Very interesting! Looks like the base colour was indeed the culprit all along. Looking through the book "Tomcat Alley" by David F. Brown, I've noticed several Tomcats of this era that may also be painted Light Grey FS. 36495. The trouble is  Light Gull Grey  FS. 36440  when faded and extremely matt can be hard to distinguish from Light Grey FS. 36495 unless there happens to be a Light Gull Grey and White painted aircraft in the same colour photo. There is a photo of a VF-41 Tomcat in overall Light Gull Grey with what could only be Light Grey FS. 36495 re-spray patches all over it, and in that photo the subtle differences can be seen.

This opens up a :worms: on this subject that I won't kick off here, but is interesting to note.

Richard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well here are some of the latest mission models air paints courtesy of @TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED !!!

I have used mission paints before when they first came out and was impressed, so these were expected to perform the same, just new colours to play with. 

Gary sent me the modern American FS colours to suit my current tomcat building theme - 3 tps greys, two gull greys (1/3)6640 and the dark gull / cockpit grey. Plus the additional new metal shades as they only did a burnt iron when they did the first release. The next new cat I start in this WIP will feature these as its clothes. 

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

So I have started to compile a colour chart to compare the shades. Colour can be a touchy subject as some people like the real shade, some people like scale effect etc. Plus weathering can change the final look too. Its also depends on the research/references the manufacturer used. Enough of that. 

I sprayed some out alongside some others I had to hand, Mr Paint, Mr Color and Mig Ammo. More brands will be added and the over the coming weeks. 

I used some white plastic card and primed with black stynylrez.

They were all sprayed solid to get the full tone. The mission being sprayed straight from the bottle. 

The mission tps paints look good as a trio, I think they look darker than what they are because they are next to the light mig ammo shades (scale effect?) Anyways here they are: 

Left to right as per the bottles behind. Light ghost across the top, Dark ghost in the centre and then Medium/Blue grey along the bottom. 

IMG_0651.jpg

Close up

IMG_0652.jpg

Different angles and better lighting changes the shades slightly and now ignoring the mig ammo the other three are quite similar. 

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Its all well and good not to mention easy to spray out colour swatches. 

So what are they like to work with in more real conditions?

Well I sprayed some card again with grey primer and did some loose preshading. 

This time I thinned the paint and used the poly mix resin additive - its like a strengthening agent and drying retarder to help stop tip dry, the paint stays wetter for a bit longer so on the surface it levels out more and dries to a tough satin sheen. 

I mixed it in the cup, 4 drops of colour to one drop each of the thinner and poly (which puts each additive at 25% to the paint) 

This was all sprayed freehand at 15psi with a 0.35mm iwata neo. 

Really tight spray pattern - impressive for a waterbased paint. 

I'd be more than happy to do a kit freehand in 72nd scale. 48th would be so easy. 

The left edge was done solid colour with the tightest soft edge I could get. The rest was done to allow the preshade to show through. I also tried to do some of the sprayed touch ups as seen on TPS paint. Never been able to do fine work like that with waterbased acrylics. 

Now remember this was done fairly quick this afternoon to get this posted so could be even better if was done on an actual kit. 

Blue grey going on.

IMG_0644.jpg

Light ghost 'touch ups'

IMG_0645.jpg

Whole area. Most dense on left. 

IMG_0648.jpg

So this is really nice paint, easy to work with, easy clean up, fast drying and no smells. 

Next - looking forward to trying out the two gull greys. They seem different in the bottles. I have read somewhere that 16440 and 36440 were different gull greys, and not just the gloss and flat versions of the same paint. 

I will get around to those soon, along with the metals, hopefully tomorrow. 

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 3

More mission testing!

Now we have two gulls, radome tan and dark gull sprayed. 

Mr Paint was used for the navy white and black. I tried to arrange the colours next to each other as you would see on early/high viz usn planes eg gull over white with a tan nose and anti glare panels on top etc. Some vf111 tomcats had a dark gull area infront of windshield. 

The whole test panel was coated in satin varnish to level out the difference in sheens. The 16440 is glossy out of the bottle. 

For the two gull greys, 36440 is on the left, 16440 on the right... 

IMG_0669.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 4

Update on the vf-111...

So I am continuing the akan theme with the detail painting for this bird, even though the akan gull airframe has been covered over with Mr Color 36495. 

I will do another build in this wip to give the akan gull another airing one day...

Anyways here are some of the bits being done, pictures are self explanatory of which is what. 

A few upgrades for this one - I am using some spare P&W afterburner etch from a hasegawa B GE kit's redundant fret. Nozzles are aires again. 

Quite looking forward to seeing it finished with the mixed loadout from this transitional period of paints and missles from the early 80's - white to ghost grey and the M/L variants of the Aim-7/9 respectively coming in...

Missiles are Brassin by the way, bought from @Mikemx at mjwmodels earlier this year 👍🏿

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Thanks for looking 👍🏿

• Like 4

Some more vf111 details. 

Missiles - ended up mixing some slightly different variations of bare metal using the black steel and gunmetal to give the heads some interest. Including a touch of green as well for one of them to give it that look they have sometimes. 

All bands behind sidewinder heads were done in the gunmetal with silver straps/clamps

Sparrow fins brushed in a 50/50 mix of the gunmetal and black steel.

IMG_0608.jpg

Exhausts had some panels picked out with some mixed shades using the above mentioned metals including the purple shade that they were to begin with all mixed with brown to get a more burnt look. 

IMG_0609.jpg

Next is the cowl/farings:

grey bits covered over with maskol then all sprayed with the akan gunmetal. Some of the panels then picked out by brush with the purple metal and a lighter mix of the gunmetal (aluminium mixed in)

They then had a good glossing and some dark brown 'track wash' to highlight my wonky scribing. 

(Currently mastering some hasegawa parts with all their engraved detail to cast for future P&W engined cats - more on that in another post) 

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

Missile decals starting to go on -

IMG_0622.jpg

Various grey tones being used for panel line washes on the airframe. Ps quite pleased with the 'blotchy' look to the finish from the black basing. 

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

Thats all for now...

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful progress Tony, the contrast on the VF-111 decals looks spot on.

Thanks for the Mission Models paint update, I've been curious about them ever since I first saw them in your F-16 thread.

Cheers Cookie, glad I persevered with it. Although I will be glad to see the back of this sundowner. The vf 21 that I started along with this current trio (vf 14 and vf 111 nee vf 114) has stalled as not sure what direction I want that to go in so to speak.

Currently trying to choose some schemes to suit the next pair that will wear the mission paints - one in gull and one in tps. Leaning towards a tps B line bird from vf 142 OR a tps A from vf 124 (both of which will require some creativeness/home made bits with regards to decals) and then for the Gull perhaps a black finned red tick CAG 'A' of vf 24. 

Once this vf111 bird is done I think I am going to revisit the spitfire saga and 'finish it' Speaking of which that's why it was delayed to wait for the mission air paint to do one of the additional three in those paints, however they only have the early 'Battle of Britain'  shades so to speak, no ocean or msg as of yet. So I may just get the decals on the six I have painted so far but then there won't be a chance for fresh/raw paint brand comparison with all 9 airframes together. 

Oh well. 

Sorry for all the rambling. 

Tony

• Like 1

Looking forward to your upcoming F-14's with the Mission paints Tony, and the return of your Spitfire epic.

The only Dark Earth/Dark Green Mk IX I know of is the one used in the 60's for filming the "Battle of Britain" movie, but it could be an interesting addition while also allowing for using the new paints.

• Thanks 1

A bit of a long winded and enlightening post with regards to formation light panels :coat:

So the hobbyboss kit as it is comes with decals for the light panels, just the yellow bit. This is fine on the nose as there are the engraved panel lines that the decals sit in. However on the flanks and tail tops there isn't, so the decal looks a little 'lost' - see here on some earlier builds - vf31 & vf 101. 

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

On hasegawa kits the set up is similar, however they get away with the lack of engraved detail by providing a more comprehensive decal with a 'frame' on it - see here on the vf102 build which I used a full set of hasegawa decals including the said strips - tails and flanks shown only because the nose is the same as the vf31 above. 

IMG_0779.jpg

On my vf213 build I used the dream model etch set which includes 8 etch panels to represent the lights. These provide the most detail in this area and in my opinion look great. 

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

So where is all this going you may ask?

Well seeing as I have loads of hobbyboss and then hasegawa tomcats still to do, and buying the etch sets for all of them will be prohibitively expensive. The other option would be to use the decal stips from my hasegawa kits in the stash on the HB builds, but then that leaves those kits lacking them and having same problem in the future or loss of resale value. 

So I am having custom some etch made up with PPD in Scotland. The strips will work on all future builds - hobbyboss/hasegawa/fujimi etc. 

Lots of careful tiny measurements and scaled drawings were required. 

Seeing as I was having some etch done I tried to think of something else easy to draw up for them to make that would be worthwhile and add some extra detail or make the most of them being thin parts. After looking and trying to replicate on paper several of the various grills and vents on the airframe I gave up because most were too complicated to try and get equal spaced slits 0.3mm apart or whatever. 

So in the end I went for some sidewinder fins. Easy to draw up and most plastic moulded fins are way too large and thick, and should prove easy to replace. 

Here is one of proof/pdf of the parts during the correspondence and they will be with me very soon...

The fret has been since modified so that the fin attachment point is on its stub so no clean up will be required on removal and another pair of fins added top right.

So that will enable one fret to do a plane with its 8 light panels and two sidewinders (8 fins with two spare for the carpet monster, he is very hungry) 👍🏿 

IMG_0581.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 5

The etch has landed! 

48 frets. Enough for plenty of builds. Worked out around just over £1 a fret. I may sell some along with some of the improvement bits I have mastered as part of an update set for hobbyboss cats. 

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

• Like 3

Time to grime up the sundowner! 

Using this maskol technique and postshade again to get it dirty and give it that 'touched up' paint job effect.

This bird already had this done once before when she was in gull grey and pre decals.

Think I may do it at this stage from now on so that the markings get the same effect on them too... 

So maskol applied along panel lines, rivets, and areas that will be be 'fresh' paint. 

IMG_0813.jpg

Postshade was done with a dirty brown grey mixed from these two 

IMG_0822.jpg

Post shade on

IMG_0817.jpg

Maskol off. 

IMG_0819.jpg

In detail, 

IMG_0821.jpg

Quite strong in places so...

IMG_0818.jpg

Then I toned it down in placeds with this light blue really thinned.

Sprayed along the soft edge of the brown bits trying to avoid the hard brown edge which gives the contrast and the look of fresh paint. Also faded some of the markings with a light mist coat (Not shown)

Its not that easy when first doing the postshade to see if you've done enough because of all the maskol, so better to go bold and then reduce it back/blend it in than have to remaskol and postshade again because there's no 'border' left from it. (Don't ask how I know) 

IMG_0824.jpg

Further thoughts - 

One thing I would like to try in the future is to combine the salt technique along with this maskol thing to get the more blotchy salt stained look to the base colour than what I can obtain through black basing.

Also perhaps leave some of the maskol on some ares when moving onto the salt step so not all of the 'touch ups' made by the maskol have the salt stains on them. 

Just like on a real plane I suppose  when the corrosion touch ups are of different levels of 'freshness' from over the months of a cruise... 

Thanks for looking

• Like 10

Hey Tony i know that up to now this project has been very HobbyBoss-centric. You mentioned that you also had some Hasegawa Tomcats in the stash as well. Can't remember if you mentioned building one yet or not. If you have built the "New" Hasegawa Tomcat, any thoughts/tips on basic construction?? The 48th scale one is infamous, but i heard the 72nd scale one isn't quite as bad...

Thanks,

-d-

1 hour ago, David H said:

Hey Tony i know that up to now this project has been very HobbyBoss-centric. You mentioned that you also had some Hasegawa Tomcats in the stash as well. Can't remember if you mentioned building one yet or not. If you have built the "New" Hasegawa Tomcat, any thoughts/tips on basic construction?? The 48th scale one is infamous, but i heard the 72nd scale one isn't quite as bad...

Thanks,

-d-

Hi David, just the seven (when the sundowners is complete) hobbyboss cats so far. 

Yeah I have several hasegawa cats in the stash, along some fujimi and finemolds too. 

Not built any of those yet, but would like to soon, perhaps next year. 

Actually because of the fact that these hobbyboss cats built so far have had several upgrades courtesy of hasegawa, I have thought to rename this thread 'too many hobbygawa tomcats' :lol:

Plus then that way I can continue building hasegawa cats alongside in this WIP and not start a new thread for those...

Tony. 

On 22/08/2017 at 17:23, Cookenbacher said:

Looking forward to your upcoming F-14's with the Mission paints Tony, and the return of your Spitfire epic.

The only Dark Earth/Dark Green Mk IX I know of is the one used in the 60's for filming the "Battle of Britain" movie, but it could be an interesting addition while also allowing for using the new paints.

Just tried to order but they're sold out! :( 

• Sad 1

A few bits have turned up, perhaps to be used with this project or moved on not sure yet. 

First we have some resin wheels by true details. Came from America. 

Supposed 3D printed masters were used.

The front wheels are absolutely gorgeous, crisp with loads of side wall detail on the tires, and amazing hub nuts with a split pin and everything.

The main wheels are ok, if a little disappointing when compared to the fronts. Correct D/late hubs but the detail on them is a bit soft. The writing on the sidewalls is blurry - Goodyear and Aircraft Rib on opposing sides, same as the reskit wheels. When looking at D tires it seem this is all they had on them. In contrast on the new attack squadron 'D' spec wheels, the tires have the same as the above mentioned but also loads of other data & depressions on their sidewalls, like a reskit A/B tire. 

IMG_0542.jpg

I will try and get a picture of all these wheels together one day, a picture paints a thousand words.  

Next is some decals! 

From hobbylink japan. 

Some brand I have never come across for a vf31 santa cat and then some Modelkasten ones meant for the finemolds D kit, and a 'B' jolly rogers sheet to go with the resin backdating set MK did (Gru-7 seats, TCS and Instrument panels for the finemolds D kit) Cag 100 and CO 103 birds from 60 year anni, last cruise, Christmas special, low viz etc... 

These Modelkasten decals are printed perfectly with readable stencils etc, everywhere is really crisp. They are a tad on the thick side though. 

Seeing as I dont want to do any of the ubiquitous jolly rogers, and have already done 101/31/213 squadrons alot of the sheets may not end up being used. I do like the 106 line VF2 bird though...

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

Thanks for Looking. 

• Like 3

Great going Tony. I would be interested in those etch sets of yours.

Have you plans for a light gull grey/white aircraft ?

Robert

33 minutes ago, Robert said:

Great going Tony. I would be interested in those etch sets of yours.

Have you plans for a light gull grey/white aircraft ?

Robert

Yeah ok mate PM me and we can chat about it. 

Ref the gull and white scheme - yes one day hopefully! 

Sundowners pilots - a chance to add a touch of colour. 

Never seen helmet decals in 1/72 so far (although they may be out there?) but would be tricky due to size and carrier film etc. 

So these are the quickboost pilots in the gru-7 seats. Akan paints as per rest of this build. 

Heads primed in white for easy colour application and some parts will remain white too. 

IMG_0899.jpg

Remainder done in black. Pliots and seats need picking out in green and khaki. 

IMG_0900.jpg

Stripes going on. 

IMG_0907.jpg

They have this little shark fin character on the sides. 

IMG_0908.jpg

Eyes/mouth added to sharks. 

IMG_0909.jpg

Faces done in a beige and then gunship grey for padding inside. 

IMG_0910.jpg

Not too bad! 

IMG_0911.jpg

No pictures of the pilots/seats as of yet but nothing special there really. 

Currently all had a gloss coat for the data decals on the sides of the headrests and then a wash to add some depth. Probably will be black on seats/pilots and brown on faces. 

Should appear ok under a closed canopy. 

Thanks for looking!

• Like 11

I really like that touchup paint weathering technique, I might try it out with my next build. 

Always trying to diversify from the tried and true panel shading / paint chipping effect...

Is maskol quite hard to remove? I've never used liquid mask before.

Great work on the tomcats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Squibby said:

Is maskol quite hard to remove? I've never used liquid mask before.

Hi mate, thanks for the positive feedback!  

The maskol isn't too bad as long as you are carefull and know what you're doing. (As with most things!)

A few tips - 

Try avoid putting it on matt paint. Because you are putting on tiny & thin bits of maskol the matt rough paint can absorb it and really hold onto it making it tough to remove. 

If your paint is matt put a coat of varnish to bring it up to at least a smoother satin sheen. This will help the maskol come off much easier. 

The best way I have found is to roll/rub some blue tac/white tac across it. This helps it ball up then you can grab it with your fingers and peel it off, with large adjoining sections coming off together. 

If however the paint has a good hold of it (a problem which happened when I first did this technique on the vf-14 Tophatters) then you may have to resort to using toothpicks/tweezers to scratch it off or lay some tape on the maskol bits to pull them off. 

Be aware though that these last two methods invariably end up with damage to fragile acrylics. 

Hence the best practice of putting down a satin coat, or using satin greys, or using tougher paint (eg enamel or lacquer acrylics) and then rubbing/rolling the maskol off come removal time. 

This Sundowner had its respray (markings fiasco) with tough mr colour 338 satin light grey lacquer acrylic so the maskol went on and off very easily. 

The previously done soft, matt mig ammo acrylic painted Tophatter not so much. Will varnish pre-maskol next time with these. 

Hope that helps!

Tony

• Thanks 1