1-72 Airfix-It Concorde plus Extras

Yeah, that's more like it!

Looking at your work I'm thinking about taking another oath besides "not buying new kits for the next three years" - blow the dust and complete mine in upcoming KUTA

• Like 1

Do this Pin! It is quite enjoying not to work with pliers and magnifiers but with "proper" tools ;-)

C18_zpsifmj5xom.jpg

Here you can estimate the difference between before, now and some day in the future:

C19_zpsizmgknnf.jpg

And from the side:

C20_zpsqqdb6wct.jpg

My idea was to work with a fully developed plan on this conversion but it showed that either I am too stupid or not "professional" enough. Maybe it is simply easier to do this butchery without too much thinking and just work one step at a time. That said I have still no solutions for some areas up till now but meanwhile I am confident enough that I will solve the problems by and by. Just start to wonder how quickly that will be...

Rene

• Like 1

Ha! Ha! You know when it's a bad model when the industrial power tools come out.

They are nice reference photos you took at the museum. It must have been depressing seeing the correct shapes and outlines on the real aircraft and then looking at what "shapes" the plastic kit has.

I take my hat off to you though, this is beyond my ability and patience level to even think about attempting.

Keep up the good work.

Jeff

• Like 1

I knew that the actual shapes would be quite different from what Airfix and Heller kitted here Jeff - so it was not depressing to see the real shapes. But it became quite obvious that nobody at those companies found it neccessary to take a look at the real thing. I wonder if the people in charge work fro TrumpyBoss now :devil:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, Kirk said:

You're taking a cast of the completed belly though aren't you Rene?

That way you can sell copies to all us "loft insulators" who lack the courage or bravery to tackle it for ourselves.

Might offset the cost of filler a little!!

Kirk

I second the motion from the honorable delegate!

• Like 2

Thanks! I was really considering doing a cast should the whole belly treatment turn out OK. But at the moment my man cave is closed :-( Several "real life" things got in the way - including a two week trip starting this weekend. What is worse: I managed to misplace the ... err wait a second: I obviously forgot an update:

I wondered how to get the new belly shape I need and took the following route so far:

The U/C doors on the "square" section were glued shut and filler was applied. As the door position is incorrect anything could be sanded over. Fit was horrible so lots of Revell filler was applied in multiple thin layers to build up. But the Concorde plastic is so soft that even this approach made part unusable in the end:

C21_zpsyan6t34n.jpg

So for filling and sanding better use Milliput or the like...

The round section of the belly is the other problem. I tried to copy it from the spine by laminating thin sheet styrene over the spine like this:

C22_zpsebenpb85.jpg

Not as nice as I hoped but after lots of sanding... Well - if only I knew where I put this laminated thing... I have not a carpet monter but an entire pack of those infamous beasts...

I will continue the build but have litte hope to meet the timeline.

Rene

• Like 4

• 2 months later...