what scifi stuff has the postman delivered to you today?

The other goodies I pre-ordered from Hobby Search turned up today :) So I finally have Ramba Ral's Commando set, a very small Musai, two tiny Magella tanks and an enormous Hildolfr.

That should be the end of it for a while as I'm trying not to buy any new models this year - but pre-orders don't count, right?

There are plenty of pics of the parts on the HS website as is usual for Japanese kits, but briefly:

* The Musai (1/1700) is the standard Zeon mobile suit carrier - it's a green starship and has nacelles sort of like an upside-down Enterprise crossed with a sub. The kit is small and very sharply done, with a tiny etched fret for antennae and clear parts for the bridge.

* The Magella tanks (1/144) are also tiny - about as big as a 1/72 Sherman? Again nicely detailed, you get two, and they have link-and-length tracks :) The turret of each is a pop-up fighter thing.

* Ramba Ral has several nice figures, a bike and a Zaku head in 1/35 - so the head is quite big! As well as some soldiery and Ramba, they include Hamon and I think M'Quve? They're rather nice, recognisably the characters but e.g. the hair is dialled back a bit from the anime.

* The Hildolfr (1/144) is a giant transforming tank which contains/is a robot torso. Rather lower to the ground than the Zaku tank. Not sure what else needs to be said about this, it's a beast.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Will Vale said:

*snip* cool Gundam stuff

*seething with jealousy*

Anyway, I got this this morning. Never seen any 00 but for £29 for a mahoosive HG kit (plus free LEDs) I couldn't resist.

2017-01-30_11-58-34

Excuse the crap picture. Here's what It looks like built up:

hg-gundam-harute-final-battle-ver-hobby-

• Like 2

I always thought these quality books would be like £100+ so when i found out they could be had for £13 each, i got 3  Beautiful beauuuuuutiful artwork! :inlove:

Star Wars Art: Concept

514FBvyXwyL._SY416_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

51aW3k9f6wL._SY463_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Art of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

51U69HaMXKL._SY458_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also recently got some Hot Toys 1/6 that might get some weathering: Luke Farmboy, Young Han, Rey and coming soon TFA Chewie.

:pilot:

• Like 8

managed to drop into the post office last week and collect my Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex model.

Got it for just over £130..(and an extra £12.12 in customs charges) which given the increasing rarity of the original kit was in my opinion a steal.

i've wanted to build this since way back when i first played Metal Gear Solid on the playstation..

Boxart Metal Gear Rex KP221 Kotobukiya

Edited by langy
re-edit
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Got a 'glow in the dark' edition of the old AMT kit of the Leif Ericson this week. I don't really care about the glow in the dark feature and do not plan on using it- if I find somebody willing to swap it for a regular styrene version I would be glad to.

The reason I go this kit was that many years ago I had an original release (the one with the small plastic record with an audio story). That model is no longer around and I wanted to get another chance on doing this kit justice now that my skill level is better. I plan on totally reworking the hangar bay and aft panel for starters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not one but TWO of these:

macross-armored-factory-1-100-japan-impo

The Bandai re-release of the 1/100 Macross Armored [sic] Factory. Originally released by Imai (and Licensed by Revell as the Robotech Factory) in the mid 80s.

One of the sets is incomplete as it is missing two of the boom-trucks but as I only wanted for Macross stuff I'm not bothered (the other will be used for HG 1/144 scale gunpla stuff). Also, for the princely sum of 35 quid for both (shipped) I really can't complain, especially as they seem to be going for between $80-110 on ebay/Amazon.

The Armored Valkyrie is a bit ropey, but that comes with the territory. The Destroid on the other hand is really quite nice, especially compared to what Bandai was putting out at the same time (have you seen 80s gunpla kits? *shudder*), but is still very much of its time as sub-assemblies are a no-no unless you do quite a lot of work to it. Being that I now have two I'm considering fitting one out as a Destroid Defender with a pair of the NG 1/144 Gatlings from the Endless Waltz version of Gundam Heavyarms.

I've also ordered one of the 1/100 Wave Valkyrie Production Types to go with the Hanger as my limited collection of Macross stuff is all, of course, in the wrong scale.

• Like 3

Congratulations!

IIRC from the discussions about the upcoming Moebius kit 30" should work out to 1:144 scale- lots of fun diaplay opportunities!

Did it come with pods?

If not Stargazer has a 1:144 Orion cargo version that comes with a couple of pods, you might want to contact him about seeing if you could get a couple of them without the kit...

BTW- what size is the Command Sphere?

On 13/03/2017 at 0:58 PM, Richard Baker said:

Congratulations!

IIRC from the discussions about the upcoming Moebius kit 30" should work out to 1:144 scale- lots of fun diaplay opportunities!

Did it come with pods?

If not Stargazer has a 1:144 Orion cargo version that comes with a couple of pods, you might want to contact him about seeing if you could get a couple of them without the kit...

BTW- what size is the Command Sphere?

Hi Richard,

Thanks.  No it didn't come with pods so I may follow up on your idea.

Size of command sphere ... hmm ... good question ... can't remember off hand so I'll measure it and get back to you.

Pete

One of these, which I've been after for a while and was recently re-printed by Bandai:

10095816a2.jpg

And one of these, which is much cooler than Gypsy Danger:

000010328_01.jpg

...and a 22 quid ransom charge off of Royal Fail.

• Like 5

Hey, Gypsy Danger is ever so cool :)

I didn't know they'd re-issued the Ground War set - I have the other one with the tanks, but I'd like the EF version as well. Thanks for the heads-up!

Will

• Like 1

On 16/03/2017 at 1:14 AM, Will Vale said:

Hey, Gypsy Danger is ever so cool :)

I didn't know they'd re-issued the Ground War set - I have the other one with the tanks, but I'd like the EF version as well. Thanks for the heads-up!

Will

Not that cool. We both know that when it comes to giant robits that one eye is cooler than two (the fact that it was based on my favourite design, the Zaku, helps too).

The Ground war set appears to be OOS on HLJ and Banzai Hobby at the moment, but there's always backorder. I have the other too, with the dodgy Zaku II (if they'd waited 6 months it could have come out with the far superior F2 variant kit). I did a naff job of it (with even more naff photography) a month or so back:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had one of these delivered today:

142859ffjejhk3jzadmmhf.jpg

The new(ish) HGUC GM Ground Type, to add to my 8th MS Team collection. Looks a really nice kit from looking at the sprues with the only seamline being the tops of the shoulders as the thighs are single piece mouldings, which is nice.

Though I in fact ordered two of them, this being the second, as the first was delivered by Amazon into my recycling bin, which was by the side of the road...waiting to be picked up. So I'm guessing that that one's in the care of the local council's recycling centre now. Got a fairly swift refund from Amazon though and a couple of extra months of prime into the bargain so it's not all bad I suppose.

Also, as it was my 30th just last week I recieved a present off of the missus in the form of one of these:

l_infinity%20cr%20plus%20def.jpg

Which is a beautiful piece of kit (as it should be for the price) which I've yet to have a chance to use.

Lastly, this hasn't arrived yet so I'm stretching it a bit here, but I finally went and bought the ACE Model Deep Striker which I've been on the fence about for nearly two years, the reviews are 'average' but I find that with a lot of 3rd party gunpla stuff as large portions of the community only snap-build the kits so when it doesn't quite go together as well as a Bandai kit the dummies get spat out. I'd love to see their take on a short-run  Eastern European kit...

Anyway, even at 144th scale it's a beast at around 24" long and 18" or so tall. Here's a piccy:

T2EVrdXtJaXXXXXXXX_!!56559379.jpg

• Like 4

The ACE is a fantastic looking bit if kit and would to agree on the reviews, what a lot of bandai gundam builder's don't realize is that bandai is the exception here and kits that take a load of filling, drilling, sanding etc and are the norm. Its what makes this hobby interesting.

That AB drooooool!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

The ACE is a fantastic looking bit if kit and would to agree on the reviews, what a lot of bandai gundam builder's don't realize is that bandai is the exception here and kits that take a load of filling, drilling, sanding etc and are the norm. Its what makes this hobby interesting.

That AB drooooool!

Aye, don't get me wrong I'd love it if every kit were Bandai/Tamiya level of quality but the wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the community around the odd fit issue is tiresome at times. 

Having watched two unboxings and the subsequent reviews it seems ok to me and £70, though not a small amount of money, seems pretty good for what you're getting (which appears to be a scaled down copy of the G-Systems 1/100 resin kit). 

• Like 1

That's the airbrush I have, after finding it on special locally a few years ago - it's great! Easy to clean and the needle travel limiter (that turny cap thing with the numbers) is useful for fine work.

Which needle/nozzle set(s) did you get?

The deep striker is pleasingly insane :)

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Vale said:

That's the airbrush I have, after finding it on special locally a few years ago - it's great! Easy to clean and the needle travel limiter (that turny cap thing with the numbers) is useful for fine work.

Which needle/nozzle set(s) did you get?

The deep striker is pleasingly insane :)

Will

I'm looking forward to giving it a go (though I have tried one out at a show last year). I went with the 0.2 and 0.4, I don't intend to try and paint Wargames miniatures with it so the 0.15 felt like overkill.

The Deep Striker is a bit bonkers isn't it? But that's Gundam Sentinel for you. There's more pictures of the studio painted build in the link below: 

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2014/02/ace-model-1100-deep-striker-painted.html?m=1

• Like 2