Wingnut Wings "Building the....." books worth buying?

Beardie

I think they are really good. I have them all and I wish there were more. Think of them as very detailed step by step build reviews. My only criticism is that the photos are sometimes too small to clearly see the detail and or modification being described. I've built the Albatros DV and Fokker DVII and found them to be essential reference material.

Edited by iang

I agree with the post above about the photos being so smalll as to be, in truth, pretty useless as a visual aid if that is the intention of their inclusion?

Some reviews are better than others and the one they did for the first batch release of WNW kits which had the J1, Brisfit, SE5a (and whatever the other one was?) was very good indeed. Likewise their DV and DVa edition. I have to say however the Fokker DVII book which cost me in excess of 20 quid I found somewhat limiting and disapointing as the builds were simply variations on a common theme with a lot of "I covered this in the 'X' build so won't repeat or elaborate again' etc..... A bit like a 2 hours film crammed into 3!

My own personal opinion of course but personally, I think their use as modelling aid publications (and a picture paints a thousand words) would be greatly enhanced if they included some proper sized pictures of the model as it is being built rather than thumbnail pics about 1.5" squared which show nothing (in detail) about what is under discussion.

Others of course may well disagree.

Gary

Edited by redcap

• 1 month later...

I don't have any of these, but I do have the F.E.2b book produced by The Vintage Aviator and the level of detail and pictures is outstanding, and for modellers of the WnW Fee should find it very useful indeed.

A bit like a 2 hours film crammed into 3!

:D Only if it doesn't have five different endings!

Edited by nuuumannn

Hi Beardie,

I have all the Albatros Publications, "How to...", tomes and find them very good value for money. Also Ray Rimmel has done a number of extended builds in various editions of Windsock International, which have proved to be rather useful. Some of the images can be a little on the small side, but I find that in conjunction with the text there is no problem. Plus you can always email Ray to elucidate a query.

Unfortunately they are all packed away for the still impending move to Tanzania, so I am unable to provide a list.

Sorry.

Christian, exiled to africa

Hi Christian thanks for the input, I have the Gotha one now, I got it with the Gotha from Bushbrit66 (Many thanks again Sean :thumbsup: ) and it does look like it will be a real help in building the kit which is a monster!