Boeing 717 - Finished

• 2 weeks later...

I have started on the paint but run into problems. My only previous experience of a high gloss white paint job was a 1/72 Tu160. This massive job I did fairly successfully with Games Workshop spray cans - more than one!

I was recommended a particular sort of paint and told thin it with GP thinner (lacquer thinner, a mixture of ketones, amyl solvents and whatever hydrocarbons they can get cheap). Unfortunately I don't think it reacted well with the Tamiya undercoat and it wouldn't dry. I consulted my paint expert and ended up washing a lot of it off and doing several light re-coats with the same white paint thinned with Tamiya X-20. This at least dried quickly but despite the apparent thickness of the paint it has very poor covering power.

_IMAG0188_zpsmsfabbuz.jpg

You can see the areas of grey undercoat on the fuselage forward of the engine and on the engine itself.

As my personal deadline is very close due to travel commitments I have to decide whether to temporarily abandon this one or do a rush job and maybe hand paint those areas. It will get finished as I need it for a display model of our 717 conversion - it's a matter of when.

• Like 1

I have got the white to "good enough" as distinct from good. So it is now masked up for the red tail. A mix of PMA, Tamiya and Shuretape. I will cover the rest with something as red is very likely to drift over the white. it will be interesting to see if the white roo on the tail ends up white or pink.

IMG_1177_zpsz2lyovrj.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

. it will be interesting to see if the white roo on the tail ends up white or pink.

Very common unfortunately, I find 2 over the top of each other works well

Really looking good though Ed

Keep on keeping on as the Ad says

Edited by Graeme H

The paint problems continue. Although my masking and mask removal was quite gentle it still managed to pull off a few large chunks of white paint. However the paint is not all bad - it actually brushes quite well if thinned appropriately. I was able to repair most of the problems. It needs a few touch-ups but we are ready to put some decals on.

717 paint

Nice photo Ray but mine will have to be in the early scheme. I'll do one of those with the 'production' kit - if I can face another airliner again..........!

• Like 2

As the deadline looms I am putting in a last effort. Decalling started, touch-ups done, undercarriage painted, aerials (from the Fly kit) added, it's all go.

One difference is the flap hinges which have vortex generators on their after edges. Modified the DC-9 ones and cast up some.

IMG_1181

The middle one is a reject but others are okay.

• Like 1

Great job Ed. Looks really good. Well done ,thanks for the wip and final result !

Just had a look at your gallery shots Ed, boy those engines sure look big!

I am sure they are the right size but after looking at the C-9B I build last year they are so much bigger. I see these aircraft out the office window on approach to Canberra airport a few times a day and did not really take note how big the engines were.

I will have to drag my Contrails kit out of the stash and check out the engines. i am waiting for the current scheme decals to surface as well. I know different conversion sets supply different sized engines.

I saw your note about Red Roo in the gallery. Will they be releasing a conversion for the Fly kit some time?

50 minutes ago, TrojanThunder said:

I saw your note about Red Roo in the gallery. Will they be releasing a conversion for the Fly kit some time?

Yes indeed - that was one of the incentives to do the model, sort of a proof-of-concept. We hope to have the Tassie Devil markings.

The engines are scaled from Qantas drawings - note the C-9B has skinny P%W engines and that there's a difference between BR700 and 715 engines.

• Like 1

Yes the roos are a bit problematic. Not only are they (very) light pink over red but I had to shorten the tails and disarticulate their legs to get them to fit. A bit of touch-up paint was needed. The production ones will fit!!!!

• Like 1

Good grief Ed, it's a wonder you didn't get them looking like the new caricature of a roo with that amount of work.

Are the production ones going to be the later ones after those on your kit, but not the latest? which hasn't been put on anything except an A330 so far, and are due to disfigure the 787-9's next year

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...