Revell 1:35 Scale Leopard 2 A5 Tank

Ready for the spraying of the turret. I've put a plastic protective cover over the lower section so I can match the pattern of the body on to the turret.

Leopard25_zps5ndbhoih

Leopard27_zpsiw37lltf

Leopard28_zps6dxafbpq

Leopard30_zpszos4vcaw

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 2

Nice work Kevin.

Neat idea with the clear plastic masking. Those stowage bins look 100% better with mesh instead of Revell's pretty lame solid moulding... I can't see why they didn't do as Tamiya and mould the frame and put a piece of plastic mesh in with the kit...

Matt

• Like 1

You don't realise how massive that turret is until you see it from above. I think the lack of paint also highlights the size :)

Very true mike. I remember building an airfix tank many many moons ago and the turret was quite small compared to the body. This is one of the first tank kits I have built for about 40 years but I am certainly thinking of getting another (probably a British one in this scale) as the level of detail is far superior to what I had expected and I am getting used to using an airbrush now.

Nice work Kevin.

Neat idea with the clear plastic masking. Those stowage bins look 100% better with mesh instead of Revell's pretty lame solid moulding... I can't see why they didn't do as Tamiya and mould the frame and put a piece of plastic mesh in with the kit...

Matt

Thanks Matt. I totally agree with you about the mesh. It took me longer to design and make the frame for it then it did to build the turret. I looked at using the original parts and cut out the solid mesh part, but the frame would have looked out of scale.

Almost but not quite there. Turret done and now just the aerials and decals to apply and some more weathering. Then it will be back to the transporter to add this build.

My next post will probably be in the RFI forum but below are a few pictures as a teaser.

Many thanks to everyone who followed this build and for the advice and tips given as I was building this. I now realise the huge benefit of belonging to the group and daring to put my work on show. I am always humbled by the comments given from others who I consider to be far more skillful than myself.

Again, I salute you all.

Cheers :thumbsup2:

Leopard31_zpsnzyzl5k6

Leopard32_zpsnqdfqubm

Leopard33_zpsysxnltpa

Leopard35_zpsmhkamkg7

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 2

Ooohhh thats nice, love the paint scheme, it has turned out really well.

One point, I dont think the spare track links on the front would be silver, either sprayed the same camouflage or some preserving paint, ie black, because silver is a big "giveaway" if you are all cammed up in a woodline avoiding death!!

I spent my army career on Challengers both 1 & 2, ours were on the back but were either very well soiled or if lucky new ones with black tar like preservation paint.

Hope you dont mind my comment.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Ooohhh thats nice, love the paint scheme, it has turned out really well.

One point, I dont think the spare track links on the front would be silver, either sprayed the same camouflage or some preserving paint, ie black, because silver is a big "giveaway" if you are all cammed up in a woodline avoiding death!!

I spent my army career on Challengers both 1 & 2, ours were on the back but were either very well soiled or if lucky new ones with black tar like preservation paint.

Hope you dont mind my comment.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick. Really appreciate the advice and tips. It was something that bothered me about the bright parts of the kit (spare tracks and the tools carried) but due to my lack of real life knowledge about modern military tanks and transport I decided to leave it as per the instructions. Now I have heard from someone who really knows their stuff I will definately repaint these items. There is only so much you can find on the Internet but it is far better to hear it from someone who really knows.

I used to love the Chieftain and Challenger tanks on TV when I was a younger. They looked so forward for their time and that long barrel on the Chieftain was something else.

I must admit to being envious that you spent time with the Challenger but I'm sure it wasn't all fun. About 30 years ago I went to Pegusus Bridge in France (before they replaced the bridge, etc) and saw the old Centaur tank there but that was the last time I actually managed to get up close to the real thing.

I'm definately looking at getting either the Chieftain or Challenger tank kit next I think (but I will keep that quiet from the wife as my birthday is a long way off).

Thanks again Nick, appreciate it.

Kevin

• Like 1

This project is now finished and the finished pictures can be found in the RFI forum here

The very last part will be when the Leopard is put onto the Faun Transporter. Pictures will appear in the RFI forum too and I will post a notice on here when that is done.

Thank you to everyone that commented on this build and for all the encouragement and advice given. Trust me, it was not wasted.