Wingnut Wings from Weta

Folkbox1

Looks like you can now buy your favourite WNW kits from Weta.

The SE5a works out at £70.47 (inc £10.40 standard postage) Cheaper than listed on Hannants at the moment (£99.99). Although it doesn't state so I think VAT must be included thererfore no VAT payment to Parcel Force or their mugging fee

Go to the WNW, click on the model you want to buy and it takes you to Weta.

Sold out kits have not reappeared :-(

I have already put a post up in the chat section about this. Someone bought one and replied to the thread that VAT is added at the end which adds another 20% onto the final price so that would be £97.04 in total for the SE5a. Hannants prices actually start to look realistic.

Quite a hike over the old prices. Hannants added approx £20 to each kit on their list about two weeks ago so they must have know what the prices were going to go up to.

Surprised about that as, admittedly I didn't go all through the checkout, there was no indication that VAT was about to be added on top. Assuming it's from Weta in Holland then, in my experience of buying stuff from the continent, goods are either priced including VAT or explicitly say up front that the price is exclusive of VAT.

Ah, I've just noticed, in dark grey small font under a big bright £60.11 saying excluding applicable taxes

Got through to the paypal page and Paypal is saying £85.27 - can't work out how it got to that figure unless the Dutch have a higher rate of tax. The exchange rate must be live though as when I looked earlier it was £60.37

I was very surprised by it myself. According to the site (and they may have changed this since t'other day) it said that shipping would be from their UK,US or NZ warehouses and so I would have assumed the VAT would be included but, if you look at the site it says in small writing under the items 'Excludes applicable taxes'.

This is the thread that I started http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005887-wingnut-wings-going-live-on-wetaworkshop/

If you scroll down you will see an entry from Peter Marshall where he says he paid £87.29 in total for his DH.2 which is listed at £60.11 on Weta the same as the SE5a

I think I will be continuing to snipe for pre-loved kits on ebay

I wonder as a matter of interest how much do the kits cost in New Zealand? And if you buy a kit in NZ and bring it back to the UK do you need to pay VAT?

Hmmm not sure how it works. Just looked up a shop in New Zealand called Modelair and their Pfalz D.III comes in at just shy of £70.

I think that if you were only bringing in one kit as a 'gift' then you would avoid the VAT but it's a long way to go to save £20. Better hunting ebay for bargains as there isn't a great deal of bidding on WnW kits when they come up unless they are particularly hard to find and, even then, if no-one else is stalking the auctions you might get a great deal.

In the example of the Pfalz there is one currently on ebay 'Buy it Now' for £70 plus £6.90 shipping and Kissenberth's Roland D.VI for 'Buy it now' of £75 plus £6.90 shipping from the same seller.

I rather suspected we would see a rather significant increase in prices once someone else entered the food chain and overseas postage was added. The PF 'Handling Fee' was a most unwelcome 'extra' in the total cost equation but you always had the off chance and gamble of getting one or two parcels under the HMRC radar; especially at peak times like Xmas when a lot of stuff must have just been getting waved through the depots. I once got a 4 kit order delivered without any HMRC charges and it was the best Christmas present I had that year!

Glad I stocked up on what I wanted before the exchange rate crash AND the price increase.

Gary

Edited by redcap

Ah, I've just noticed, in dark grey small font under a big bright £60.11 saying excluding applicable taxes

Got through to the paypal page and Paypal is saying £85.27 - can't work out how it got to that figure unless the Dutch have a higher rate of tax. The exchange rate must be live though as when I looked earlier it was £60.37

It seems that Dutch VAT is 21%, and as that's where they're based within the EU, that's the rate they have to charge.

This is good news for the small cottage industries. For example - at £140 Aviattics forthcoming Ballila kits (which by the way looks stunning) will not appear to be over priced in comparison to WNW especially when you compare the contents of one to the other.

Regards

Dave