A Hasegawa Beaufighter Mk.VIC, 1/72

So another one with a background story: Max Guedj was a French Jew born in Tunisia, a civil amateur pilot before the WWII. He joined RAF using a "nome de guerre" Maurice (to protect his Jewish relatives in France) and in 1942 he was a member of No. 248 Squadron, Coastal Command, with Beaufighter Mk.VIC’s. On March 10, 1943 he shot down a Ju-88 over Bay of Biscay but his Beaufighter was hit by the Ju’s rear gunner. With a help from his navigator Charles Corder he managed to belly land at Predannack base - they both were awarded DSO and a Croix de Liberation. Guedj was killed in action in January 1945 while flying his Mosquito as a No. 143 Squadron leader, Corder died in 2005 aged 87 - BTW he named his son Maurice as a tribute to his friend and pilot (they completed more than 70 missions together).

The Hasegawa model is probably worse than the new Airfix one but it has been in my pile of kits for ages so I gave it a go. Almost from the box, just the Eduard Zoom and Marabu PE landing lights were added. Decals are from different sources, Tamiya and Gunze paint mixes. I discussed this particular plane on different boards: hence no wing guns (extra fuel tanks were installed) and no squadron codes. There is just one photo of this very plane taken from a distance, in that photo the plane is burning on the Predannack runway.

My photos have been made in a hurry, sorry for the quality. I may try better ones later.

BBfront_zpsxmkkghed.jpg

BBport_zpstpleyqtu.jpg

BBupp_zpsc1rij56j.jpg

BBbottom_zpsidq41tjw.jpg

• Like 44

Very nice Marcel. I have read of the Beaufighters of 248 sqn in "Bloody Biscay" & Max Guedj in Clostermann's "Flames in the Sky" so I am liking your Beaufighter very much. Who cannot like a Beaufighter in Coastal colours? :)

Steve.

Very nice write up and presentation. While I realize that there are some nuances to taking and displaying better photos I think the ones you used are just right. I may emulate your build here in the future.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...