Spitfire Mk.V Manifold Exhausts

Super Aereo

Again one question due to my library being packed up: were the six exhaust tubes present on some Spitfire Mk.V in 1944-45 linked to particular marks of the Merlin engine? I seem to remember that they were, but which marks..?

The cropped exhausts weren't seen on all LF Mk.Vs. My belief is that they went with the Merlin 55M, but I've never seen that (or any other idea) confirmed. Bear in mind that some pilots saw them almost as status symbols so they might be seen on any late-war Mk.V.

• Like 1

Aircrafts built with the external armour retained this to the very end, even if updated with other late war features. The structure of the different windscreens was such that the new one could not be installed on the old one.

When I built my Portuguese Spitfire V I noticed how several of their aircrafts had the combination of external armoured windscreen, six exhaust stubs and late enlarged horn elevators. IIRC all these had been retrofitted with the Merlin 55

• Like 1

From Shores et al Mediterranean Air War Vol 3: 25th April 1943 " Flt Lt Mackie returned to the unit... bringing with him the special stub exhausts which he had fitted to this Spitfire Mk.V, which materially improved its performance" p583 has a photo of this aircraft, JK715 SN.A with six stubs a side. Presumably these were liberated from a Mk.IX or appropriate stores. I was aware that Mackie was one of the pilots with 6-a-side on his Mk.V, but hadn't realised it was quite this early.

• Like 2