Marylands, both in Free French guise but that just means spare transfers. I've also picked up a set of Maskol masks. So here's the raw materials

image_zpszijbrkjm.jpeg

and the intended markings

image_zpsgz0nxj0h.jpeg

Obligatory sprue shots

image_zpsyjo8vj64.jpeg

Some resin

image_zpsh7xijsw9.jpeg

And clear transparencies

image_zpsu9njlrbk.jpeg

Detail is engraved and quite fine.

image_zpsxfooaqjh.jpeg

Chocks away and ready for take off.

Edited by 825
  • Like 12

Got quite a bit done. Most things fitted really well with minimal fettling. The plastic is quite hard but the resin soft. The resin can be trimmed with scalpel and light sanding..

image_zpsi2irzpeo.jpeg

image_zpsaok7eouu.jpeg

Only part so far that's needed filler is the engine nacelles and I used a bit of Perfect Plastic Putty to close things up. There are few bits to be finished off by sanding rather than smoothing so I'm leaving it to harden overnight. It looks not nearly as bad in the flesh.

image_zpsxt45fqf7.jpeg

You can see here the seam between the wing and the nacelle needed filling

image_zpsegfog5jh.jpeg

Only problem is I can't find the cockpit interior, which was finished and ready to install. Too late to look for it tonight, job for tomorrow.

• Like 7

Chris, thanks for the great photos. The interior is pretty cramped. The cockpit has turned up. I found it in the bin, I must have chucked it out when clearing up. It's all safe and sound apart from a loose control yoke. It was covered in curry and needed a bit of a clean.

image_zpsglsp2a6u.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

825, you have a gift for doing kits I'd like to build someday.

Thanks Procopius, from a master such as yourself, these words are praise indeed. Apart from my cockpit in the bin incident, I've enjoyed building the Maryland so far. Including the resin which is quite easy to work with. Let's hope the masking goes OK, there is a fair amount of windows on the Maryland (and its younger but bigger brother the Baltimore). I am hopeful I'll be at the paint stage by the end of the day.

• Like 2

It looks like a nice kit, I'll be following along. I see this machine was based at NAS Twatt, where the anti-invasion plan was codenamed Chastity Belt.

Commander Rotherham was a rather resourceful chap, apparently he taught himself to fly later in the war by commandeering a spare Stringbag.

• Like 1

Chris, thanks for the great photos. The interior is pretty cramped. The cockpit has turned up. I found it in the bin, I must have chucked it out when clearing up. It's all safe and sound apart from a loose control yoke. It was covered in curry and needed a bit of a clean.

image_zpsglsp2a6u.jpeg

Is Curry a good weathering medium for cockpits? We need to know!

Selwyn

• Like 2

Ooh!

I have one of these squirreled away.

Allow me to observe your progress. It already looks better than I thought it might.

Chris' pix should be really useful as well.

Snab for ref file...

Please proceed.

Put some of Mr Eduard's rather nice cloth seat belts on. The instructions suggested using fine tweezers but I found the tip of a scalpel worked fine. Secured with a tiny smear of Gator Grip applied with a cocktail stick.

image_zpsnclrxmlv.jpeg

I've tidied a lot of things up and joined the fuselage together, clipping in the cockpit and tail wheel. Guess what will be knocked off before the end of the build? The fuselage edges did need a little rubbing down. There is a small raised edge on parts which neede trimmed off and the cockpit floor needed a few swipes with a sanding stick before the front end fitted without a space. The photos are not great but show progress to the end of the day.

image_zpshedbvi2b.jpeg

image_zpsuca1nsiq.jpeg

Probably a bit ambitious to think that I would be ready to slap on paint by now but things are tumbling along. The wing to fuselage joint is a butt join and I think a spar will be needed. I didn't want to handle the fuselage until it had thoroughly dried so have left attacking it with a drill for 24 hours or so. Nothing can be seen inside so need for anything prototypical. Either some metal rod or a hefty piece of plastic tubing. Will have a look see what's near the top of the pile.

Edited by 825
  • Like 5

Is Curry a good weathering medium for cockpits? We need to know!

Selwyn

Had a little too much reddish brown shading and I'm not sure a combination of tandoori chicken and chicken korma are truly the correct fragrance for 1942 NAS Twatt, so decided to wash it all off. Curry weathering is no longer on my must do list.

• Like 3

No time this week unfortunately, so just let the glue dry and start sanding off the seam. Which looks a lot worse than it is. Much of it is extruded plastic for the glue and join.

image_zpshsdmyctd.jpeg

Should have time later in the week, and hopefully get a bit done before holiday catches up with me. It is going together nicely, just a pity so busy. Mind you it's not all been work, been to the theatre one night and sat at dinner beside an England rugby squad player at a pre-season dinner on Friday.

• Like 7

Had a little too much reddish brown shading and I'm not sure a combination of tandoori chicken and chicken korma are truly the correct fragrance for 1942 NAS Twatt, so decided to wash it all off. Curry weathering is no longer on my must do list.

Actually the correct fragrance for RAS Twatt at the time is one of open sewers, The station has a lot of problems with sanitary arrangements when it first opened! All this is detailed in Hank Rotherham's auto-biography (he was the observer on the Bismark mission)

Martin

• Like 5

The kit's wings are a butt join and I think that might be a bit on the weak side so I've made a couple of spars. Not prototypical but they will be out of sight and should do the trick. Slathers rod for the rear and plastic tubing for the front. I had to get the power drill out to drill the hole. Felt more than a bit odd but mini drills don't do 3/16 inch holes. I'll let them set before putting the wings on.

image_zpsanyqhspq.jpeg

The seams have been sanded down and polished. They feel smooth and pass the scalpel test yet still look as if the're not right. Hopefully they'll disappear under a coat of paint.

I said it would happen

image_zps1vouphno.jpeg

At least it's a clean break and the tail wheel didn't get lost to the carpet monster.

Edited by 825
  • Like 4

Actually the correct fragrance for RAS Twatt at the time is one of open sewers, The station has a lot of problems with sanitary arrangements when it first opened! All this is detailed in Hank Rotherham's auto-biography (he was the observer on the Bismark mission)

And an excellent read it is too: G A Rotherham: It's Really Quite Safe (Hangar Books, Ontario)

• Like 2

Wings and empanage on. Need some tape to keep them straight while drying. The wing underside joint is pretty good and will just need a light sand. There is a bit of a gap on the upper wing joint. As there ever was! However it should fill OK with a generous smear of Perfect Putty. Sorry about the messy photos, I'm running out of space.

image_zpsvdqjpgms.jpeg

image_zpsvdqjpgms.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice work on the spars -- I'm always nervous I'll drill at a wrong angle and the wings will look wonky (so I never do it).

I get nervous as well, but it's one of those things to take a deep breath and go for. I use plastic rod and tube as it will take the cement (I use Tamiya Extra Thin these days). The spars are chosen so they are not an exact tight fit but so there is a little bit of room to move the wings back and forward a little. I measure the first hole in one side. If you can use a panel line as data point it helps, then drill a pilot hole with a very small drill in the vertical centre. Then slowly enlarge using ever larger drills until your tube/rod fits into the hole snugly. Drill another hole to the rear so that some plastic rod will fit into the wing. Then repeat on the other side,checking things line up. Once the holes are drilled push your spars through and flood the joints with cement and leave. If they are at too much of an angle re-drill or ream out the hole. Leave to harden off.

You then apply cement to the wing root and let it become tacky, give a wash of cement over the spars and thread the wing on. Gently move the wing up,to the root, when about a 1/4 inch out, apply some more cement to the spars to wick into the wing. Then slowly push up to the root adjusting as you go until the joint is aligned. Apply more cement this time to the joints and if there are any gaps pop the brush inside.

Then repeat on the other wing, and check the final alignment. And adjust as necessary. They may need taping up. This works best when the wing is hollow as you don't need to worry too much about length but more importantly you have the flexibility to wriggle the wings around till you get a perfect fit. A solid wing or one with a facing end will need more precision and accuracy and I would be less willing to dive in.

It sounds complicated but is actually straightforward.

• Like 4